MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 82.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Why Romney Lost

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Why Romney Lost

Postby Donald » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 pm

The concentration on Libya was (1) a play to drive up white male support to counteract Obama's female support, (2) gain more traction with Christian fundies, who may have hesitated on the Mormon issue, and (3) and attempt to drive the story into the lamestream media, where it would scare more people into voting Romney. The huge push on the issue was a tell that the campaign was running out of anything more substantial to move voters.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:It's creepy for a grown man to find a grown woman incredibly attractive? Or is it just creepy to post pictures of hot chicks in general? I'm not getting your reference.

I know, I know... eye of the beholder and everybody's taste is different and all that... But yeah, while she may be almost 30, she acts like a high schooler and looks like a plastic doll and yes, I find her more than a little repulsive.

You are well within your rights to ignore my request -- and it was just a request, with a please and everything -- but yeah, grown men who drool over Katy Perry do kinda creep me out, especially the ones who don't understand why.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm

rrnate wrote:
... but that's the popular vote, which doesn't win the election. From an electoral college perspective, it IS kind of a landslide - 303 to 202 is pretty wide.

Is this why today's talking point appears to be "IT'S NOT A MANDATE"?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Ha, Republicans get spanked across the nation and all Flanders has is that gif. Whatever makes you happy dude.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Ha, Republicans get spanked across the nation and all Flanders has is that gif.
My guess is Flanders is spanking it right to that gif now.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Ha, Republicans get spanked across the nation and all Flanders has is that gif.
My guess is Flanders is spanking it right to that gif now.

Actually, just had an urge for a glass of milk. Not sure why, but it hit the spot.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:53 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Not surprisingly, there are lot of articles floating around the internets today with subjects along the lines of "what sort of soul-searching does America's right do now?" At least as far as Flanders goes, we know it is "HUR DUR!!! BIG BOOBIES MAKE MILK!!!!! HHHUURRR!!!"

Which is, frankly, more than I was expecting.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Actually, just had an urge for a glass of milk. Not sure why, but it hit the spot.

Probably because you're a fucking infant.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:59 pm

minicat wrote:
rrnate wrote:
... but that's the popular vote, which doesn't win the election. From an electoral college perspective, it IS kind of a landslide - 303 to 202 is pretty wide.

Is this why today's talking point appears to be "IT'S NOT A MANDATE"?

Yup. I mean, to be fair, it wasn't a mandate - popular vote-wise, it was pretty close. That's what's so mystifying about this whole campaign...the polling consistently showed Obama squeaking out wins in almost all of the contested spots and it really felt like the GOP didn't know how to effectively move the needle.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm

What would make it a mandate? The last I read Obama had won the popular vote as well.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:11 pm

rrnate wrote: That's what's so mystifying about this whole campaign...the polling consistently showed Obama squeaking out wins in almost all of the contested spots and it really felt like the GOP didn't know how to effectively move the needle.

Because they didn't believe the polls and didn't think they were behind. This from the same crew that denies science, so not too surprising.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:12 pm

fennel wrote:What would make it a mandate? The last I read Obama had won the popular vote as well.

Well, the whole "mandate" thing is kind of silly in most instances, but an overwhelming popular vote win is what I think is a clear mandate in a traditional sense. Without looking back at numbers, pretty sure Reagan had one of those in, uh, was it 84? 80? One of them.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
rrnate wrote: That's what's so mystifying about this whole campaign...the polling consistently showed Obama squeaking out wins in almost all of the contested spots and it really felt like the GOP didn't know how to effectively move the needle.

Because they didn't believe the polls and didn't think they were behind. This from the same crew that denies science, so not too surprising.

Heh - listening to some righties trying to decry poll sampling was pretty hilarious, in that the under-represented folks (poorer people, youngs with cell phones, etc.) tend to skew left.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:23 pm

rrnate wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Actually, just had an urge for a glass of milk. Not sure why, but it hit the spot.

Probably because you're a fucking infant.

And I thought you kids would be in a good mood today!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government