MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Tommy vs Tammy

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Well, Tammy won the first one and I don't think anyone watched. Do we have reason to believe a bunch of undecided voters tuned in to a debate on the Friday before Halloween? I didn't even know about it until you guys bumped the thread.

I'll take your word for it that Tommy won, but I'm not sure how much good it does him.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6151
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Huckleby » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:17 pm

pjbogart wrote: Do we have reason to believe a bunch of undecided voters tuned in to a debate on the Friday before Halloween?

Ya, impact might be tiny. But it is a tight race.

Tammy got her nuts cut off right at the start: the moderator opens by asking "National Journal and others have identified you as being among the most, if not the most liberal member of congress. How do you account for this?"

This is a knife to the heart. If her opponent calls her super-liberal, it sounds like the usual campaign talk. But coming from the supposedly objective moderator, with confirmation of serious-sounding journals, there's no escape, no answer. By running away from "liberal" label with lame "progressive" dodge instead of proudly owning it, she made the worst of a bad situation. Painful.

The supposedly balancing tough question for Tommy was, "why aren't you the same guy you used to be?" Well, this is a softball that opens up an opportunity for Tommy to document a stream of positives about his recent career.

They could have stopped the fight right there with a TKO
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6567
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 pm

The latest Marquette University Law School poll released Wednesday showed Democrat Tammy Baldwin leading Republican challenger Tommy Thompson 47 percent to 43 percent.


Also:
The same poll shows a lead for President Obama over Mitt Romney, 51 percent to 43 percent.


The latest Marquette University poll.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19869
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
The latest Marquette University Law School poll released Wednesday showed Democrat Tammy Baldwin leading Republican challenger Tommy Thompson 47 percent to 43 percent.


Also:
The same poll shows a lead for President Obama over Mitt Romney, 51 percent to 43 percent.


The latest Marquette University poll.



is a 5% difference between party affiliation normal in the Marquette poll? It seems like that might be skew the data a little.
https://law.marquette.edu/poll/wp-conte ... VOTERS.pdf
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2415
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm

You can count me as another who thought Tammy had absolutely no chance. I have seldom been happier to be wrong about something.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:27 am

I am so proud of Tammy Baldwin and Wisconsin voters tonight. We have sent Tammy Baldwin, and openly gay women, to the Senate. The first openly gay senator in the history of the United States. She's a shameless liberal, a Dane Country "wacko", a person who hails from a town of freaks run by freaks. And she won a State-wide election. We made that happen. Pat yourself on the back.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6151
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby kurt_w » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 am

It's almost enough to make me want to move back.

Good work, cheeseheads. This helps make up for what happened to Feingold.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 am

In her acceptance speech she thanked Russ for working for her during the campaign, which was kind of cool. I think over time she'll acquit herself just as well as he did in the Senate, though her style is much different.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11498
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby KidCapitol » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 am

The ONLY differences between these two is:
1) One is male the other isn't.
2) One is a carpet muncher. The other isn't.
3) One vowel in their first names.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 am

Did anyone notice something bizzare that seemed out of view during Tommy's concession? Man, I found that uncomfortable to watch! Before Tommy's run for the senate I saw him in a nostalgic sense then he ramped it up. Now I have stitched enough between Tammy's victory speech and his concession to realize that the context of this "race" sucked. Again, we better figure this shit out as...
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Average Joe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:45 am

My heart swells with pride for Wisconsin in electing Tammy Baldwin to the Senate.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:16 am

KidCapitol wrote:The ONLY differences between these two is:
1) One is male the other isn't.
2) One is a carpet muncher. The other isn't.
3) One vowel in their first names.


You really don't know anything about politics or government, do you?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:29 am

kurt_w wrote:It's almost enough to make me want to move back.

Good work, cheeseheads. This helps make up for what happened to Feingold.

Unfortunately, the GOP took back control of the Wisconsin Senate, thus giving them total control of all branches of Wisconsin's government.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19869
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby scratch » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:45 am

Stu Levitan wrote:
KidCapitol wrote:The ONLY differences between these two is:
1) One is male the other isn't.
2) One is a carpet muncher. The other isn't.
3) One vowel in their first names.


You really don't know anything about politics or government, do you?


Let alone grammar.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 am

scratch wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:
KidCapitol wrote:The ONLY differences between these two is:
1) One is male the other isn't.
2) One is a carpet muncher. The other isn't.
3) One vowel in their first names.


You really don't know anything about politics or government, do you?


Let alone grammar.
Or arithmetic. I count two vowels.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3173
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar