MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
shriners
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the VP debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Meade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 am

kurt_w wrote:I don't see anything that remotely contradicts Kevin's summary. So, from my perspective, we already have seen.

You and Kevin need to update your perspectives with the fact that the White House knew Ansar al-Sharia was claiming responsibility for the Benghazi attack within 2 hours of its start.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 pm

... and, so ...? As I said, it really doesn't change the record in any non-trivial way.

These emails are right up there with the Trump bombshell. But, as I said, if you think there's a big new scandal in the emails, feel free to promote it to your heart's content. Somehow I doubt Romney will be doing so.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Meade wrote:You and Kevin need to update your perspectives with the fact that the White House knew Ansar al-Sharia was claiming responsibility for the Benghazi attack within 2 hours of its start.

Yeah, I figured you'd jump on this news.

Extremists often immediately claim responsibility for various acts of violence. Doesn't mean that, once the facts are in, those various groups are always involved.

The key phrase is once the facts are in. If the White House had immediately blamed that group as soon as they got the claim, and then it turned out they weren't involved, you'd be jumping up and down saying how reckless the administration was in echoing unverified claims as fact.

Can't have it both ways.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Stipulating that all the facts were not in, then why did Team Obama push the story that the attack was a spontaneous uprising caused by an anti-Islam video?

Also, why did Team Obama watch live feed from a drone for 7 hours, as the attack dragged on, without ordering some kind of counter attack?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm

ilikebeans wrote: If the White House had immediately blamed that group as soon as they got the claim, and then it turned out they weren't involved, you'd be jumping up and down saying how reckless the administration was in echoing unverified claims as fact.

Especially since the emails were listed at SBU(sensitive but unclassified) I believe there is a reason they label things this way and not just classified or unclassified.

Meade wrote:without ordering some kind of counter attack?

Ya, they should have just blown the whole fucking place up. Fuck ya, 'merica.

Ah, but who am I to rain on Meade's tinfoil hat parade.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Meade rides shotgun!
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Meade wrote:
kurt_w wrote:I don't see anything that remotely contradicts Kevin's summary. So, from my perspective, we already have seen.

You and Kevin need to update your perspectives with the fact that the White House knew Ansar al-Sharia was claiming responsibility for the Benghazi attack within 2 hours of its start.

And... Here's Kevin's comments about the emails:

Yet More Non-Scandal Over Benghazi

As I said, there's really nothing there. Republicans are trying to play this up as if there was something scandalous there, but there just isn't. Zip, nada.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:49 pm

kurt_w wrote:

As I said, there's really nothing there. Republicans are trying to play this up as if there was something scandalous there, but there just isn't. Zip, nada.

We need to have an RSS feed of every piece of intel in the CIA. Anything less is a coverup worse than Watergate.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Meade wrote:

And... Here's Kevin's comments about the emails:

Yet More Non-Scandal Over Benghazi

Well, gosh. It turns out the "Benghazi emails!" furor was, sure enough, much ado about less than nothing.

Note that Meade's remark ("the White House knew Ansar al-Sharia was claiming responsibility for the Benghazi attack within 2 hours of its start") is, er, no longer operational.

As I said, the three emails released earlier this week turn out to have been quite a dud, and the hyperventilating wingnuts who seized on them now, once again, have egg on their faces.

The main conclusion we can reach here is that the conservative movement still can't be trusted to respond carefully or thoughtfully to fast-moving events on the topic of foreign policy. Putting those people back in power would be a disaster. Do we really want John Bolton screwing up everything he touches from an office in the White House again?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Sandi's gone pretty quiet too.

Huh. Well, that's the 47 percent for ya. Can't depend on 'em.

Wait a minute. They can still pull this off.
"It is possible staffers were mistaken in the heat of the moment," wrote Zelin in an email to Mother Jones. "Not only was there no statement from ASB until the following morning, but it did not claim responsibility."

Do you realize what this means? Obama employs people who make mistakes! And he KNEW about it! Sorta.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:11 pm

[...]two of the major remaining questions: what role the video played and whether the attack was planned or spontaneous.

What did Obama know and when did he know it?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Meade, your party's "shoot first, aim later" approach on foreign policy and national security has proven to be disastrous.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Meade wrote:What did Obama know and when did he know it?

Here's the thing -- it's pretty clear to me that you (and Ned, etc.) don't actually give a rat's ass about what happened in Benghazi. Be honest now, if Obama gets re-elected, is this a topic you are going to continue pursuing? Or, will the Fox nation lose interest the moment this no longer has any potential bearing on the election?
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:27 pm

nutria wrote:
Meade wrote:What did Obama know and when did he know it?

Here's the thing -- it's pretty clear to me that you (and Ned, etc.) don't actually give a rat's ass about what happened in Benghazi. Be honest now, if Obama gets re-elected, is this a topic you are going to continue pursuing? Or, will the Fox nation lose interest the moment this no longer has any potential bearing on the election?

Um, people should be impeached and/or go to jail for this regardless of the outcome of the election. Gross incompetence followed by weeks of lying and cover-up. Just to drag Obama's sorry ass over he finish line.

Pathetic.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Um, people should be impeached and/or go to jail for this regardless of the outcome of the election. Gross incompetence followed by weeks of lying and cover-up. Just to drag Obama's sorry ass over he finish line.

Pathetic.

Oh, I see -- you are still holding up the pretense that something nefarious happened. Have fun with that. I look forward to your late November updates on this.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government