MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Why Romney Lost

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Why Romney Lost

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Unless you're middle school boys, of course, then it's not so creepy, I suppose.

It's creepy for a grown man to find a grown woman incredibly attractive? Or is it just creepy to post pictures of hot chicks in general? I'm not getting your reference.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 pm

I wonder if the Romney (and his supporters) attack ads and obnoxious robocalls turned off voters who might have otherwise cast their ballots for him.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 pm

fisticuffs wrote:It's creepy for a grown man to find a grown woman incredibly attractive? Or is it just creepy to post pictures of hot chicks in general? I'm not getting your reference.

I know, I know... eye of the beholder and everybody's taste is different and all that... But yeah, while she may be almost 30, she acts like a high schooler and looks like a plastic doll and yes, I find her more than a little repulsive.

You are well within your rights to ignore my request -- and it was just a request, with a please and everything -- but yeah, grown men who drool over Katy Perry do kinda creep me out, especially the ones who don't understand why.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

jammybastard wrote:Considering she's a devout born again Christian I was surprised she came out for Obama like she did.

Are you kidding? She married Russell Brand. Obama is Oral Freaking Roberts compared to that.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I wonder if the Romney (and his supporters) attack ads and obnoxious robocalls turned off voters who might have otherwise cast their ballots for him.

I don't think Romney had a monopoly on attack ads, though the President's ads did tend to be a bit more positive. Toward the end we saw some "hope and change" ads from Romney that were more inspirational and about his candidacy, rather than focusing on Obama.

I can't help but wonder if Libya hurt Mitt Romney irreparably. It's not so much that Americans support the President's decisions, or lack thereof, but that Republicans bet the farm on Libya and spent over a month talking about it 24-7. Rush and Fox could. not. shut. up. about. Libya. It's like a missing month in their campaign where they could have been talking about jobs, the economy and the sorts of issues that seemed to help Romney's numbers. Instead they were talking about Libya. And Libya. Worse than Watergate! No one died in Watergate! Libya, Libya, Libya.

Ask Meade about Libya, he'll tell you all about it.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:03 pm

rrnate wrote:I think it's two things:

1. Republican Electoral College Ceiling - it's there now, just like it was for the dems back when. Basically losing 1-2 "contested" states puts them under the 270 line. Their platform over the last 15 years has put them in a bad place with pretty much anyone who is not male/white/35+.

This point's been bouncing around since last night a lot. I can't say as I see this, at least for this election (though I think this will be far more of an issue for the right going forward). I mean, Romney got 48 percent of the vote. 48 percent of America is not old white guys, so there's other demographics who are equally as misinformed, super rich or brainwashed by religion.

48 percent! How can the backwards, bigoted Republican platform be garnering 48 percent of the vote?! Think about that for a bit. It's as confusing as Wisconsin giving total political control back to the Fitzwalkerstan army.

HV, I agree on the Libya thing. I didn't get it. Yes, the attack on the embassy was bad, but the single minded attempt to blame Obama for it (as well as the often bizarre parsing of whether it was called terrorism or not) was misguided at best.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Ask Meade about Libya, he'll tell you all about it.

"Legitimate Rape" Akin made a point to basically call Obama a murderer over it during is "concession" speech last night. First time I'd heard a concession speech that was just hate-filled nonsense about a candidate the loser wasn't even running against.

Hey GOP go find more Akin's.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 pm

minicat wrote:48 percent! How can the backwards, bigoted Republican platform be garnering 48 percent of the vote?! Think about that for a bit.

I attempted (however unsuccessfully) to address this very question in this thread on Sunday.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:25 pm

minicat wrote:I mean, Romney got 48 percent of the vote. 48 percent of America is not old white guys, so there's other demographics who are equally as misinformed, super rich or brainwashed by religion.

I do not remember who on ABC's coverage mentioned this, but they were seeing young, white, working-class married males trending toward Romney.

So, the GOP appears to be cultivating a new crop of old white guys.

Which, given broader demographic changes, will not mean what it used to.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:33 pm

minicat wrote:I mean, Romney got 48 percent of the vote. 48 percent of America is not old white guys, so there's other demographics who are equally as misinformed, super rich or brainwashed by religion.

48 percent! How can the backwards, bigoted Republican platform be garnering 48 percent of the vote?! Think about that for a bit. It's as confusing as Wisconsin giving total political control back to the Fitzwalkerstan army.

Right, but that's the popular vote, which doesn't win the election. From an electoral college perspective, it IS kind of a landslide - 303 to 202 is pretty wide.

Mitt was consistently at or under the 270 line from a polling perspective and that's a really good indicator of not only his specific issues but for the Repubs in general - they're ending up in a spot where they don't have enough states in play.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 pm

minicat wrote:HV, I agree on the Libya thing. I didn't get it. Yes, the attack on the embassy was bad, but the single minded attempt to blame Obama for it (as well as the often bizarre parsing of whether it was called terrorism or not) was misguided at best.

My take is that the Republican Party, Fox News, etc., are very much in the "ends justify the means" camp. Taken at face value, yeah, the Libya stuff is tangential to all of the main issues in the campaign. But it was one of the only talking points they were getting even a tiny bit of traction with, if only on the far right. So, they went with it. Seeing as their only motive for using this was to get Romney elected, I suspect we won't be hearing much more about it anymore (and I challenged Ned with as much a few days ago).

EDIT: To satisfy my own curiosity, as of this moment, not a single mention of "Libya" or "Benghazi" on the front page of foxnews.com.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey. Anybody seen John Henry? He's not joining in the celebration.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:44 pm

rabble wrote:Hey. Anybody seen John Henry? He's not joining in the celebration.

Hmmm... maybe he's too busy at work today. One way to find out...
johnfajardohenry wrote:Give me a call at 787-550-9650
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Hey. Anybody seen John Henry? He's not joining in the celebration.

Is it too late for Obama to drop out of the race or for Palin to step in as the Rominee?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government