MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Monovox guitarist, Paul Heenan, Killed by Madison Police

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Monovox guitarist, Paul Heenan, Killed by Madison Police

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:16 pm

Meade wrote:The selective way you criticize others' speech here is very revealing.

Well, isn't that the point?

How one phrases questions and opinions and even responses to criticism can be very revealing. When someone makes the decision to be argumentative, provocative, even incendiary can also be revealing. "Suicide by cop" is a troubling term. That you chose to use it here, on this Forum, in this particular thread, is revealing.

delicate hothouse flowers of forons, easily offended by thoughts, questions, speech and ideas which might prick their safe ideological cocoon of self-righteousness, who can't seem to lay off attacking me for posing one simple troubling question

Thank you, Meade, for filling that necessary role here. If not you, who? If not now, when?

now that he apparently pulled the trigger of the gun that fired the bullets that killed a local musician you all identify with, now he's a pariah.

Really? I count many posts that directly refute this claim.

I sincerely hope everyone can avoid leaping to conclusions or assigning blame until all the facts are in.

I'm sure everyone here understands that Walter can't come and clear his name even if he desperately wants to, and I suspect he does. I suspect he's going through a terrible time right now.

When the confirmation came that Steve was involved with the shots being fired my heart sank.

What a horrible situation. I feel so bad for everyone involved, and for the victim's family especially. And yeah, for Steve too. I'm sure he is in a mess right now.

Meade wrote:No opinion on whether or not snoqueen's speculating was in really bad taste and thus she deserves discipline?

Who said anything about discipline? Talk about your hothouse flowers.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 pm

I, like Endorockstar and Snow Queen, felt absolutely completely shitty when I read this story. I met Paulie and knew him to be a super nice guy and a very talented musician and engineer.

Of course, as Meade pointed out, I know Steve well and consider him a friend. This whole thing is gut wrenchingly tragic. Of course, we all know that Steve himself is a huge supporter of the local Madison music scene.

My thoughts, my prayers, my sympathies go out to everyone involved in this shockingly awful situation. The whole thing is almost unthinkable.

It's just so fucking sad...every aspect of it.

Oh yeah, and by the way, Meade, you're a fucking dick and really there is no other response I plan to give you anymore for anything. I have truly lost all respect for you on how you are presenting yourself in the forum. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Schabow, the feelings are entirely mutual.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Meade wrote:And besides, what is the rule that we must not ask questions while waiting to draw conclusions until all the facts are known? And by whose authority should that rule be adhered to?

By no authority. I have no authority here. By my appeal to your decency and that of everyone contributing.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brentron909 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Back to the subject at hand, I found this decade-plus-old story on WIRED about Paul's old band Monovox.

Underneath all the ghoulish controversy surrounding the circumstances of Mr. Heenan's death, I think it's important to remember his life. Talking about his band might be a good way to start, which is why I think what oranger had in mind when he started this thread.

So, anyone have any good Monovox stories?
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby Mandoliniment » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Don't feed the troll, guys. Just don't.

Such a sad story. Even if it had been a burgler it's a horrible way for such a thing to end, but this? Wow.

I didn't know the guy but I know a number of people who did, and it seems almost surprising that I didn't given how much our worlds overlapped.
Mandoliniment

Postby Meade » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Chief Noble Wray said Monday that the man killed by a Madison police officer early Friday had grabbed the hand of the officer with one hand and was reaching toward his gun with the other when he was shot.http://host.madison.com/news/local/crim ... z2C3bDRX93

"Officer Heimsness believed his life was in danger and fired three shots," Wray said.

Wray and Madison police training officer Kimba Tieu said the use of deadly force under such circumstances is consistent with department policy and training.

An investigation by the department is continuing. The Dane County Sheriff's office is monitoring the department's investigation, Wray said.

The Dane County District Attorney's Office also will review the case.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:59 am

Meade wrote:
Chief Noble Wray said Monday that the man killed by a Madison police officer early Friday had grabbed the hand of the officer with one hand and was reaching toward his gun with the other when he was shot.

Wray and Madison police training officer Kimba Tieu said the use of deadly force under such circumstances is consistent with department policy and training.

1) Grabbed one hand, why?
2) The other hand was "reaching" (or pushing some perceived and real mortal threat away?).
3) This is developing into something terrifying that sucks for everyone involved, especially the young (and now deceased) man.
4) I am sad and really hope that this city learns something meaningful from the questionable context of this event.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:00 am

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about being disrespectful in the face of tragedy, given that Meade has cornered the market, but I can't help but feel that this entire story is some modern version of a Greek tragedy.

I sincerely doubt that Paul Heenan had an enemy in the world. From what I remember of him, he was about as easy-going as a kid could be. He always wore a smile, was tall and skinny with long, spindly arms and fingers that looked like god put him on this earth to play the guitar. He had a goofy "white man's fro" that made him look about 7 feet tall and he wore baggy pants before baggy pants were cool, probably because it was hard to find jeans with a 30 inch waist and a 36 inch inseam. I guess if you didn't know him, he might seem intimidating.

Walter was a police officer who loved the local music scene. He was well-respected by hipsters and senior citizens alike. No one spoke ill of Walter, in part because we all know deep down inside that being a cop isn't always a fun job. It's important that you always maintain control, largely because you have a gun on your hip and anywhere there's a gun, there's the threat of violence.

Paul Heenan's world tragically collided with Walter's. There was poor judgement, misunderstandings and ultimately tragedy. And while many of us recount fond memories of Paulie, Walter must live with those tortuous memories for the rest of his life.

In some ways, I think two men died that night. Paul Heenan died, he was the 20 year-old I knew who seemed offended when I suggested to him that Thom Yorke's greatest asset was his originality and his ear, because his vocal control seemed suspect at times. I remember having that conversation with him where I insisted that the greatest singers were people who were identifiable, but not necessarily perfect. REM was a great band, but it was Michael Stipe's unique voice that made them superstars. Much like Dylan, Bowie or Bono, when you heard that voice, you knew exactly who you were listening to. Paulie didn't like that much because he loved Radiohead and any suggestion that Thom Yorke was anything but perfect seemed offensive to him. That's the Paulie I remember.

But someone else died that night. The officer who felt comfortable checking out a local show and praising local musicians. He doesn't simply feel awkward, he feels like the enemy. Even when he's among friends who offer him forgiveness and understanding, he'll always feel those eyes, angry and full of mistrust. The old Walter is gone and the man who replaces him will never be quite the same.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:05 am

As bad as I feel for this Paulie, we don't need to write off Walter or consider him "dead". The facts that Noble Wray gave last night were that Paulie reached for his gun. Walter had an obligation to shoot. Just because Walter liked music and Paulie was a harmless looking musician doesn't change the appropriate action. Walter performed his job as he is required, a job most of us could not perform. It sucks, but I have yet to hear anything (other than the media getting ready to slander a cop before any details were released) that says Walter did anything wrong.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 am

pjbogart wrote:But someone else died that night. The officer who felt comfortable checking out a local show and praising local musicians. He doesn't simply feel awkward, he feels like the enemy. Even when he's among friends who offer him forgiveness and understanding, he'll always feel those eyes, angry and full of mistrust. The old Walter is gone and the man who replaces him will never be quite the same.

How about the homeowners who left their key in their front door - the door Paulie made the mistake of entering? Or the bartender or whoever provided whatever substance Paulie might have had too much of? Are you going to use your sappy literary skills to condemn and kill off those individuals too, pj?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cigi70 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 am

It is a sick tragedy that should have never happened. And posting comments that are hurtful to those of us that loved and knew Paulie make me sick. And really, a suicide comment!? Jesus, that is as low. Why don't you find something better to do with your time. Just knock it off. And as for worrying about the hurt that this officer is going through, please, give me a break. I am sure that he at least woke up and saw the sun rise today, unlike Paulie who was a kind an gentle soul that did not deserve to go down like this.
cigi70

Postby scratch » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:54 am

Meade wrote:
pjbogart wrote:But someone else died that night. The officer who felt comfortable checking out a local show and praising local musicians. He doesn't simply feel awkward, he feels like the enemy. Even when he's among friends who offer him forgiveness and understanding, he'll always feel those eyes, angry and full of mistrust. The old Walter is gone and the man who replaces him will never be quite the same.

How about the homeowners who left their key in their front door - the door Paulie made the mistake of entering? Or the bartender or whoever provided whatever substance Paulie might have had too much of? Are you going to use your sappy literary skills to condemn and kill off those individuals too, pj?

"Contempt for the community will result in deactivation
by admin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:38 pm
If the preponderance of posts from a member are insulting or combative, then that member's account will be deactivated."

Hollow words or merely no longer operative? Or is Meade special in ways others can only imagine?

Tired of reading this? Me, too, but I'd like for the admin to explain how Meade's latest rantings don't qualify for the scary consequences outlined as the result of contempt for the community.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 am

scratch wrote:
If the preponderance of posts from a member are insulting or combative, then that member's account will be deactivated.

Tired of reading this? Me, too, but I'd like for the admin to explain how Meade's latest rantings don't qualify for the scary consequences outlined as the result of contempt for the community.

scratch, I'd like you to show specific examples of my posts that you believe show "contempt for the community", "are insulting", "or combative". But not in this thread. This thread is titled "Monovox guitarist, Paul Heenan, Killed by Madison Police". Let's try to stay on topic, shall we?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Well, the part where you tried to argue that we should 'wait for all the facts came out' before describing a guy being shot to death by a MPD officer as being 'Killed by Madison Police' may or may not 'show contempt for the community', but it sure as hell shows contempt for causality.

What's insulting is that you expect anyone but yourself to lend any credence to your insipid dithering. As if, barring a stroke or an infestation of brain-devouring prions, I would ever be as stupid as you.

That's your hell, dumbass.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music