MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

A Change Would Do Them Good

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

A Change Would Do Them Good

Postby brentron909 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi forons,

I'd be willing to wager that a lot of you like to go out and about in our fair city. And I bet you have strong opinions about the bars, restaurants, music venues, and other assorted establishments that you like and dislike.

What I'd like to know is, what would you specifically change to make the places you dislike more likable? Or what would make the places you already like even better?

I'll throw a few out there to get this thing started:

High Noon Saloon: Lose that damn support beam. Yeah, I know it's probably load-bearing, but it cuts into all the good sightlines. Figure out some kind of inflatable roof. Or flying buttresses maybe?

Mr. Roberts: Love the island bar and the authentically divey atmosphere, but man, the smell, THE SMELL! It's like somebody took a pair of foot-fungus inflicted gym socks, pissed all over them, and let it germinate in a warm armpit. Get some damn fabreeze already.

Forequarter: Congrats on the new place. Love the food. Lose the silly mirror behind the bar. Please write your tap list on a chalkboard so I can actually read it.

Any bar (that is not explicitly a pool hall) that has pool tables: Get rid of them. Off the top of my head, I can think of Mickey's, Player's, and the Crystal Corner. I'm sure there are more. Why you are sacrificing floor space big enough for 5 or so people to comfortably imbibe and enjoy each others company, so that a couple of antisocial clods can play a stupid game, is absolutely beyond me. It doesn't even make business sense! Also pool players are bad tippers, and generally horrible people. Just ask Professor Harold Hill.

Rant on, forons!
brentron909
Forum Addict

Re: A Change Would Do Them Good

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 pm

The last hill on my way home from work. Level it. :mrgreen:
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A "Change" Would Do Them Good

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:11 am

Happy Tears (see the movie, Demi is so pretty)

and silver dollar pancakes

and three cheers for the Golden Girls!!!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:26 am

brentron909 wrote:High Noon Saloon: Lose that damn support beam. Yeah, I know it's probably load-bearing, but it cuts into all the good sightlines. Figure out some kind of inflatable roof. Or flying buttresses maybe?

Yeah, get rid of that beam. After you climb onto the rubble that used to be the roof, the sight lines will be so much better.

I like the beam. Standing right in front of it is one of my favorite spots to watch a show; it's centrally-located, and I don't have to worry about blocking some short person's view.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:I like the beam. Standing right in front of it is one of my favorite spots to watch a show; it's centrally-located, and I don't have to worry about blocking some short person's view.

I do the same. It's great to lean against.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:33 pm

WAIT one freakin' minute. The beam is MY spot. I've already marked it.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:35 pm

And it only cuts into "all the good sightlines" if you stand behind it.

Plenty of room up front.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:48 pm

ilikebeans wrote:WAIT one freakin' minute. The beam is MY spot. I've already marked it.

If you marked a spot at Mr. Roberts', maybe that'll explain brentron's second complaint.

(Aside: city2countrygal, does anyone understand you here? Do you have an audience that gets the subtext? Because I'm completely at a loss with, no joke, 100% of your posts.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 pm

The entirety of Mr. Roberts was marked long before I set one soon-to-be-sticky foot in the place.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:57 pm

The beam supporters have spoken clearly. The only reasonable action to take at this point is to install more beams so everyone can have a beam of their own.

To me, "beam" implies a horizontally-oriented structural member meant to bear a load perpendicular to its length. I think that the thing everyone is talking about would be better referred to as a "column".
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Beer taps that taste like the inside of a long pipe lined with dish detergent and stale beer residue. Get rid of those. I think only the Harmony consistently does not have that problem.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:35 pm

brentron909 wrote:Any bar (that is not explicitly a pool hall) that has pool tables:

That's fucking stupid. I will say there are some bars that are too small to have tables but still do. But to outright call for all bars to get rid of them is silly. The two go hand in hand. I get it, you don't like pool but to say those who do are unsocial. I've met a lot of people playing partners in pool. See, you actually play other people when you do that. And to say pool players are bad tippers is asinine. Can I ask where you came up with that assumption.

brentron909 wrote:High Noon Saloon: Lose that damn support beam.

I say lose(more likely lower) that damn wire rail on the balcony. It is just high enough that, sitting there, your view is obstructed. Granted I am usually on the floor for the band, but if it's an opening act or even a comedy show, sometimes the balcony is a great place to be.

Majestic Do you really need outrageously high drink prices when no other music venues do the same. I get it, you need to make money, but no one else comes close to your shitty prices.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:39 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:To me, "beam" implies a horizontally-oriented structural member meant to bear a load perpendicular to its length. I think that the thing everyone is talking about would be better referred to as a "column".

In this matter I must side with Arturo. The engineers and contractors among us are a bit uncomfortable.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brentron909 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Stebben84 wrote: I will say there are some bars that are too small to have tables but still do.

This is my main problem, I digress. I'm thinking of the tiny neighborhood places that have a pool table crammed into prime real estate.

Stebben84 wrote:I get it, you don't like pool but to say those who do are unsocial. I've met a lot of people playing partners in pool.

And I've come across a lot of dicks who are playing pool when I'm trying to enjoy myself in a bar. My favorite is the self-entitled glare a pool shark flashes when I'm supposedly in "his" way. But I'm glad you've found a social outlet, Stebben.

Stebben84 wrote:And to say pool players are bad tippers is asinine. Can I ask where you came up with that assumption.

I didn't come up with that assumption. It was a joke, hence the Music Man reference.
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:11 pm

brentron909 wrote:It was a joke, hence the Music Man reference.

Sorry, didn't get the reference.

brentron909 wrote:And I've come across a lot of dicks who are playing pool when I'm trying to enjoy myself in a bar. My favorite is the self-entitled glare a pool shark flashes when I'm supposedly in "his" way.

I would agree those people are dicks. At the same time there are plenty of dicks doing other things as well. Dicks are dicks.

brentron909 wrote:But I'm glad you've found a social outlet, Stebben.

I also like Pinochle and Bridge clubs for meeting people.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe