MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Majority of Americans are racist

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Majority of Americans are racist

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:50 am

Poll: Majority of Americans are racist

It's a stunning poll that the Associated Press released today on one of the most invisible news days of the week. More than half of all Americans have negative attitudes toward African Americans, it says.

Though it's within the margin of error of a similar poll in 2008, it confirms there is no such thing as post-racial America.

Released ten days before the election.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Majority of Americans are racist

Postby Meade » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Did the poll also ask about Americans' attitudes toward non-African Americans? My guess would be that far more than half of all Americans have negative attitudes toward non-African Americans.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Meade wrote: My guess would be that far more than half of all Americans have negative attitudes toward non-African Americans.

Really. That's what your guess would be? And how much value does your guess have, exactly?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:18 pm

To intelligent open-minded discerning Forum readers? A lot.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Meade wrote:To intelligent open-minded discerning Forum readers? A lot.

Get over yourself. You post Intrade updates and troll on the political threads. What else do you have to offer? Many of us post on other topics but you're stuck on letting us all know how wrong we are on politics when all you have to offer is right wing talking points. Bravo.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 am

Holy crap Henry! Spot on. I've tried to point this slippery eel out to fellow Wisconsinites (left/right and up the middle), dull stares in return. Guess the shade of my tribe.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:41 am

Stebben, are you racist?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 am

Racism is hardwired into the human brain

Racism is hardwired into the brain, say scientists - and it operates unconsciously.

The same circuits in the brain that allow us to see which ethnic group a person belongs to overlap with others that drive emotional decisions.

The result is that even right-thinking individuals make unconscious decisions based on a person's race.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 am

Meade wrote:To intelligent open-minded discerning Forum readers? A lot.

You could be right about your original premise for all I know. I just wondered what you based your guess on.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:41 pm

gargantua wrote:I just wondered what you based your guess on.

Just? Then why didn't you just ask that question?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:11 pm

bdog wrote:Racism is hardwired into the human brain

Racism is hardwired into the brain, say scientists - and it operates unconsciously.

The same circuits in the brain that allow us to see which ethnic group a person belongs to overlap with others that drive emotional decisions.

The result is that even right-thinking individuals make unconscious decisions based on a person's race.

Definition from YourDictionary.com:
"Prejudice is an opinion or judgment that disregards the facts.

An example of prejudice is racism.
An example of prejudice is liking a person because they have blue eyes.
An example of prejudice is not liking someone because they don't share your religion."

I don't buy the "hard wired" stuff. It could be taken as an excuse and defense of Social Darwinism. I was raised in a hometown that clearly was racist from anyone who was black, hispanic, asian, native american, or anything other than caucasian. Imagine my surprise after moving to Madison, my Heinz 57 heritage, one of my co-workers said I looked "ethnic"--one reason being my skin is naturally more brown than hers (of Norwegian Heritage). I'd say that racism is learned and shared among people of similar culture. Fear of others outside your network and how they may negatively affect you is the problem. Communication is the key.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Meade wrote:
gargantua wrote:I just wondered what you based your guess on.

Just? Then why didn't you just ask that question?

I guess just because you just don't want to just answer it?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Are we trying to relate this to the current election cycle? I would say that there are plenty of people who would admit to having some negative attitudes toward African Americans who will still be voting for Barack Obama. Let me know the next time Obama gives a speech while smoking a grape flavored blunt and wearing his pants around his knees.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:40 pm

I think its true that all Americans are at least a little bit racist. But some of us are more racist that others. Like,say, Mississippi:
The [Justice] department’s investigation showed that the agencies have helped to operate a school-to-prison pipeline whereby children arrested in local schools become entangled in a cycle of incarceration without substantive and procedural protections required by the U.S. Constitution.
Furthermore, children on probation are routinely arrested and incarcerated for allegedly violating their probation by committing minor school infractions, such as dress code violations, which result in suspensions. The department’s investigation showed that students most affected by this system are African-American children and children with disabilities.

From the letter of findings:
The system established by the City of Meridian, Lauderdale County, and DYS to incarcerate children for school suspensions “shocks the conscience,” resulting in the incarceration of children for alleged “offenses” such as dress code violations, flatulence, profanity, and disrespect.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Meade wrote:Stebben, are you racist?

I am sooper dooper, dooper racist. I put David Duke to shame. Thanks for asking.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines