MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Christie's remarks

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Christie's remarks

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:40 am

Chris Christie has gotten quite a bit of attention for his notably generous praise of President Obama. He started out by complimenting the president in press briefings on Sunday and Monday, then upped the ante with even more praise during TV appearances on Morning Joe, NBC's Today, and Fox & Friends.

Charles Pierce thinks it's a cynical effort to launch the Christie in 2016 bandwagon.

The Freepers can't make up their minds what to think about it.

It's certainly unusual for a prominent governor of Party A to go out of his way to compliment the President of Party B a week before he's up for re-election. But these were unusual circumstances, to say the least.

Is Christie just speaking the plain truth and ignoring the political consequences? Is he calculating that a bit of highly visible bipartisanship would make himself look good? Or what?

This exchange on Fox & Friends must have been particularly painful for Republican fans of Christie to watch. He begins by thanking President Obama repeatedly. Co-host Steve Doocy tries to bring Romney into the discussion, maybe to give Christie a chance to be even-handed by saying something nice about him, too ... but Christie slaps him down hard:

The president was great last night," Christie continued. "He said he would get it done. At 2 a.m., I got a call from FEMA to answer a couple of final questions and then he signed the declaration this morning. So I have to give the president great credit. He's been on the phone with me three times in the last 24 hours. He's been very attentive, and anything that I've asked for, he's gotten to me. So, I thank the president publicly for that. He's done -- as far as I'm concerned -- a great job for New Jersey."

Fox News co-host Steve Doocy wondered when Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney was going to get some of the same benefits from the hurricane with a photo op in disaster-stricken New Jersey towns. "Over the last couple of months, you have appeared throughout the country, Governor, on behalf of Mitt Romney," Doocy remarked to Christie. "[W]e hear that perhaps Mr. Romney may do some storm-related events. Is there any possibility that Gov. Romney may go to New Jersey to tour some of the damage with you?"

"I have no idea, nor am I the least bit concerned or interested," Christie replied, immediately shutting down the idea. "I've got a job to do here in New Jersey that's much bigger than presidential politics and I could care less about any of that stuff."

Now, today, Obama and Christie will be visiting storm-wracked communities in New Jersey together. It's not supposed to be a political event, and for people in those communities politics is probably the last of their concerns right now. But people outside New Jersey will look at a joint Obama-Christie news event through the prism of the rapidly approaching election day.

If Christie were just saying a couple of nice things about the President in one press conference, that would be normal and reasonable given the storm. But he's going way beyond just a token compliment or two. I have to think that today's visit is good for both Christie and Obama.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Christie's remarks

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:03 am

Me being as cynical as I am about Republicans in general and Christie in particular, I'm going to go with "If I piss him off I might not get the stuff I want."

Christie's default reaction to negative feedback is lashing out so he unconsciously expects the same thing from everyone else. Therefore he sucks up to the guy with his finger on the purse strings.

And in light of what he's got to deal with, that tactic couldn't hurt.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 am

"When Hurricane Sandy devastated New Jersey, Governor Christie reached across the aisle and worked with President Obama to reopen businesses and return people to their homes. As President, Chris Christie will work with both parties to create a brighter America for all Americans. Christie 2016. I'm Chris Christie and I approve this message."
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:33 am

"When Hurricane Sandy devastated New Jersey, Governor Christie reached across the aisle and worked with President Obama to reopen businesses and return people to their homes. As President, Chris Christie will work with both parties to create a brighter America for all Americans. Christie 2016. I'm Chris Christie and I approve this message."

At least that would be rooted in some amount of truth. Romney's bipartisan bonafides are him vetoing 700 some bills and getting overridden by a bipartisan group of state legislatures.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 am

Christy has a catastrophe to deal with and Barry's got the buxx. They need to work together as Jersey is in disarray.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:55 am

Yeah, we all understand that. The thing is, Christie seems to be going above and beyond what's needed in cosying up to the president. Which is causing a lot of people to wonder if there's more to it than just two guys working together to get relief for a bunch of storm-devastated communities.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:02 am

Here's some journalism for ya:

"[W]e hear that perhaps Mr. Romney may do some storm-related events."

That's a legit reporter asking a legit question during a critical news interview with an important official, not a cog in a political machine doing his best to get the interview back on message.

Who uses a term like "storm-related events"? Marketing professionals.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 am

Yup. Christie is no dummie - despite the "OMG, this race is so close" coverage, it isn't. Obama is gonna win this thing, Ryan will be left holding the "these guys were too extreme" jury prize and this puts Christie in a great place for 2016.

Don't get me wrong - it SUCKS that a natural disaster like this is immediately turned in to political theater when it shouldn't be about that, but that's where we're at and there is little Romney can do about it. If the government bungled the response terribly, that gives Romney something to stand on, but this administration looked at the "Good Job Brownie" thing very closely and has been very quick to respond to these kind of disasters. (Call it what you will - efficiency OR political calculation, either way, the streets are getting plowed, so to speak.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am

but this administration looked at the "Good Job Brownie" thing very closely and has been very quick to respond to these kind of disasters. (Call it what you will - efficiency OR political calculation, either way, the streets are getting plowed, so to speak.)

That's "Heckuva job Brownie" and he's just criticized the FEMA response for being too fast. Can't make this stuff up. Maybe Romney can hire him as a horse dancing instructor once the election is over.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am

kurt_w wrote:Yeah, we all understand that. The thing is, Christie seems to be going above and beyond what's needed in cosying up to the president. Which is causing a lot of people to wonder if there's more to it than just two guys working together to get relief for a bunch of storm-devastated communities.

I also think Christie is prone to shooting his mouth off whenever he feels like it. He might be sincerely impressed with the Administration's efforts, and he says so, w/o the "criticize the President no matter what" filter that is standard issue with most Republicans.

Contrast with Romney's criticism of the auto bailout: "Obama did it all wrong and any success is due to my advice".
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 am

jjoyce wrote:Who uses a term like "storm-related events"? Marketing professionals.

That must come from the same guy who thought up "WMD-related program activities" once it turned out there were no actual, you know, "WMD"s in Iraq.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:04 pm

rrnate wrote:Don't get me wrong - it SUCKS that a natural disaster like this is immediately turned in to political theater when it shouldn't be about that, but that's where we're at and there is little Romney can do about it.

Yeah. I'm still not sure whether this thread was a good idea, but people seem to be mostly able to talk about the politics of this situation in a relatively calm and responsible manner. Which is nice to see.

DCB wrote:I also think Christie is prone to shooting his mouth off whenever he feels like it. He might be sincerely impressed with the Administration's efforts, and he says so, w/o the "criticize the President no matter what" filter that is standard issue with most Republicans.

You know, it would have been interesting if Romney had picked Christie as his running mate instead of Ryan. Think of what the VP debate would have been like with Christie and Biden. A, it would have been entertaining, and B, I think they would have had fun with it.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm

I was wondering if it is Christie's way of sending a message to Romney that defunding FEMA is a stupid idea.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm

Christie has to govern a state that is filthy with libs. It's not that complicated.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Christie has to govern a state that is filthy with libs. It's not that complicated.

Ned, should FEMA be dismantled? It's not that complicated.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government