MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Romney's Jeep Ad a fine piece of projection

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Romney's Jeep Ad a fine piece of projection

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:59 pm

The lady doth protest too much methinks...

http://www.thenation.com/article/170644 ... t-bonanza#
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Romney's Jeep Ad a fine piece of projection

Postby DCB » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:56 pm

Shorter: "Obama is selling out the auto industry to China".
Except, its a straight-up brazen lie.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:19 am

DCB wrote:Shorter: "Obama is selling out the auto industry to China".
Except, its a straight-up brazen lie.

I do not wish to quibble, so I will say thanks to you for having a peek at this. I became aware of this story early in September and found it odd that forons seem unable to pluck such low LYING "fruit".
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 am

Mad Howler wrote:I became aware of this story early in September and found it odd that forons seem unable to pluck such low LYING "fruit".

We were probably just slackjawed in awe of your time-travel ability. This entire story takes place in the last 7 days.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 am

As Bookie points out, the story came out quite recently, probably as the Romney campaign hit the panic button in Ohio. Apparently they were referencing a Bloomberg story that Jeep was planning on building a manufacturing facility in China to serve the Chinese market. It started out as a little, misleading lie (Jeep is moving manufacturing to China) and eventually morphed into a brazen attempt to scare Ohio voters (Jeep is moving ALL manufacturing to China).

The strange thing about the Romney camp is that they like to double down on their lies. When called out on the Jeep lie, they flooded the internet with ads about Jeep moving manufacturing jobs to China.

I think Chad Lee should send super volunteer Kyle Wood to the Romney camp. He'd fit right in.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 am

Its just non-stop bullshit:

During an appearance on MSNBC, Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) dodged a question about Romney’s debunked Jeep claims and instead attacked the Obama administration for issuing regulations that are harming workers at American Motors Corporation, a company once headed by George Romney. AMC was sold to Chrysler during the Ronald Reagan administration and its brands were then discontinued:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/1 ... t-in-1988/

They just can't stand the idea that the Obama administration did something right.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:43 pm

The Obama campaign has shot back at Romney's Jeep commercial with one of his own. Oh sure, it's the same old "let Detroit go bankrupt" clip you've heard hundreds of times, but what sets this one apart is this line: "Chrysler itself has refuted Romney's lie."

Barack Obama to Mitt Romney: You're a fucking liar

But isn't that what Romney is doing? He's not mistaken, he's not confused. He's lying. People call ads "misleading" because they're technically true but intended to cause people to draw erroneous conclusions. But that's not really what Romney is doing either. He's lying.

Is there potential blowback for calling your opponent a liar?

Edited to reinsert link. WSJ pulled theirs for some reason.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:I became aware of this story early in September and found it odd that forons seem unable to pluck such low LYING "fruit".

We were probably just slackjawed in awe of your time-travel ability. This entire story takes place in the last 7 days.

I'm sorry officer. I was referring to the Nation piece by Palast that was a more in depth take on what he wrote about in "Billionaires & Ballot Bandits: How to Steal an Election in 9 Easy Steps"
http://www.amazon.com/Billionaires-Ball ... rds=Palast

that was an even more in depth take on the actions of our vulture friend (and major supporter of Ryan/Romney) Paul Singer that Palast presented at Bob Fest in early September. No time travel required, move along please.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government