MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Is this [recanted story of an] attack a hate crime?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Is this [recanted story of an] attack a hate crime?

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:08 pm

pjbogart wondered.
from the Cap Times:
He wouldn’t say if the case was being investigated as a hate crime.
“Right now we’re not at liberty to say because we don’t know,” he says. “We won’t know if that was the case until we develop a suspect.” http://host.madison.com/news/local/crim ... z2ALoSCfl3


EDIT: Two words: Frank, Philip.
EDIT: One more word: hoax
Last edited by Meade on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby massimo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Looks like they don't know yet.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm

pjbogart wrote:It's great to see you guys looking out for gay rights. Is this a hate crime, then?


Actually, I was making a comment about Republicans typically throwing temper tantrums whenever someone mentions "hate crimes."
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6155
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 pm

You mentioned "hate crime". Did anyone "throw a tantrum"?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Alright. I'm fine with that. It's nice to see that Republicans recognize the need for hate crime legislation.

I think one of the reasons that the DA may be cautious on calling this a hate crime is that there is at least the suggestion that the perpetrator was gay as well. He possibly attacked the victim because he was furious that a fellow homosexual would work for Republicans. Hence the "Jews for Hitler" vandalism.

I'm not sure that hate crime legislation covers political affiliation, but perhaps it does and if it doesn't, perhaps it should.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6155
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 pm

pjbogart wrote:He possibly attacked the victim because he was furious that a fellow homosexual would work for Republicans.

Did you say "a homosexual"? Who are you, pjbogart? J. Edgar Hoover?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby bumpity » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:31 am

Hmm. There is a whiff of hoax in this one, in my opinion. Reading the Daily Caller story, it seems trumped up from the beginning - the race is anything BUT "bitter and contentious." I was curious, and I admit looking up the police report on this. It doesn't say anything about the alleged motive for the attack, and I could find no earlier report about the supposed vandalism to his car.

And about that vandalism to his car: aren't "“house trained republican faggot,” and “ur like a jew 4 hitler” awfully, well, long-winded to paint on somone's car? I don't know. The story seems off to me.
bumpity
Senior Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:31 am

Meade wrote:You mentioned "hate crime". Did anyone "throw a tantrum"?


What the hell is this thread if not a tantrum, you disingenuous ass?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6981
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:37 am

pjbogart wrote: He possibly attacked the victim because he was furious that a fellow homosexual would work for Republicans. Hence the "Jews for Hitler" vandalism.

Sounds like a reasonable defense to me. Let's move on. Prosecuting the perp would be a waste of time as he was only lashing out due to hurt feelings.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13278
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:54 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
pjbogart wrote: He possibly attacked the victim because he was furious that a fellow homosexual would work for Republicans. Hence the "Jews for Hitler" vandalism.

Sounds like a reasonable defense to me. Let's move on. Prosecuting the perp would be a waste of time as he was only lashing out due to hurt feelings.


Did anyone suggest that the perp shouldn't be prosecuted?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6155
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:01 am

Marvell wrote:What the hell is this thread if not a tantrum, you disingenuous ass?

Thanks for your contribution to the... "tantrum".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby DCB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 am

pjbogart wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:
pjbogart wrote: He possibly attacked the victim because he was furious that a fellow homosexual would work for Republicans. Hence the "Jews for Hitler" vandalism.

Sounds like a reasonable defense to me. Let's move on. Prosecuting the perp would be a waste of time as he was only lashing out due to hurt feelings.


Did anyone suggest that the perp shouldn't be prosecuted?

Not per se. But Republicans are opposed to including orientation as part of hate crimes.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2658
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:27 am

"All violent crimes should be prosecuted vigorously, no matter what the circumstance," [House Republican Leader John Boehner] said. "The Democrats' 'thought crimes' legislation, however, places a higher value on some lives than others. Republicans believe that all lives are created equal, and should be defended with equal vigilance."
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby O.J. » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am

Meade wrote:Republicans believe that all lives are created equal, and should be defended with equal vigilance."


That's the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Is this alleged attack a hate crime?

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:41 am

Hey Meade, remind me where Republicans stand on the death penalty. And where, for that matter, do you stand on it? Which crimes should be capital crimes?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8372
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dairylander and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar