MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Another GOP Voter Supression Effort Confirmed

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Another GOP Voter Supression Effort Confirmed

Postby DCB » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:42 pm

The 140 billboards warning residents of inner-city neighborhoods in Wisconsin and Ohio that they could go to jail for committing voter fraud are being taken down Monday. The move comes after the private family foundation funding them declined to make its identity known.
Clear Channel, the company that put up the advertisements, said the foundation funding the signs was mistakenly allowed to remain anonymous when it bought the billboards, a violation of the company's policy against accepting anonymous political ads.

This cowardly 'private family foundation' was trying to scare voters into not voting. Clear Channel must be feeling the heat of enabling these tactics.
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that 15 new billboards will go up this week in Cleveland that say, "Voting is a right, not a crime." Clear Channel will donate 10 of them, and the Cleveland City Council is financing the other five.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/cont ... ction.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:15 pm

DCB wrote:This cowardly 'private family foundation' was trying to scare voters into not voting.

Not denying the possibility of this effect (or the stupidity of these signs), but freaking out about it makes no sense to me. I can see being worried about being pulled over for DWB, or other racial profiling issues with law enforcement. Those things happen quite regularly. On the other hand how many people have been arrested for voter fraud in Wisconsin? Is there any reason to believe that the police are going to be hanging out next to the voting booths waiting to arrest people? I don't believe they are even allowed inside the polling place (barring an actual incident).
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:17 pm

About the only arrests for voter fraud have been felons who illegally cast ballots.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:About the only arrests for voter fraud have been felons who illegally cast ballots.

Would that happen at the polling place though? Seems like the poll workers wouldn't be expected to know who is a felon or enforce the law against them voting.

I guess that's my point though, how can these bill boards have any effect? Unless you are actually planning voter fraud, you probably can be pretty confident that you are in no danger of braking the law.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Not denying the possibility of this effect (or the stupidity of these signs), but freaking out about it makes no sense to me. [...] Is there any reason to believe that the police are going to be hanging out next to the voting booths waiting to arrest people?

I think the point is that people who are poor and powerless and who may see the police as protectors of the rich and powerful will be less likely to even go to the polls.

It's also just one of many, many obstacles that get thrown up to decrease the likelihood that poor people will actually get to vote. Require photo IDs. Make it harder to register to vote. Reduce the hours that the polls are open. Don't provide enough voting machines. Have a bunch of angry outsiders stand around at the polls challenging people, to slow down the voting process. Make the process as confusing and difficult as possible. Then close the polls on time, even if there are long lines of people who have been waiting to vote.

It's funny. I don't begrudge the good people of Waukesha County (or other wealthy conservative suburbs) their right to vote. I figure that if you want to have a government that's representative of the whole country, the percentage of people who vote ought to be as high as possible. I wouldn't want to live in a country where "my" people only cling to power by keeping other people from voting.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Maricopa County does it again.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:57 pm

And what are the chances, do you suppose, of a clean election in Ohio, our prime swing state?

And if there's tampering, which direction do you think it'll go?

None of that has anything to do with voter ID, which is why I think ID is a deliberate red herring and distraction. What happens in Ohio will be far less trivial, less visible, and less verifiable.

Speaking of the same issue, do you suppose Nate Silver (or any other analyst of poll numbers) factors in the mysterious Republican tendency for election results to exceed polling results far more than the Dem results do?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 am

Really, Republicans, aren't you embarrassed? Outraged? This shit is just unAmerican.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 am

Is it okay with you, Stu, that unions and newspapers endorse candidates to their members and readers?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 am

So, to recap: deliberate massive voter deception and threatening employees jobs should the wrong candidate win, is the same as publicly endorsing a candidate.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 am

Meade wrote:Is it okay with you, Stu, that unions and newspapers endorse candidates to their members and readers?

Still don't understand the difference between a union and a corporation, eh?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:45 am

wack wack wrote:
Meade wrote:Is it okay with you, Stu, that unions and newspapers endorse candidates to their members and readers?

Sure he does. Corporation good. Union bad.

Incidentally, the similarity here to a certain Orwellian barnyard mindset is not coincidental.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am

Wow, that makes no sense as a response to Stu. Someone's been dipping into the booze cabinet a little early this morning.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:18 pm

wack wack wrote:

Or the difference between a threat and a recommendation.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Maricopa County does it again.

Not to be outdone, so does Ohio:
Ohio's Democratic Party to call for a correction and ask that Secretary of State Jon Husted review all the board's correspondence for the past year "to ensure that there are no other errors that could disenfranchise voters.
"It was just a mistake. It is troublesome to make a mistake, but there was no effort to suppress the voting of anyone."

Right. The same state that tried to allow longer voting hours in Republican-dominated districts.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government