MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Top Ten All-Time Forons

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Top Ten All-Time Forons

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:You guys are all gonna be so embarrassed when #1 turns out to be "Everyone Else".

Oh no. Not the Lake Wobegon cop out. I want of go on record as saying that everyone else are undateable, mouth-breathing losers. God only handed-out so many sparkling personalities, we should salute the attractive ten and admit that everyone else could use a makeover.
Last edited by Huckleby on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 am

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I really don't think it's bad that some consistently good contributors get a little special recognition. On the other, it does remind me of a discussion some years ago about how the Forum was like a gated community. This exercise seems to support that narrative.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 am

gargantua wrote:On the other, it does remind me of a discussion some years ago about how the Forum was like a gated community. This exercise seems to support to that narrative.

It's true that popular people in a group tend to not be too odd, at least superficially. High School was mostly about conformity, even the rebels were rebellous in the prescribed manner.
Last edited by Huckleby on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am

My theory is the delay in announcing the top 3 is because the top 3 are being chosen based on the replies to the first 7.

A brilliant idea, bravo Jason!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 am

bdog wrote:My theory is the delay in announcing the top 3

In most elections, delay is the first sign of corruption. Election monitors get suspicious when things aren't moving along. I share your concerns.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:26 am

Well, I'm prepared to finish this list if Jason isn't.

At #3 is Marvell, a man so smart that he knows more about Walt Whitman than he learned by watching "The Dead Poet Society". Dude puts down some serious insults, but they're always entertaining and usually require a dictionary. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure that Marvell operates the always clever sock-puppet "Talon Newsman".

At #2 is Chuck Schick. Chuck is perhaps the most entertaining person on the entire internet... he's one mean scenester. Not only does Chuck offer insightful criticism, he does so with insults that often require a few Rolaids. He's smart, plays a mean Bass, and never pulls any punches.

At #1 is The Troll. You know him. He keeps you coming back to respond to his mind-numbingly idiotic posts. He's Cornbread, Meade, BDWG, Spock, Pkram and the irrepressible Ned Flanders. He didn't come to educate you, he came to keep you fuming for ten pages of moronic replies from someone who has no interest in conversation. He's a racist, he's a sexist, he's everything you loathe and you sign on every day just to see what stupidity he's brought to the table.

If there were no stupid people, you couldn't consider yourself smart. And that's reason enough to keep reading.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:12 am

rrnate wrote:
Jason, why are you so obsessed with boring bar rock bands that feature dudes who can't sing? (Afghans, Hold Steady, etc.)

Wait, what???? You're equating the singing ability of Craig Finn and Greg Dulli??? That's the goofiest thing I've seen in ages.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am

minicat wrote:
rrnate wrote:
Jason, why are you so obsessed with boring bar rock bands that feature dudes who can't sing? (Afghans, Hold Steady, etc.)

Wait, what???? You're equating the singing ability of Craig Finn and Greg Dulli??? That's the goofiest thing I've seen in ages.

Yes I am - they're both terrible in my book. One at least *tries* to sing, but neither of 'em can. I am completely convinced people think the things they do about them solely based on well-written promotional materials.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 am

WTF?
Not even an honorable mention?
I'm almost hurt!
:roll:

It's nice to see everyone's gotten over their fear of posting pictures in threads. Remember that? So 2005!

Lets give a nice golf clap for our gracious host, Mssr. Joyce!
He's been here since day one and has been the guiding force behind keeping the forum humming along.
Jason, you were right not to let forons message each other and that it would only lead to legal problems. Clearly the rest of web agreed with you.

rrnate started posting here because of me so you're welcome.
Schick will always be my number 1. Nobody could write like him (them?).

On a serious note though...
I've met some damn fine people via this forum over the years.
While I'm not a fan of the way Jason chose to manage it there's no doubt it was an important meeting place for the music and political scene when there was no place else.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 am

It's been 4 weeks and we still don't have the final 3 picks? What's up with that?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 am

fisticuffs wrote:It's been 4 weeks and we still don't have the final 3 picks? What's up with that?

It should be an article in the print edition. Some of these forons have been around for years. Reveal the top 3, who they are, what they do, and why the come to TDPF on a regular basis. Might be a fun read.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Depending on the results of last night's elections, some Forons who really stuck their necks out in the prediction thread might have been able to leapfrog the pack and squeeze in for a coveted slot.

Just kidding. I'll resume the list tomorrow. I've been too busy to give the top 3 the amount of attention they deserve. And since this is my project and I didn't give myself a deadline, I haven't observed one.

Some of you need to chill the hell out.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 pm

jjoyce wrote:Some of you need to chill the hell out.

the beatings will continue until morale improves. :lol:
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:51 pm

:x
Huckleby wrote:

the beatings will continue until morale improves. :lol:

Thank you sir, may I have another!
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Maybe you need to add a "Also receiving votes" category to soothe egos.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com