MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama returning to Madison on Monday

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama returning to Madison on Monday

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:56 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:I consider myself a liberal (A/K/A classical liberal, libertarian, minarchist etc). Look at my postings here. I think I have been pretty consistent in expressing that viewpoint.

John Henry

You're saying John Stuart Mill and Jeremy Bentham were libertarians? (Not exactly sure what a "minarchist" is). I think this pretty well justifies our not taking you very seriously as a political observer or analyst.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Meade wrote:
HawkHead wrote:
2004 Presidential
Kerry - 1,489,501
Bush - 1,478-120

2008 Presidential
Obama - 1,670,474
McCain - 1,258,181

2010 Governor
Walker - 1,128,941
Barrett - 1,004,303

2012 Recall
Walker - 1,334,450
Barrett - 1,162,785

Thanks for finding those numbers, HawkHead. My analysis of them leads me to my prediction for the 2012 Presidential election:

Romney - 1,436,054 ✔
Obama - 1,312,587

That's right: with none of the precincts reporting, I am calling Wisconsin for Romney. Please make a note.

My prediction for the total popular vote:

Romney - 62,930,000
Obama - 58,115,000

Electoral College:

Romney - 304
Obama - 234
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:You're saying John Stuart Mill and Jeremy Bentham were libertarians? (Not exactly sure what a "minarchist" is). I think this pretty well justifies our not taking you very seriously as a political observer or analyst.

I don't think the term "libertarian" existed back then. There was no need for it. "Liberal" (generally translated from Latin as "A free man") served perfectly well. Until, as Hayek says, it was hijacked to mean almost the complete opposite.

So Mill was not a libertarian but was a liberal. As such, his views were pretty compatible with what many call libertarian today.

Bentham more or less the same but he was somewhat more complex. We can talk about him separately if you like.

As for minarchist, I would have thought a bright fellow like you could figure it out. "Min" as in minimal "archist" government. Or you could look it up.

I view libertarian, liberal, classic liberal and minarchist as all roughly synonymous. Strong belief in maximizing personal liberty, very minimal government limited mainly to police, military and related protective functions. It is a pretty big tent, though, with a whole range of opinions and ideas around that central tenet.

As for taking me seriously, meh. I don't take you seriously, why should I care whether you take me seriously or not?

I came for the comedy, I stay for the silliness.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:21 pm

rabble wrote:Fuck you, dick. You're lying through your conservative Republican teeth.

Says the anonymous Nemo about the man who has posted probably a million plus words on politics and current events on the Internet over the past 23 years. Under his own real name. Probably 15,000 or more notes just at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NIOT/

So, Backatcha.

Go find something here or elsewhere to support your allegation that I am a conservative.

Perhaps first, you could tell us what you think the word means? I suspect that for you it is like the word "fascist". No idea what it means, just a handy epithet to throw at people whose ideas make you uncomfortable.

I've explained a number of times on this forum why I support Obama. You can go back and look. You may not like my reasons but they are real.

Worse is better.

Have you voted?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:26 pm

For the record, I have a 100% perfect record of voting only for Demmie presidential candidates.

McGovern in '72

No republican ever.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:44 pm

rabble wrote:If Romney wins, he has a mandate, the people have spoken, a real patriot would shut the hell up and give the guy a chance, and those damned activists in Congress should be shot.

I am afraid you are right on this, as far as the Repo leadership goes.

Under Obama we have had 2 serious libertarian candidates, Ron Paul and Gary Johnson (currently on 47 or so state ballots). We have the tea party. We had an electoral revolution in 2010. We look to repeat that this year with more tea party candidates being elected. Rand Paul looks like an effective voice for liberalism in the Senate and a potential presidential candidate in 4-8 years. We had Sarah Palin scaring the bejeezus out of all progressives for reasons that are beyond me. Even if I did not agree with her basically liberal politics, I would love her for that reason alone. (Andrew Sullivan has been a hoot in his gig as a forensic gynecologist)

Obama has been a horrible president by any measure. However, his horribleness has gotten the pot pretty well on the boil. I am afraid if Romney wins, the heat will get turned down and all these folks will be coopted, told to shut up or otherwise made to go away.

We need Obama to push against.

If Romney wins, we are screwed.

That is what this election is about. I think it is the most important election in my lifetime.

I hope everyone here has voted. It looks like it will be close in WI, and many previously solid states. Every vote will count in this election.

Worse is better.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:06 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
Radical Cheerleader wrote:Obama has been ahead in Wisconsin for a long time. He's not gonna lose here.

So why is he so worried?

Why is he going to Madison Monday?

Why not some state that is at then margins that he might be able to change from lose to win?

John Henry

Because people all over the country watch his campaign stops on TV, and Madison is a city where President Obama is guaranteed to get a huge turnout and great response from the crowd. With this stop being the day before the election, it's time to shore up the base and show all Americans watching that he has the momentum and excitement of voters to win. This will be more about national image than specifically Wisconsin, because of course Obama has Dane County in the bag.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Slick Willy wrote:it's time to shore up the base and show all Americans watching that he has the momentum and excitement of voters to win.

This is what all Americans watching will see: Obama in retreat. They'll see a tired beleaguered incumbent running to the last safe place where he can predictably draw (what they expect to be) a crowd of 50 thousand followers. But will they turn out for him at 6 am? Even earlier, wait in line for hours, and then march, with enthusiasm mustered, around the Capitol to stand and listen to another prepared campaign speech - so similar to the one 30 thousand listened to only 1 short month ago?

Maybe they will. Obama had better hope so.

A dose of adoration would help him right now, and boozy love - maybe a little glow if he can afford it.

It will be like a snow day.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Meade wrote:This is what all Americans watching will see: Obama in retreat. They'll see a tired beleaguered incumbent running to the last safe place where he can predictably draw (what they expect to be) a crowd of 50 thousand followers. But will they turn out for him at 6 am? Even earlier, wait in line for hours, and then march, with enthusiasm mustered, around the Capitol to stand and listen to another prepared campaign speech - so similar to the one 30 thousand listened to only 1 short month ago?

A dose of adoration would help him right now, and boozy love - maybe a little glow if he can afford it.

Gates don't open till 7AM, and with The Boss playing, there will be a HUGE turnout! I'm going, and I know a whole bunch of people who have already RSVPed.

There's no snow in the forecast for Monday.

You can try and discourage people by talking about how early and snowy it will be, or call Bruce a tired out old has-been, but it won't work, because nobody cares what you think. It will be a lot of fun, and a lot of excited people will be there cheering and having a good time. This is the home stretch for the President, and the polls are looking really good for him all across the country, not just in Madison.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Oh! Well, I imagine they must be lining up at the top of State Street even as I type these words. I mean, after all, it's The Boss playing!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Meade wrote:Oh! Well, I imagine they must be lining up at the top of State Street even as I type these words. I mean, after all, it's The Boss playing!

So you went from saying that it will be 20,000 less people than expected to people lining up two days ahead of time? Whatever.

A free Springsteen concert in Madison and a chance to see the Prez? Even though Obama will mainly give his stump speech, the place will definitely draw even more than the 30K who went to the last rally.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:34 pm

If Meade really thinks Obama is going to lose, I can't for the life of me understand why he would turn down the chance to invest on Wagstrade.

Not only is he always wrong with his predictions, he's chickeshit to boot.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:39 am

Meade wrote:This is what all Americans watching will see: Obama in retreat. They'll see a tired beleaguered incumbent running to the last safe place where he can predictably draw (what they expect to be) a crowd of 50 thousand followers. But will they turn out for him at 6 am? Even earlier, wait in line for hours, and then march, with enthusiasm mustered, around the Capitol to stand and listen to another prepared campaign speech - so similar to the one 30 thousand listened to only 1 short month ago?

This is some your most developed Obama fanfic yet. You are a strange duck.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 am

acereraser wrote:This is some your most developed Obama fanfic yet. You are a strange duck.

Thanks, ace. Developing Obama fanfic does have a special meta satisfaction to it.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:58 am

I heard that Obama will be staying in Madison tonight. Anyone know where?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government