MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Most heartbreaking election

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Which presidential election result did you take the hardest?

72 Nixon McGovern
No votes
76 Carter Ford
No votes
80 Reagan Carter
4%
84 Reagan Mondale
8%
88 Bush Dukakis
No votes
92 Clinton Bush
8%
96 Clinton Dole
No votes
Y2K Bush Gore
46%
04 Bush Kerry
17%
08 Obama McCain
17%

Total votes : 24

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:11 am

Go with the "it was a JOKE you tight assed idiots" thing if you want Huck but in these days and these times, jokes about multiple homicides and suicide are in the absolute poorest of taste and I don't think you can find a forum anywhere that would let that one slide.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 am

Huckleby wrote:a lot of severely constricted sphincters around here. Maybe an aerobics class might help.

or you could try being funny? :D

Seriously though, your joke is probably a little too plausible for people to see the humor in it.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 am

Huckleby wrote:If the Republicans take all branches of federal gov, I'm taking some other people with me to the afterlife.

The reason so many here don't get Hucklesby's black humor is because the sentiment hits them so close to home.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 am

jokes sometimes fall flat. I'm sorry if some people took it as plausible. For those who did take it at face value, you probably got a little thrill up your leg thinking you had happened upon a psycho. Followed by the fun of condemning me.

So even in worst case, the incident was not devoid of entertainment value. Happy Halloween.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am

I picked the 2000 Bush-Gore election because I doubt we would have attacked and invaded Iraq under President Gore. The unnecessary loss of life (probably in the hundreds of thousands, and the carnage is still continuing) was and is a tragedy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am

Meade wrote:The reason so many here don't get Hucklesby's black humor is because the sentiment hits them so close to home.

It hits me close to home, and now that you mention it, I don't find it funny either. I will be inconsolable for months if the Republicans take the Presidency and Senate. My passion is for universal health care, and for the first time in my life, it is so close, so close.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 am

Meade wrote:Hucklesby's black humor

What was the name of the 'toon who referred to Huckleberry Hound as "Hucklesberree" with a bogus French accent?

Best Meade posting yet.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:34 am

scratch wrote:Best Meade posting yet.

And I think we can all agree that's saying a lot.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:34 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I picked the 2000 Bush-Gore election because I doubt we would have attacked and invaded Iraq under President Gore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFBl0fnMUVc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i87cZ3Og ... re=related
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:38 am

rabble wrote:Go with the "it was a JOKE you tight assed idiots" thing if you want Huck but in these days and these times, jokes about multiple homicides and suicide are in the absolute poorest of taste and I don't think you can find a forum anywhere that would let that one slide.

People who are offended are not tight-assed idiots. I see that the joke could be very offensive. "Idiocy" has nothing to do with it anyway.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:45 am

Since when does posting a couple links to youtube videos (without further comment) substitute for a rational rebuttal?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Since when does posting a couple links to youtube videos (without further comment) substitute for a rational rebuttal?

Since when are any of Meade's posts rational.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Since when does posting a couple links to youtube videos (without further comment) substitute for a rational rebuttal?

What makes you think it was meant to substitute for a rebuttal?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:or you could try being funny? :D

Seriously though, your joke is probably a little too plausible for people to see the humor in it.

When somebody says "I could kill for a cigarette", it's not a homocidal indicator, it's a joke, albeit one not expected to reap a hah-hah. It's colorful language, hyperbole to express a strong feeling, only slightly funny.

My spiteful prosecuters omitted the "merely suicidal" part from their quotes, since it suggested I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. But bottom line is that the line was as welcome as an unflushed toilet, too plausible as you say. So shoot me. No - not really, that's another joke.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Huckleby wrote:My spiteful prosecuters omitted the "merely suicidal" part from their quotes, since it suggested I was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

Oh for Christ ...

First of all, just admit you said something stupid and suck it up. You don't have to whine about it afterward. You're acting like my five-year-old when he's caught doing something he shouldn't.

Secondly, more than offensive, I find your post reflects poor judgement. In this day and age, it's not wise to talk about taking people out on a web forum (or Facebook, or whatever the cyber-confessional flavor of the week is). There are too many examples of people following through. It's kind of liking making a bomb joke when you're standing in the security line at the airport. Just not the wisest move one could make and something that could cause you a lot of grief, worst case.

Believe me, I'm not on track to win any awards for tastefulness around here, but given that you've already voiced a certain level of despondency regarding this election, your comment left a lot of wiggle room for folks to question whether and to what extent you were joking. I honestly figured you were. But it's not the same as saying "I could kill for a cigarette" and you damn well know it. It's not even the same as saying, for example, that somebody should get all the conservative members of congress in the same room and drop the ceiling on them (which, for the record, is right along the lines of something I'd say). It just isn't. If you honestly don't see the difference, I have to question your emotional intelligence quotient.

Now let's move it along, shall we?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government