MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Most heartbreaking election

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Which presidential election result did you take the hardest?

72 Nixon McGovern
0
No votes
76 Carter Ford
0
No votes
80 Reagan Carter
1
4%
84 Reagan Mondale
2
8%
88 Bush Dukakis
0
No votes
92 Clinton Bush
2
8%
96 Clinton Dole
0
No votes
Y2K Bush Gore
11
46%
04 Bush Kerry
4
17%
08 Obama McCain
4
17%
 
Total votes : 24

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 am

Poor put-upon Huck needs a hug ... preferably by a large trash compactor.*



* Note: That's how you invoke black humor without any confusion you might be making a serious threat. Take note ... or not (as I'm already convinced you're incapable of absorbing constructive criticism even when it's painfully obvious to everyone else it would serve you well).
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:41 am

Mean Scenester wrote:Poor put-upon Huck needs a hug ... preferably by a large trash compactor.*



* Note: That's how you invoke black humor without any confusion you might be making a serious threat. Take note ... or not (as I'm already convinced you're incapable of absorbing constructive criticism even when it's painfully obvious to everyone else it would serve you well).


Everyone else? No, serveral people posted saying they understood comments as tongue-in-cheek. And I expect that most of the people who haven't raised a fuss also guessed it was likely tongue-in-cheek.

I've accepted the constructive criticism to the degree it was proportional to the incident.

Yes, I agree it's the plausibility that makes the difference, and I did not forsee anyone seeing my comments, taken in context, as plausibile. My bad.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7228
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby kurt_w » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Stebben84 wrote:It wasn't in the poll, but I would have to say that Zachary Taylor's win over Martin Van Buren was devastating. How a Whig party candidate beat out the Free Soil party is beyond me. I don't think our country has been the same since.


You're going back to the 1840s for heartbreaking elections, and you pick 1848 instead of 1844? Seriously?

With 1844 you have the abolitionists splitting their vote over the third-party candidacy of James G. Birney, throwing the election to the fervently pro-southern and pro-slavery James K. Polk, who then proceeds to annex Texas and invade Mexico in order to facilitate the westward expansion of slavery.

Just think about it -- if a few thousand abolitionists in New York had held their noses and voted for Henry Clay, the evil Polk would have lost, the US would be blissfully Texas-free, and we might even have been able to abolish slavery without the carnage of the Civil War.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:03 pm

kurt_w wrote:You're going back to the 1840s for heartbreaking elections, and you pick 1848 instead of 1844? Seriously?


I actually just picked that date out of the blue because I thought the party names were funny and hoped to derail a couple people arguing like they were 8. Maybe 9.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby kurt_w » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Hahahaha... in that case, you came remarkably close to hitting the all-time most heartbreaking election. Gore/Bush/Nader in 2000 was like a pale shadow of Clay/Polk/Birnie in 1844.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
kurt_w wrote:You're going back to the 1840s for heartbreaking elections, and you pick 1848 instead of 1844? Seriously?


I actually just picked that date out of the blue because I thought the party names were funny and hoped to derail a couple people arguing like they were 8. Maybe 9.

I wanted to see just how far I could egg him on. And now I know.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:28 pm

kurt_w wrote:Hahahaha... in that case, you came remarkably close to hitting the all-time most heartbreaking election. Gore/Bush/Nader in 2000 was like a pale shadow of Clay/Polk/Birnie in 1844.


It's interesting because I didn't know much about that election you were talking about. The forum can be a conduit for fun learning.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar