MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Monovox guitarist, Paul Heenan, Killed by Madison Police

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Monovox guitarist, Paul Heenan, Killed by Madison Police

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Meade wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote: I can't imagine how hurtful it would be for Heenan's friends and family to read that at this time.

Can you imagine how hurtful it might be to the friends and family of the cop to have his reputation impugned?

Just so I'm clear, and with all respect to the officer and his friends and family, what was the impugning you were responding to?
Last edited by Kenneth Burns on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Suicide by cop usually results when the despondent person points a firearm at a police officer, not when a drunk resists arrest.

And according to Schabow, the cop identified in the WKOW report is Walter.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:49 pm

I had the worst feeling about this one from the beginning and I couldn't say why. It bothered me all last night, and now you're telling me my hunch was right on.

Damn.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 pm

I will re-post exactly what I said in the first thread on this topic:

"This sucks for everyone: the deceased, the community, and the officers involved. I sincerely hope everyone can avoid leaping to conclusions or assigning blame until all the facts are in. For now, it's enough just to acknowledge it was a tragedy."

I guess my sincere hopes have been dashed.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jambatrumpet » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Heimsness was suspended for fifteen days for using excessive force in connection with a police response in 2001. Heimsness fired gunshots at the tires of a fleeing suspect's car in downtown Madison's Lake Street ramp.

In 2010, the city of Madison paid a $27,000 claim to Jacob Bauer over what the Isthmus newspaper reported was listed by the city controller as "MPD officer used excessive force" in connection with actions by Heimsness.

Police reports show Heimsness kicked Bauer as he tried to arrest the man in a downtown bar on Dec. 29, 2006. Reports show a bar employee called 911 in reaction to Heimsness's treatment of Bauer. But reports also show another bar employee stated Heimsness' actions were appropriate, given Bauer's conduct in the bar and his resisting arrest.
jambatrumpet

Postby Meade » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Heimsness is the treasurer of the Madison Professional Police Officers Association. In a newsletter to union membership on candidates for association positions, Heimsness referenced being disciplined.

"I have been involved in representing members undergoing disciplinary procedures for many years and have always sought to be the strongest advocate for our members as well as a buffer for them in those proceedings," Heimsness wrote. "No joke there, as I consider this to be the most important aspect of serving on the board. The reason I initially ran for a seat on the board was to give back after I was the focus of an investigation. I understand what it is like to be under that microscope and how important it is to have a union representative there on your side."

In 2003, Heimsness received a commendation for preventing the escape of an armed suspect.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:09 pm

What an absolutely gut-wrenching story. I'm sure everyone here understands that Walter can't come and clear his name even if he desperately wants to, and I suspect he does. I suspect he's going through a terrible time right now.

But the family and friends of Paul Heenan are surely devastated by this loss. I barely knew the guy and feel terrible about his death, all of my memories of him were nothing but positive. I can't imagine how this tragedy impacts those who knew him best.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Laurence, your remark was in really bad taste.

+1

Many of us know the officer AND the victim.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sallybell » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:20 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I will re-post exactly what I said in the first thread on this topic:

"This sucks for everyone: the deceased, the community, and the officers involved. I sincerely hope everyone can avoid leaping to conclusions or assigning blame until all the facts are in. For now, it's enough just to acknowledge it was a tragedy."

I guess my sincere hopes have been dashed.

Yes, on several levels.
sallybell

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 am

Holy crap. I don't know what else to say... :cry:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 am

jjoyce wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Laurence, your remark was in really bad taste.

+1

Many of us know the officer AND the victim.

You know what is bad taste? Selective suppression of free inquiry and free discussion. On an internet forum of all places.

Here's snoqueen in the other thread:
Re: Baldwin Street Shooting
by snoqueen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:53 pm

I'm around there all the time too. Yesterday was so weird, they had the block taped off and glum-looking cops were patrolling the edges and we had no idea what was wrong. It's an extreme tragedy for a lot of people and I feel terrible for everyone involved.

My own thought, unsubstantiated by anything at all, was that given the time of night, maybe the dead man was very high and out-of-control. I guess my mind was trying to find a way to exonerate everybody and blame it on drugs, which probably isn't fact-based thinking on my part. So don't anybody take it and run with it.

Reaction to that remark from Kenneth Burns and Jason Joyce? Nothing. Shaming for suggesting, while friends and family are grieving, that the deceased was abusing drugs or substances? None.

Reaction from Kenneth Burns and Jason Joyce to my questioning whether the killing could have been a suicide by cop: shaming, suppression.

The self-appointed taste police here are trigger-happy.

Btw, I'm heartened by what is revealed by my detractors: their abhorrence at the idea of self-murder. As a means of deterring self-murder, that abhorrence should be more freely and widely expressed.

So +1 for that, guys.
Last edited by Meade on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 am

Meade, I don't give a rip what you think about me or my comments, but for the sake of the music community, the police community, the east side, the forum, many individuals, and their friends and families, could you fucking put a cork in it for a while?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:48 am

Yeah, Meade's the victim here.
Sickening.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:55 am

snoqueen, take a look in the mirror. Cork your own thoughts and speech if you choose.

This was a home invasion that led to a killing. And many of you forons, including the administrator, Jason Joyce, want to control what is and what is not appropriate or "tasteful" speech, how and what should and should not be discussed.

Despicable.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:00 am

Why don't you people have Lawrence on ignore? I mean did you expect anything else from him on this or any other topic?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music