MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Craigslist Etiquette

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Craigslist Etiquette

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 am

So we just bought an older home and replaced the near death gas stove (it probably has a year or two left of usable life) with a craigslist used gas stove that has a lot more life left. I put the old stove on the curb, and put out a “curb alert” in the free section of Craigslist. Basically in the ad I wrote that range/oven worked but it was older and we replaced it. In my naive little noggin’ I thought someone might need a replacement for a cabin or their home to get them by until they can buy a new one.

Today, I’m looking through craigslist keeping an eye out for odds and ends that we might need for the house, low and behold, there’s my fucking stove, now with a 100 dollar price tag attached. Fucking dicks. I know there’s nothing really wrong with what their doing to make a buck, but fuck man, come on. You have no knowledge of the stove or what condition it was in AND you’re listing it to lead people to believe it was yours and you just replaced it with a new one.

Dick move.

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Craigslist Etiquette

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:35 am

Just because some idiot put it on the list at $100 doesn't mean there's another one out there with that much in his pocket. Take a look at what some people are trying to sell rusted wrenches for on the tools list.

But yeah. Some people.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:40 am

Total dick move. However, you got someone to take this piece of junk off your curb, for free. That's worth something. After that? Caveat emptor, especially on CL.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:52 am

massimo wrote:Total dick move. However, you got someone to take this piece of junk off your curb, for free. That's worth something. After that? Caveat emptor, especially on CL.

That's pretty much it. For a brief moment I contemplated selling it for 50 bucks, but we were in the middle of moving in and I really didn’t know how well the thing worked other than the burners all lit without much hassle during the home inspection. I decided it was better to give it away for free and have it gone. The kicker is, the replacement range/oven that we bought off of Craigslist was $100 and is 3 times the unit the old one was.

I hope this seller gets a swift kick in the nuts someday.

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 pm

My advice: Fuck with the guy.

Email him and tell him you're interested then give him a runaround about pickup, dickishly haggle with him to lower the price to $92 or some other arbitrary and small discount, suggest instead of purchasing it that you trade for some rusty muffin tins, ask endless stupid questions (Does it come with an apron? Can it be used to make soup? Will it work with European plugs? How long can you hold your hand over the burner?), and so on.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Allow me to propose an alternate theory: The guy's hard up and really needs the money. If you look at it that way, you're practically a philanthropist, like the people who donate their old rusted cars to public radio or whatever they do.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Today, I’m looking through craigslist keeping an eye out for odds and ends that we might need for the house, low and behold, there’s my fucking stove, now with a 100 dollar price tag attached. Fucking dicks. I know there’s nothing really wrong with what their doing to make a buck, but fuck man, come on. You have no knowledge of the stove or what condition it was in AND you’re listing it to lead people to believe it was yours and you just replaced it with a new one.

Dick move.

Dan Motor

Where do you think the stove you just bought came from?
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm not sure you need the internets to pull things off the curb.

Also, making their business your business isn't always a great idea.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:

I pulled the one I bought out of the kitchen it came from. The women was replacing hers with a badass stainless steal commercial number.

It gave me a chance to test it, "look under the hood" and run the model number through google.

Turned out well.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Kind of a dick move, but he's doing the legwork for the 100 bucks that you weren't willing to do.

That said, you could post convenient "reminders" of your curb alert item in close enough proximity to his for sale posts to allow prospective buyers to piece the story together. Ensuring common knowledge of his (lack of) purchase price would likely affect the offers he receives.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:
Steve Vokers wrote:

I pulled the one I bought out of the kitchen it came from. The women was replacing hers with a badass stainless steal commercial number.

It gave me a chance to test it, "look under the hood" and run the model number through google.

Turned out well.

-Dan Motor

I was just yanking your chain... :wink:
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 pm

The Center Square wrote:I'm not sure you need the internets to pull things off the curb.

I didn't think I would either! but it sat for a couple days. We're kind of off the beaten path for the isthmus so I don't think there was enough traffic to allow for a natural disappearence. Craigslisted at 11:30pm and it was gone when I got up at 6:30am the next morning.

The Center Square wrote:Also, making their business your business isn't always a great idea.

Very much agreed.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:
Steve Vokers wrote:

Turned out well.

-Dan Motor

I was just yanking your chain... :wink:

I know. but you're not far off. Half the shit on Craiglist right now is stuff people have bought from goodwill and are trying to make a profit on.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Goodwill, or Madison Freecycle. I got completely fed up with the latter (which I started back in around 2003, and ran for several years).

In the process of cleaning out my house to move to Brazil, I kept offering things on Madison Freecycle, and people would email and say "I'll take it!". Previous experience with this told me to never let the first responder get it, that is just someone who is hovering over their keyboard, replying to everything offered.

But damned near every single thing that I put on Madison Freecycle, and responded "it's yours, come and get it", was not picked up.

I finally just took piles and piles of things to my Friday night running/drinking group and gave things away to my friends instead. Same end result, much more satisfaction.

As for the stove--just because he is asking $100 means that he will actually get more than $20 for the thing.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 pm

A friend recently bought a car from CL that, as it turns out, had been sold for parts via CL the previous day (blown head gasket). It ALMOST made it home. Lesson learned, or so I hope.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All