MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Postby butters » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm

This is kindof similar. Instead of your putting your job at risk, you are risking your soul:

Green Bay bishop urges parishioners to vote against candidates who support abortion, gay marriage

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... ck_check=1

The Bishop calls abortion, euthanasia, embryonic stem cell research, human cloning, and gay marriage "intrinsically evil" and "non-negotiables".

"Some candidates and one party have even chosen some of these as their party's or their personal political platform. To vote for someone in favor of these positions means that you could be morally 'complicit' with these choices which are intrinsically evil. This could put your own soul in jeopardy."
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 pm

I hope it puts his diocese's tax exempt status in jeopardy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Now it's a surreptitious part of a "civics" class that Menards urges its employees to take on their own time.

Menards employees who sign up for the course are graded on their knowledge via a multiple choice pass-fail test, and those who pass the test are acknowledged in company publications and bulletins. While workers are not required to take the course, those who hope for promotions may feel pressure to do so, since it is clear that management is paying attention to who is or isn't taking the at-home classes, which are conducted on the employees' own time. The civics course is offered as part of a battery of courses, most of which pertain to products sold by the company, or other aspects of working at Menards.
While the Menards course doesn't offer an explicit candidate endorsement, it describes Obama policies in threatening terms, while policies that echo Romney's proposals are portrayed in a positive and uplifting light.

Who's behind it? Why, none other than the Koch brothers' Americans for Prosperity Foundation.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:44 am

More employer fear-mongering in the Milwaukee area.

Funny how it's ONLY conservative business owners taking advantage of Citizens United to threaten their employees, isn't it?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:01 pm

How do we like the announcement of 600 layoffs by WPS in Madison and Wausau on the Friday before the election? Wouldn't it have been patriotic to hold off? Or the announcement of 450 layoffs by Oshkosh Corp. last week, which is projected to double its earnings next year?
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:44 am

We don't like them. Where are those 250,000 jobs Walker promised?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 pm

I guess it wasn't just a threat. What a fucking asshole. I hope his real name is revealed and his life is turned into a living hell. Honestly, he has no way of knowing exactly how the economy will be affected or how it will affect his business. I hope he goes bankrupt and has to live off of garbage on the streets.

“David,” whose full name and company have yet to be disclosed, told CBS Las Vegas that he fired 22 of his 114 employees as a direct result of Obama’s win, arguing that “elections have consequences” and that he needs “to survive.” CBS Las Vegas said “David” refused to identify himself for “obvious reasons.”

Asshole of the day award
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Asshole of the week:

On Wednesday, Murray also laid off 54 people at American Coal, one of his subsidiary companies, and 102 at Utah American Energy, blaming a “war on coal” by the Obama administration.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html
This is the same guy who forced his employees to appear in a Romney photo-op.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm

This is one that I don't quite get.

Papa Johns sucks anyways

Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter said he plans on passing the costs of health care reform to his business onto his workers. Schnatter said he will likely reduce workers’ hours, as a result of President Obama's reelection, the Naples News reports.

Then goes on to say:

Schnatter went on to say he's neither in support of, nor against the Affordable Care Act, even admitting that "the good news is 100 percent of the population is going to have health insurance.”

So you want people to have health care, but you don't want people to have health care. I get it, um, now.

Considering Papa Johns is shit pizza I'm not too concerned about not going there. And, OMG, you'll have to raise the price of pizza 14 cents. What the fuck is this world coming to.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Stebben84 wrote:This is one that I don't quite get.

Papa Johns sucks anyways

But its good news for local Ian's pizza!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ... 33050.html

Meanwhile, reactionary chain restaurants everywhere are breaking out in stoopid.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:40 pm

DCB wrote:Meanwhile, reactionary chain restaurants everywhere are breaking out in stoopid.

From the link:

"If I leave the prices the same, but say on the menu that there is a 5 percent surcharge for Obamacare, customers have two choices. They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server, who is the primary beneficiary of Obamacare," Metz told The Huffington Post. "Although it may sound terrible that I'm doing this, it's the only alternative. I've got to pass the cost on to the consumer."

I can't even wrap my mind around this assholishness. So basically this guy is saying, "I pay my employees shit wages and tipped employees in particular will be able to point to their shit wages and get subsidized health care. So on top of shitting on them, I'll take a piss on them as well.

We built that!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:21 am

More reasons to avoid chain restaurants.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:36 pm

pjbogart wrote:
DCB wrote:Meanwhile, reactionary chain restaurants everywhere are breaking out in stoopid.

From the link:

"If I leave the prices the same, but say on the menu that there is a 5 percent surcharge for Obamacare, customers have two choices. They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server, who is the primary beneficiary of Obamacare," Metz told The Huffington Post. "Although it may sound terrible that I'm doing this, it's the only alternative. I've got to pass the cost on to the consumer."

I can't even wrap my mind around this assholishness. So basically this guy is saying, "I pay my employees shit wages and tipped employees in particular will be able to point to their shit wages and get subsidized health care. So on top of shitting on them, I'll take a piss on them as well.

We built that!

Actually, we have a third choice Mr. Metz. We can choose a different place to eat.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 am

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 am

I posted this to the "people aren't taking the election well" thread, forgetting this one was more appropriate.

And since Rich thinks the above cartoon is funny, and informative, I think it's worth repeating.

Wonkette gives us six retaurant chains who will be letting sick people cook your food.

My personal favorite:
Olive Garden / Red Lobster

The CEO of this company is a real ball buster, and he is NOT going to make YOU pay ten cents more for a plate of noodles, no way Jose. That is a solution for pussies. This CEO is just going to cut back on employees’ hours so that they work 29 hours per week instead of 30, exempting them from health care coverage mandate. So the next time you go to Olive Garden or the Red Lobster, rest assured that your server is not going to have health care coverage. There, does that make you feel better?

Wow, Rich. What wonderful people these job creators are.

Applebee’s

Obamacare is going to cost Applebee’s “some millions of dollars” according to CEO Zane Tankel. Will these “some millions of dollars” be an increase in costs per year? Per month? Per restaurant? We don’t know, and it’s not important. What IS important is that Applebee’s will not be able to build more restaurants, or create more low-wage go-nowhere jobs, THANKS OBAMA. The solution to these costs is for the CEO to [strikethrough](take a hit on his $9.6 million dollar per year salary) lay off employees.

I guess we can't do the strikethrough tags on this forum. Oh, well.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government