MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Endorsements for President

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Endorsements for President

Postby Beaver » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Here is the first major newspaper endorsement I've seen:

Tribune endorses Obama: Our children's America
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi- ... 2618.story

Presidential endorsement: What kind of America will we leave our children? The Tribune endorses President Obama and urges him to address the nation's debt crisis.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Endorsements for President

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:53 am

The Millwaukee Journal Sentinel says it will not give endorsements this time around.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 am

Likewise the Knoxville News Sentinel in my new hometown.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:19 am

I've always felt endorsements were ridiculous. I never factor them into my voting. I understand there are low information voters who have neither the time nor the inclination to follow government and politics very closely on a day-to-day basis. I suppose glancing through lists of endorsements or reading through newspaper endorsements helps them figure out who to vote for or against. But out-sourcing your own due diligence is a pretty piss poor way to be a citizen.

I do look at groups' voting scorecards for incumbents, and candidates' responses to questions in newspapers, information guides, etc. But newspapers? No.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:46 am

The New York Times endorsed Obama today. Nothing yet from the Wisconsin State Journal, although they are backing Tommy over Tammy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:58 am

Donald wrote:I've always felt endorsements were ridiculous. I never factor them into my voting.

Newspaper endorsements in the biggest elections aren't that helpful. Generally I made my mind up a long time ago. I'm glad for them in lower-profile races -- state, county, city, judicial. I may not heed the endorsements, but typically the articles explain who's who and what's at stake, so they provide useful information. When I voted yesterday I was grateful for the Knoxville papers' endorsements regarding a slew of ballot measures. These had to do with county charter amendments on term limits, the school board and other issues. The measures' wording was baffling, and the endorsements provided some clarity.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:30 pm

I've my own endorsement, arrived at through an agonizing process of analytical acrobatics, maybe even what some would describe as downright rationalization. Here goes: I'm not unaware of how much harm Barack Obama's tenure has done to our country, our world and the US Constitution. Still, it's probably stating the obvious that a Romney/Ryan presidency would be no better at all, and probably considerably worse in several key areas. Voting for a third party? I did that in 2000; I'm not casting any blame on Ralph Nader, and he had every conceivable right to run. But Gore did in fact WIN the popular vote, and failed miserably to fight for his own victory. So we got eight catastrophic years of an unelected neocon regime. Ach, sorry for going off on that tangent, but I sure as hell don't want a repeat of Bush/Cheney. Bottom line is that until a much larger number of Americans move dramatically to the left, third party or write-in campaigns, at least at the executive level, remain a futile geture in practice. I don't foresee millions of Americans moving that far in the progressive direction anytime soon.
With respect to 2012, many recent Democratic actions and proposals regarding the safety net have been less than helpful, some even harmful. But at least Joe Biden said quite forcefully in the Vice Presidential debate that Democrats don't intend to change Medicare to a voucher system. One can only hope the opprobrium the Dems would face, from their own prime constituencies, in response to any attempt to dismantle Social Security and the "Great Society's" medical assistance programs would be too fierce for them to risk it. Then there is the notorious Republican record on women's rights; it's absolutely abysmal. So I encourage progressives in Massachusetts and California to vote for Jill Stein, as Noam Chomsky and Daniel Ellsberg have pledged. Chomsky and Ellsberg also counsel voters in swing states like Ohio and Wisconsin to vote for Obama, and that's what I aim to do. Ultimately people of good faith can disagree on this, and should do what they think right once they reach the voting booth.
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Jeez, I forgot to add: This is actually pretty remarkable, as anyone who reads the Republican-leaning Tribune can tell you. I did expect the New York Times to endorse Obama, as they did in today's (Sunday Oct 28) edition. But the Chicago Tribune surprises this year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/opini ... wanted=all
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:16 pm

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Clementine » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:34 am

Clementine

Postby bdog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:56 am

Now we know why he works BEHIND the camera.

Hey Joss it's not pronounced "Ann".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 am

bdog wrote:Now we know why he works BEHIND the camera.

Hey Joss it's not pronounced "Ann".

From The Ayn Rand Institute:

How do you pronounce “Ayn”?

“Ayn” rhymes with “mine.”

Excerpted from a letter to a fan, 1937:
“Your letter inquiring about the origin of my name has been forwarded to me. In answer to your question, I must say that ‘Ayn’ is both a real name and an invention. The original of it is a Finnish feminine name. . . . Its pronunciation, spelled phonetically, would be: ‘I-na.’ I do not know what its correct spelling should be in English, but I chose to make it ‘Ayn,’ eliminating the final ‘a.’ I pronounce it as the letter ‘I’ with an ‘n’ added to it.” Letters of Ayn Rand, page 40
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:06 am

The once-well-respected Des Moines Register has endorsed Romney. This is the first time the Register has endorsed a Republican for president since they endorsed Nixon. And look at how well that turned out.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 am

Once in Chicago I went to see a work of experimental theater called "Ayn Rand Gives Me a Boner." Which is how I came to learn the correct pronunciation of Ayn.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Just curious. Can anyone name name one single Democratic Party politician who is insisting that rape victims must give birth to their assailant's baby? Just something for any feminist (I am not a feminist, but I still am a human being, unlike most Republicans) to consider this year. Hard to believe I'm even asking this question - if we lived in a sane society, I wouldn't need to.
manoletters
Forum Addict

Next

Return to National Politics & Government