MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Early voting

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Early voting

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 pm

SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:58 am

I expect Sandy is going to significantly suppress the vote in the Northeast and increase the chance that Mitt wins the popular vote nationally.

What if this storm had come through a week later?

This pre-election storm is a wake-up call. In the interest of expanding voter participation, we've got to abandon our sentimental attachment to voting on election day. I understand the tradition and ceremony of coming together as a community on one day, but that pleasure has to be sacrificed in the interests of democracy. There is no way any of us can know what election day is going to look like - shit happens. We need to start a new tradition, election season.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Just voted early. At the building I noticed that they were desperate for campus poll workers so this gave me the opportunity to sign up. Never did it before so I'm looking forward to it.

Anyone else who has time on Tuesday, they said they are desperate for campus poll workers.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Done. Took me 40 min. to get through but it was fine. No confusion about the way the ballot was set up either.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 am

Took only about 10 minutes on Thursday morning, but they said that was unusual. I guess the lines have been quite long. Folks are eager to validate that "flawed model", clearly!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 am

There were maybe 10 people voting last night in Mt. Horeb when I went. Took about 15 minutes.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:47 am

ArturoBandini wrote:Just as a thought experiment - what is the earliest time that you would consider it prudent to cast an early ballot? To me, early voting is essentially saying, "There is nothing that could happen between now and Nov. 6 that could change my mind on any of my votes", which strikes me as being closed-minded.

Closed-minded? You suggest this as if the two candidates are relatively equally reasonable and qualified. They're not. Romney has done nothing in a lifetime of business or a an overflowing campaign season to suggest he could run a country. In fact, he's convinced me he's absolutely the wrong person for the job.

If Obama went on a mass murder spree, then sold our entire military to China, I would vote third party, not for Romney.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:30 pm

So this is a pic of the line for early voting someone posted recently

https://twitter.com/nikita_chiquita/sta ... to/1/large

Why is this happening?
I'm trying really hard to understand why so many people are willing to wait in a line like this to vote today when it seems like even more of a hassle than doing it on election day.
I haven't had to wait in a line that long to vote since I was a student in the '90s.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mayact4 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:42 pm

I just got home from work at the City County Building and it is packed. The line, double-wide per the instructions of the poll workers, goes all the way to the end of the first floor hallway, then loops around and heads back to the front. The line outside hadn't turned the corner onto the Doty side but was getting very close.

I don't understand it either. Surely there will be shorter lines than this at many polling places.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:37 pm

For major elections, I've always had to wait at least 30 minutes to vote at a polling place. That is, after having arrived another 30 minutes before the polls opened. A solid hour.

But as I noted above, I spent only 10 minutes on Thursday. Early voting offers more opportunities to find a lull. And I think it encourages more people to vote, since it's much harder to make excuses.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:12 pm

When I voted in 2000 at the polls I waited over an hour(granted it was near east side) Since then I've been voting for presidential elections early. Never more than 20-30 minutes. Alas, I do work on campus so I can walk there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:31 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:So this is a pic of the line for early voting someone posted recently

https://twitter.com/nikita_chiquita/sta ... to/1/large

Why is this happening?
I'm trying really hard to understand why so many people are willing to wait in a line like this to vote today when it seems like even more of a hassle than doing it on election day.
I haven't had to wait in a line that long to vote since I was a student in the '90s.

I believe it was in '08 that I probably had to wait in line 45-60 minutes to vote. Not the case for most races, but it certainly can be for big elections. So I wouldn't assume the line in that photo is necessarily worse.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 am

Although I started this discussion with comments about Wisconsin early voting, I thought this article about Florida fits in this thread: Judge orders 1 Fla. county to extend early voting

A judge extended early voting hours in one Florida county on Sunday after the state Democratic Party sued in an effort to give people more time at the polls.

Some voters had faced waits several hours long on Saturday, the last scheduled day of early voting. The judge ruled on a lawsuit filed late Saturday in Orange County after an early voting site was shut down for several hours. The Winter Park library was evacuated when a suspicious package — a cooler — was found outside. It was later detonated by a local bomb squad.

Bill Cowles, the Orange County elections supervisor, said that voters who show up on Sunday will be asked to use a provisional ballot because the Republican Party of Florida had appealed the decision. The extra hours will be offered at only the Winter Park library.

The state party also filed a federal lawsuit Sunday morning seeking more voting time in Palm Beach, Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

Will Florida scrw up the election again, as in 2000?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Floyd » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:17 pm

bdog wrote:Wow. How many of you haven't had the surgery to remove the sticks from your asses? It's an outpatient procedure nowadays.

I am running a special on that procedure this week.
Floyd
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government