MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 am

From HV's link:

Legalization opponent Kevin Sabet, a former adviser to the Obama administration's drug policy director, disputed the argument of many libertarians that government should not interfere in pot use by people.

"The libertarian argument is fundamentally flawed because drug use does not affect just the individual, it affects healthcare costs, criminal justice costs that we see with a legal drug like alcohol and costs to our highway safety," Sabet said.

Sure it could affect healthcare costs -- decreasing them by providing an affordable alternative to a lot of expensive and, for some, less effective remedies. And the criminal justice costs are a product of present law, not an independent expense. And drug use isn't going to go up a whole lot with new legislation. It pretty much is what it is.

The Netherlands has backed down on their legal-for-everybody-anywhere concept. The unintended consequences went too far, even for them. We're nowhere near that point.

You want to pick up some crossover votes? This is not the way to go, Mr. Sabet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Johnny Kayoss » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Would you introduce legislation to create a Wisconsin State Bank similar to the North Dakota model?
Johnny Kayoss

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm

I voted for Dedering.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:59 pm

snoqueen wrote:The Netherlands has backed down on their legal-for-everybody-anywhere concept. The unintended consequences went too far, even for them. We're nowhere near that point.

Not quite:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... a/1668761/

The incoming Dutch government has ditched plans for a national "weed pass" that would have been available only to residents and that would have effectively banned tourists from Amsterdam's marijuana cafes.

However, under a provisional governing pact unveiled this week, cities can bar foreigners from weed shops if they choose
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government