MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

What if banks were run like elections?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: What if banks were run like elections?

Postby other i » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 am

What if WEDC was run like a business?
other i
Forum Addict

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:31 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Not all, but a great deal of the forumites here

at TDPF we're called "Forons"

Voter ID summed up in two sentences...

There is no evidence of voter fraud that ID would prevent.
If you must insist on ID then you must make them free and easy to get because of this pesky thing called the "Constitution".

Elections are not banks. The premise of this thread is just plain dumb. What if prisons were run like Waffle Houses? What if investment banks were run like shoe stores? See? Dumb.
There is a relative analogy, tho. Diebold also makes the money counting machines at the banks, and is somehow able to make millions of completely accurate transactions daily, whereas the same technology has problems counting votes. And oddly, in 140 exit polls in Wisconsin outside the margin of error compared to final results since 2008, touch screen machines have managed to pick Republicans 137 times.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:52 pm

For sake of argument let's say you put away $4,000 a year for 50 years. That is $200,000 put into SS. You are recieving $15,900 a year in benefits.

That is @ $3000 a year higher that what I receive.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 pm

jman111 wrote:
Sandi wrote:However I will never draw more than I payed in... unless I live to be around 100 or more.

Uh oh.
You must not like yourself for doing this, either.

Please keep in mind: I will not respond to trollish posts.

Edit: Oops I just did. :lol:
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Sandi wrote:
For sake of argument let's say you put away $4,000 a year for 50 years. That is $200,000 put into SS. You are recieving $15,900 a year in benefits.

Sandi wrote:Where are you coming up with other income? As I said the $1,326 is all social security.

$1,326 X 12 = $15,912

Why are yon continuing with this?
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Sandi wrote:I am retired and live on a sole income of @ $1,326 a month.

Sandi wrote:As I said the $1,326 is all social security.

Sandi wrote:

$1326/mo x 12mo/yr = $15,912/yr

Sandi, are you an "exception" to the rules of basic arithmetic, too?

edit: you beat me to it, Hawk
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What if banks were run like Sandi's household?

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:41 pm

jman111 wrote:Sandi, are you an "exception" to the rules of basic arithmetic, too?

Well, considering she doesn't see rent given to her as additional income, then I think we know what we're dealing with.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Yep, doesn't count 'cuz it goes to the mortgage. Mortgage isn't a living expense in Sandi's fantasy world.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:14 pm

And I'm calling bullshit too.

In Madison, a $125,000 house is taxed around $3000 a year at present.

This is a reasonable ballpark amount for the smallest house in which you might have an upstairs tenant paying you rent. (If she's in a very inexpensive condo with a tenant, adjust proportionally.)

If her tenant is paying $450/mo and she is getting (by her own account) $1,326/mo in SS, her monthly income is $1776.

$3000 annual taxes/12 months is $250 monthly set-aside for taxes. Her monthly remaining income is then 1776 - 250 = $1526.

She says her mortgage is $700/mo. That leaves a monthly $826 for living expenses including utilities, transportation, food, and other usuals. Take a look at a monthly average Madison utility bill on a small house and that's another bite out of her budget. Take another bite for internet service, if not cable.

A person living on $826/mo is definitely in the so-called 47%, and could never have paid for heart surgery out-of-pocket. Sandi, you must be getting medicare or medicaid to help with your health expenses. And there's no way you are buying the more expensive supplemental Medicare insurance(s) -- I know because I'm buying them myself and they would never fit in an $826/mo budget.

I'm not complaining at all -- this is what those government programs are FOR, and we should have more of them so no one is ineligible for life-saving surgeries or treatments. But how can you rail against the 53% carrying the 47% (which I don't even think is the case) when those very programs and provisions have saved your life?

If I were in your shoes I'd be trying hard to save the network of government programs that make life manageable for low-income people, not trying to destroy them. What possible motivation do you have to see them taken away?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:33 pm

My taxes are not that high, @ $2200 I think. As for medicade I refused part B ( part A is by default and not used ). As I was in the service all of my medical is through the Janesville VA clinic and Madison VA hospital. BTW the VA has the best healthcare in the country. Copay is $8 on prescriptions, and clinic or hosp visits are $15.

...and could never have paid for heart surgery out-of-pocket. Sandi, you must be getting medicare or medicaid to help with your health expenses.

I didn't say I payed for it period and didn't. Nor did taxpayers. While it is none of anyone's business, it was paid in full ($96,000) by a local charity.

Anymore of my personal life you want to dig into? :)
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 pm

There are 47 percent of the people...who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm

You get your healthcare through the VA! You're right -- that's as good as it gets. Nobody else gets a program that good.

And you know who pays for it? Taxpayers, just like with medicare and medicaid.

And paid without complaint.

At the same time, I do not see that your life and health are more valuable than another person's. In my opinion, we are all equal. So I don't like to see a non-veteran treated poorly or not treated, particularly an older person with few resources and difficult health problems.

Sandi, do you not see how inconsistent you are being? The good stuff you're getting is coming from the taxpayers. Redistribution, if you will.

Some of us think this is exactly as it should be -- including me. I would not want any of this, social security or healthcare or any other governmental assistance, taken from you or made unavailable to anyone else in need. The assistance programs we have serve a need and are an acknowledgement of social responsibility.

Would you really deny someone else of your age and health status care, even if they weren't veterans? If so, what do you think would be the correct thing for them to do for their health issues?

And if I miscalculated your monthly expendable income by $800/12, or $67 monthly, that doesn't change anything. I used publicly available numbers and numbers supplied by you -- that's no invasion of privacy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 pm

In my opinion, we are all equal.

No we are all created equal and get equal treatment under the Constitution and law. We all have equal opportunity. That means under law, not financially.

Sandi, do you not see how inconsistent you are being? The good stuff you're getting is coming from the taxpayers. Redistribution, if you will.

No I don't, but realize that opens me up to more flames from trolls ( not you ). Molst would say that it is a perk of military service, not government assistance or welfare. While I didn't serve in combat, I did serve during the unpopular Viet Nam war.

However thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm

In Madison, a $125,000 house is taxed around $3000 a year at present.

My taxes are around $2100-2200 a year, they started at $1900 when I bought the house about 10-12 years ago. The assessed value is $85000, and I paid $75000.

You have to keep in mind that I live in Janesville, not Madison and taxes as well a rent is a lot cheaper. In Madison I would have to charge a lot more for rent, but we don't have all the progressive programs to support here.

In fact I used to just rent here, but the landlord informed me that he was selling it, and a person in Madison was interested. Well that scared, because I did not want to move, nor did I want to pay a much higher rent. He may not have got what he wanted, but certainly would have raised it substantially.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Aren't property taxes in escrow usually included in mortgage payments?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government