MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Best engineered analog album?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Best engineered analog album?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:33 pm

brentron909 wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:I believe Donald Fagen's The Nightfly (1982) was the first digitally recorded major release, so maybe that's the cutoff.

*Comic book guy voice* Actually, the first digitally recored major release was Bop 'Til You Drop by Ry Cooder. Way back in '79!

Wonder what those master tapes sound like. Oof.

I stand corrected!
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:Back In Black is too polished. Powerage is where it's at.

I don't know about that...What about Let There Be Rock? It doesn't sound like you're in the room, it sounds like you're at the practice space...in a greatest way.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ko-Kayne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:11 pm

minicat wrote:That being said, I'd go for some of the early '70 recordings made at Ardent: Big Star

Mini nailed it.
ko-Kayne
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:25 pm

I like the polished sound of "Back in Black." It's devilish fun to imagine what certain other iconic rock albums would sound like with that same polish. "Double Nickels on the Dime"? "Exile in Guyville"?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 pm

I'd like to hear what KISS would have sounded like with some AC/DC production.

I love those KISS songs but they sound more wimpy than Morrisey at a petting zoo.

Kenneth Burns wrote:I like the polished sound of "Back in Black." It's devilish fun to imagine what certain other iconic rock albums would sound like with that same polish. "Double Nickels on the Dime"? "Exile in Guyville"?

Yes. What would New Day Rising have sounded like with some bass you can hear on it?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:23 am

Walter wrote:...more wimpy than Morrisey at a petting zoo.

Please tell me you just came up with that.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 am

ilikebeans wrote:
Walter wrote:...more wimpy than Morrisey at a petting zoo.

Please tell me you just came up with that.

It's all mine.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 am

Walter wrote:I'd like to hear what KISS would have sounded like with some AC/DC production.

I love those KISS songs but they sound more wimpy than Morrisey at a petting zoo.

Most of the KISS albums are produced kinda flat. The key, and I'm not kidding, is turn them up really loud. It's still not AC/DC-level rocking, but it's still pretty good.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:09 am

It's tough to narrow down a choice, but I like the sound of records engineered by Alan Parsons. Another one that comes to mind is Bruce Swedien, with his airy-sounding Acusonic Process.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 am

Kyle Motor wrote:Most of the KISS albums are produced kinda flat.
Really, it's just the first three that sound like total ass.
I've never had a problem with the sound on Destroyer[i], [i]Rock and Roll Over or Love Gun, and those are the ones that matter the most anyway, IMHO. That said, those early albums are a true rarity in that the remastered CD editions sound waaaaay better than the original vinyl ever did.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:08 am

Everything by Roxy Music.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Man, there's a whole lot of white folks being name-checked here ... which is fine, but in the interest of throwing a bit of color into the mix (so to speak):

Marvin Gaye, What's Going On - It took me awhile to appreciate the brilliance of Marvin Gaye and it's hard to argue that this was a seminal work, both for him and the label. There's plenty of great Motown production to point to, but in a whole lot of ways this album sounds unlike anything that came before it.

Sly and the Family Stone, There's a Riot Goin' On - I'm convinced this is what heroin sounds like. When I was first really digging into R&B and funk, I overlooked this album because it wasn't the raucous Sly sound that immediately grabbed my attention. This is a great post-bar-time record and was, for years, the album I'd put on after a long night on the town as I waited for the bed to stop spinning. In retrospect, that may not have been the wisest choice, but damn it's fluid and soothing. In my opinion there's not another quite like it, before or since.

Stevie Wonder, Innervisions - Another brilliant all-hours-of-the-night record and a great headphone excursion. This album is deep, sonically speaking and otherwise.

Worth noting that these albums share the distinction of being produced by the artists themselves.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Stevie Wonder, Innervisions - Another brilliant all-hours-of-the-night record and a great headphone excursion. This album is deep, sonically speaking and otherwise.

Worth noting that these albums share the distinction of being produced by the artists themselves.

But engineered by others.

Also recorded at the same studio at the same time with the same engineers as Innervisions was the Isley Brothers 3+3 which I like better. Stevie's album is great but I love 3+3.

The Quad versions of 3+3 and Sly's Greatest Hits sound great in stereo.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:32 pm

dave esmond wrote:But engineered by others.

Indeed. Hadn't meant to conflate producing and engineering, though I could see how that might be confusing given the thread title and my descriptions. Just noting the common denominator, is all. I tend to be of the school of though that no amount of heroic production can save a horribly engineered album (though, in all honesty, plenty of my favorite records are/were terribly engineered, so my own taste sort of belies that conviction).

Also recorded at the same studio at the same time with the same engineers as Innervisions was the Isley Brothers 3+3 which I like better. Stevie's album is great but I love 3+3.

I love me some Isley Brothers.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:I tend to be of the school of though that no amount of heroic production can save a horribly engineered album (though, in all honesty, plenty of my favorite records are/were terribly engineered, so my own taste sort of belies that conviction).

Ditto.

I like a well engineered album but I'll take good songs and shitty engineering over perfect engineering and so-so songs.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music