MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Election night reactions thread

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Election night reactions thread

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 am

Mike Murphy Republican strategist is not happy.

This guy reminds me of the Jonah Hill character from Moneyball.

Tea Party is dead.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 am

Some talk out there about how the GOP has damaged itself by alienating and energizing non-white voters for the sake of a few extra votes from old white guys.

There's some truth to that.

But look at virtually all-white New Hampshire. It's supposed to be a swing state. Well, Obama just won convincingly, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. The Republicans lost the governor's race (badly), appear to be losing both the state's Congressional races, and are doing pretty badly down-ticket too.

The GOP's problems go far beyond alienating non-white voters.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:34 am

Pshaw. New Hampshire voted for the White Guy.

They're so white they have to wear sunglasses because they're hurting each other's eyes.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 am

The GOP lost big on many levels. This was their 2010. I'm happy with many outcomes especially Tammy and Warren. Today was a good day; for me at least.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 am

It doesn't hurt that the candidates the Rs recruit are, in many cases, such a bunch of morans.

That's partly the awful platform they're called upon to represent, but just as much the narrowminded, authoritarian way the whole party is run. (I mean, do we have to all sign that stupid Grover Norquist pledge?) You just don't get the highest quality of candidate under those conditions, and that goes right to the top of the ticket.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:44 am

Michelle Bachmann is ahead by 128 votes with 58% reporting. Her loss would be the icing on my cake. I used to live in her district, not while she was in office, but her schtick always aggravates a little bit more because of the fact.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:44 am

OK, I had seen lots of people linking to that Chris Rock video, but had never bothered to click on it.

But for pjbogart I'll give it a try ...

... yeah, that is pretty funny. Very funny, in fact, and like most successful humor there's a lot of truth to it.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:46 am

snoqueen wrote:You just don't get the highest quality of candidate under those conditions...

In a related note, Fred Clark wins Wisconsin Assembly District 81 with very little smacking around.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 am

snoqueen wrote:(I mean, do we have to all sign that stupid Grover Norquist pledge?)

Fresh off a win, I think it's fair for Obama to demand that Republicans reaffirm their dedication to voters and the United States of America.

"I'm not asking you to promise to raise revenue, I'm asking you to tell Grover Norquist that you have a higher calling, a calling to represent the people of your districts and your States. That as a public servant you don't accept the demands of interest groups, particularly interest groups composed of a single man. You serve the men and women who voted you into office and no one else."
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:10 am

I can't believe it. This is the best night for America in my whole life.

Gay marriage looks to win in all 4 states- including two popular referendums that have never won before. That issue is over, except for a little more shouting.

The anti-immigration forces have been permanently crushed. The 12 million illegals are going to get a path to citizenship. The republicans have no choice. The demographic cliff was reached tonight in Colorado, Nevada & Florida.

Health care will soon be a right of citizenship, the remaining opposition in a few Republican-controlled states are holding a losing hand.

Even if Republicans sweep back into power in 2016, they can not reverse the positive change that have been enshrined tonight.

Tammy Baldwin and Elizabeth Warren in the Senate is too good to be true, not sure I believe it.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 am

bdog wrote:Tea Party is dead.

They are dead for national and statewide elections, but they can still win congressional seats. The Tea Party is a albatross for Republicans. In fact, the whole friggin South has become a burden for the Republicans nationally. I love that Georgia, Mississippi, South Carlolina etc. are red states, let the Republicans be a regional party!

Actually, for the good of the country, it would be better if moderate forces in Republican party win the ideological battle to come. The Dems don't have all the good ideas.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 am

Looking at both the presidential race and a lot of down-ticket races, this election sure looks like the Confederate states marching in one direction and the rest of the country heading off in the other.

Looks like a bad night for Flanders at all levels. Minnesota is just a bloodbath. Obama wins, Dems take both houses of the legislature, marriage ban seems to be losing...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:32 am

kurt_w wrote:Looks like a bad night for Flanders at all levels. Minnesota is just a bloodbath. Obama wins, Dems take both houses of the legislature, marriage ban seems to be losing...

So far it looks like he still has Crazy Eyes Bachmann.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 am

bdog wrote:Mike Murphy Republican strategist is not happy.

This guy reminds me of the Jonah Hill character from Moneyball.

I saw Murphy on a bit after your post, and he seemed a more resigned to the defeat, and even a little uplifted at the thought that the higher powers in the GOP were going to have to come to terms with what the numbers people (Murphy included) have been telling them, which is that they can't win by supporting the rape-centric, anti-brown people, anti-gay rhetoric of the last few years. One factoid I saw flash by was that since 2008, the number of Latino voters in Florida increased by more than the total number of Jewish voters. I have to admit, as a leftist, I have taken comfort in the knowledge that the GOP base will not increase at their current tack.

edited for clarity
Last edited by acereraser on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 am

fennel wrote:Yes, and it looks like my favorite professor has won in MA.

:cry:
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government