MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Colin Powell endorses Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 am

As he did in 2008, former Bush's former secretary of state endorsed Obama for president.

Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell on Thursday endorsed Barack Obama's bid for re-election, citing the Democratic president's efforts to wind down the war in Afghanistan and tackle terrorism.

"I think we ought to keep on the track that we are on," the Republican, who also backed Obama in 2008, told "CBS This Morning," adding, "I voted for him in 2008 and I plan to stick with him in 2012."

The move comes just days after Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney clashed over foreign policy in the third and last presidential debate ahead of the November 6 election.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20282
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:27 am

think you mean 2008, not 2000 henry
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks. I just corrected my post.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20282
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:46 am

This looks like a classic coverup.
Question is: What did Henry V know?
And when did Henry V know it?

Question #2: Who does Oprah endorse? And I don't mean in 2000 or even 2008. We know she endorsed Barack in 2008 (boy, did she!) but who does she endorse now, in 2012, and why or why not?
Last edited by Meade on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:48 am

Now that I've actually had a chance to read the article and think about it, it's hardly surprising. Powell endorsed Obama over McCain in 2008. Powell's politics (and life experiences) are far closer to McCain's then they are to Romeny's, so it seems like an obvious call for him to endorse Obama again.

Not sure if the endorsement will have any major effect on the election though. Might sway a few undecideds over, but short of announcing his candidacy for an office, I don't see Powell getting too many people worked up.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 am

I see many former Bush/Cheney functionaries are in the Romney camp. Will they be his foreign policy advisors if he wins?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20282
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:54 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I see many former Bush/Cheney functionaries are in the Romney camp. Will they be his foreign policy advisors if he wins?


It does seem like a reasonable assumption. It would be funny to see Mitt pull a 180, and say "sorry, I'm looking to have a much more moderate administration", but I don't see that happening. On the other hand with his background in business and finance, one might hope he would lean away from the use of military force and towards negotiation and compromise.
Last edited by Francis Di Domizio on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Weren't Cheney and Bush (junior) both businessmen? One was successful; the other, not so much.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20282
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Weren't Cheney and Bush (junior) both businessmen? One was successful; the other, not so much.



I guess you could call Cheney a businessman, though seeing as he spent the vast majority of his adult life in politics and only a short period of it at Haliburton during the Clinton presidency, I'd call him a politician who took found a great job to hold him over till he got back into politics.

Bush was focused on Oil specifically but still spent a decent amount of his life in politics. I guess he could be considered a businessman, but his focus was clearly on oil and definitely doesn't have the broad business experience of Romney.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 pm

You forgot about Bush and the Texas Rangers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20282
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:and definitely doesn't have the broad business experience of Romney.


This is the part that confuses me. He worked for one company for about 11 years and that was as a consultant. Sure, he was CEO of that ONE company, but people make it out like he was the head of all these different businesses. He later branched out into Bain Capital, but they only purchased companies as investments. They didn't run them. I'm not denying that he was successful at Bain, but I find it odd that people talk about his extensive business experience.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:and definitely doesn't have the broad business experience of Romney.


This is the part that confuses me. He worked for one company for about 11 years and that was as a consultant. Sure, he was CEO of that ONE company, but people make it out like he was the head of all these different businesses. He later branched out into Bain Capital, but they only purchased companies as investments. They didn't run them. I'm not denying that he was successful at Bain, but I find it odd that people talk about his extensive business experience.


there's business as in I run a business doing X, then there is business as in, I think investing in or buying this company that does X would benefit me because they seem to be well run and I can capitalize on that. Bush did the former in oil and Baseball, Romney did the later (and did it much better).

Not that I think that qualifies him to be president necessarily, but I think someone who spent so much time focused on the bottom line is more likely to limit expensive military action if it can be avoided.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: but I think someone who spent so much time focused on the bottom line is more likely to limit expensive military action if it can be avoided.


I don't think his platform shows that although.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote: but I think someone who spent so much time focused on the bottom line is more likely to limit expensive military action if it can be avoided.


I don't think his platform shows that although.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:It would be funny to see Mitt pull a 180, and say "sorry, I'm looking to have a much more moderate administration", but I don't see that happening. On the other hand with his background in business and finance, one might hope he would lean away from the use of military force and towards negotiation and compromise.


who knows what future the etch-a-sketch holds!
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: On the other hand with his background in business and finance, one might hope he would lean away from the use of military force and towards negotiation and compromise.

I doubt it. He has joined Obama in the "name change" game, designating the projected 25,000 troops left in Afghanistan in 2014 as "trainees" rather than "combat" soldiers.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Next

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar