MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Colin Powell endorses Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Talon Newsman wrote:
kurt_w wrote:
DCB wrote:we are getting so weak! its just a matter of time before we're invaded by Mali.

I heard that Iran is building a major new sea port and naval base in northern Mali.

Exactly! Everyone knows that Mali is Iran's route to the sea.

There are also rumors that the world's largest Muslim nation -- Indonesia -- may be secretly building a route to the sea through Mali.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 pm

kurt_w wrote:
There are also rumors that the world's largest Muslim nation -- Indonesia -- may be secretly building a route to the sea through Mali.

Its not just a rumor. The Clintons are heavily invested in it.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Sununu did indeed try to back away from his earlier remark.
"Colin Powell is a friend and I respect the endorsement decision he made and I do not doubt that it was based on anything but his support of the president’s policies. Piers Morgan’s question was whether Colin Powell should leave the party, and I don’t think he should," Sununu said.

Damn. I didn't know Colin and John were friends.

I bet Colin is one of his best friends.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Some of my best friends are, uh, generals.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Colin Powell on "Meet the Press" today:
Powell, who voted twice for Obama, said he is still a Republican, but said the party “has an identity crisis” and some factions have a “dark vein of intolerance.”

“They still look down on minorities,” he said.

Powell also said the party’s more recent shift to the right has resulted in “losing campaigns” and “will be in trouble” if it doesn’t change along with the country’s shifting demographics to appeal more to minorities and immigrants.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread, Hank. Good timing, since Mali is once again in the news.

I see the French are stepping up to the plate, trying to deny the Iranians and Indonesians their secret naval bases in northern Mali.

If our navy hadn't been cut down to something bathtub-sized, maybe we could be out there leading this operation.

DCB wrote:we are getting so weak! its just a matter of time before we're invaded by Mali.

kurt_w wrote:I heard that Iran is building a major new sea port and naval base in northern Mali.

Talon Newsman wrote:Exactly! Everyone knows that Mali is Iran's route to the sea.

kurt_w wrote:There are also rumors that the world's largest Muslim nation -- Indonesia -- may be secretly building a route to the sea through Mali.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Colin Powell on "Meet the Press" today:
Powell, who voted twice for Obama, said he is still a Republican, but said the party “has an identity crisis” and some factions have a “dark vein of intolerance.”

“They still look down on minorities,” he said.

Powell also said the party’s more recent shift to the right has resulted in “losing campaigns” and “will be in trouble” if it doesn’t change along with the country’s shifting demographics to appeal more to minorities and immigrants.

To put distance between themselves and the right-leaning Democrat in the Whitehouse, Republicans appeal to racism, homophobia, invented histories, and war mongering. Brilliant move by President Obama, but not so good for the bludgeoned "left" wing of the Democrat party. Bill Clinton, another anti-New Deal, pro-Wall St. Democrat, also drove the Republicans crazy, openly braging about stealing Republican policy from "ending welfare as we know it" to NAFTA.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government