MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What if banks were run like elections?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: What if banks were run like elections?

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:29 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Aren't property taxes in escrow usually included in mortgage payments?

Yes as they are in mine. And I guess I have derailed my own thread. :lol:
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Sandi wrote:No I don't, but realize that opens me up to more flames from trolls ( not you ). Molst would say that it is a perk of military service, not government assistance or welfare.

Well, I guess everyone is a troll then. And yes, I would agree that the VA is a perk, but it is a perk through government assistance. You see, the government is ASSISTING you with your health benefits and I think that's great. My dad gets VA assistance and he loves it. Wish I could say the same about my health care. I mean, it's an HMO so it should be superior to that government run health care of yours.

Oh and another thing about those government perks, do you think state employees who get their benefits paid for are getting too sweet of a deal and living off the taxpayers dime, or is that also a perk?

Sandi wrote:And I guess I have derailed my own thread.

That's alright, it was a pretty stupid commercial and idea anyways. :P
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Sandi wrote:
Sandi, do you not see how inconsistent you are being? The good stuff you're getting is coming from the taxpayers. Redistribution, if you will.

No I don't...

I think we're on to something now.

That damned gov't redistribution is abhorrent! Well, unless it benefits me. The 47% are being carried by the 53%! Well, except me.
The left is stupid! But not me.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:53 pm

More claims that aren't substantiated by the underlying quantifiable facts:

Sandi wrote:
In Madison, a $125,000 house is taxed around $3000 a year at present.

My taxes are around $2100-2200 a year... The assessed value is $85000, and I paid $75000.

You have to keep in mind that I live in Janesville, not Madison and taxes as well a rent is a lot cheaper. In Madison I would have to charge a lot more for rent, but we don't have all the progressive programs to support here.

3000/125000 = .024 (Madison taxes vs home valuation)

2200/85000 = .026 (Janesville taxes vs home valuation)

Given the effects of rounding and guesstimation, I'd say Madison taxes are not "cheaper" than Janesville's. I'd say they were equivalent. Your property value is lower, which is not the same thing. But as a percentage of your property value, you are paying the same for whatever programs Janesville has as I am paying for Madison's programs.

I have no idea what Janesville spends money on, but it could include programs and services for the unemployed, since your unemployment rate is on the high side these days unfortunately. I'm assuming you wouldn't want to cut those unlucky people loose with no support at a time when they most need it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 pm

If they are the same Sno that is fine with me. No argument here, just indicated what my rate is. However I know the rent for comparable 1 or 2 bedroom apartments is substantially higher in Madison.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government