MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Get ready for more George Bush

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Get ready for more George Bush

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:54 pm

George P. Bush, that is.

Bush, 36, is the nephew of former President George W. Bush and grandson of former President George H.W. Bush. His father is former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, and his mother, Columba, is a native of Mexico.


He speaks fluent Spanish and comes from a family – particularly his father and uncle – that has made a concerted effort to build bridges to Latino voters.

“The two areas that we, as a party, are weakest in are areas he’s been focused on for well over two years,” said Republican consultant Matt Mackowiak, noting Bush’s work to attract younger voters and Hispanics. “I think that shows fortitude on his part.”


Latin in his background, photogenic, with the Texas Bush machine solidly behind him.

I think it's even money they'll run him in 2016. All they gotta do is keep him away from scandals.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6473
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:59 pm

The last time we had a president without prior experience as an elected official was when Eisenhower held office. But of course, Ike helped win WWII.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:10 pm

If they run him, they'll go with the "Obama didn't really have any experience either" defense. Whatever he's got under his belt by 2016 will be "more and better experience than that Muslim Kenyan had."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6473
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Is he going to run for (and get elected to) the U.S. Senate first?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby wack wack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:13 pm

If we're lucky, this Bush will be running for President of the New Republic of Texas in 2016.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby minicat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:19 pm

all I cay say to this is: Oh for fuck's sake.

Could the Republican party be any more out of ideas?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:35 pm

minicat wrote:Could the Republican party be any more out of ideas?

I wonder the same thing about the Dems every time I hear someone float Hillary Clinton's name as the best option for 2016. We fought a war of independence in this country partially to prevent the same damn families from always ruling us. Is the pool of potential candidates really so shallow?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9020
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
minicat wrote:Could the Republican party be any more out of ideas?

I wonder the same thing about the Dems every time I hear someone float Hillary Clinton's name as the best option for 2016. We fought a war of independence in this country partially to prevent the same damn families from always ruling us. Is the pool of potential candidates really so shallow?

Seems that way to me, yeah. I can't think of anybody else. Who'd you have in mind?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6473
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:40 pm

rabble wrote:I can't think of anybody else. Who'd you have in mind?
As I said in an earlier thread, it's a ways off yet. Why float anybody's name this far out?

But if you are correct, I still maintain it's a pretty fucking sad state of affairs.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9020
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rabble wrote:I can't think of anybody else. Who'd you have in mind?
As I said in an earlier thread, it's a ways off yet. Why float anybody's name this far out?

But if you are correct, I still maintain it's a pretty fucking sad state of affairs.

Four years is most definitely NOT "a ways off." It's barely a tick away. The person who takes that job had better damn well be out there making a name for herself right now.

Unless you think we ought to find a zero experience kid from a major player family and begin publicly grooming them for the job, there's got to be a list of candidates whose names are already known. Elizabeth Warren? Al Franken? Russ? Gabrielle Giffords would have been high on my list.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6473
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby Detritus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:18 pm

rabble wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
minicat wrote:Could the Republican party be any more out of ideas?

I wonder the same thing about the Dems every time I hear someone float Hillary Clinton's name as the best option for 2016. We fought a war of independence in this country partially to prevent the same damn families from always ruling us. Is the pool of potential candidates really so shallow?

Seems that way to me, yeah. I can't think of anybody else. Who'd you have in mind?

Bernie Sanders.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2513
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:40 pm

I'd love to see Bernie Sanders as President, but I'm not sure he could survive a Presidential campaign. He's good at staying on message and he's definitely got a populist tone that a lot of people could get behind, but he's also not shy about calling himself a socialist. I'm not sure what the exact percentage is, but I'm pretty sure that about 80% of Americans don't understand the term "socialism."

As to the OP, I'm sure when they reference 2016 they're talking about George P. Bush running for some office, but not the Presidency. He wouldn't get through the primary anyway.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6186
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:51 pm

It's pathetic they think all it takes to win public office is belong to a familiar conservative political family and be able to speak Spanish.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11763
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:05 pm

rabble wrote:Four years is most definitely NOT "a ways off." It's barely a tick away. The person who takes that job had better damn well be out there making a name for herself right now.

Unless you think we ought to find a zero experience kid...
I certainly think there are (or oughtta be) more than two options besides just Hillary Clinton and some zero experience kid.
And yes, I definitely think it's too early to be making assumptions or finalizing decisions, and heck, I don't even think we have four years to figure it out. We could wait two, though, doncha think?

Again, nobody in 2004 could have predicted that Obama would be the nominee in 2008, no matter how much buzz he was getting. And that raises another problem I have with Hillary: she already had a shot. Did we learn nothing from the "let's-run-the-guy-who-already-lost" lesson of the recent recall?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9020
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Get ready for more George Bush

Postby fennel » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:17 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'd love to see Bernie Sanders as President, but I'm not sure he could survive a Presidential campaign. He's good at staying on message and he's definitely got a populist tone that a lot of people could get behind, but he's also not shy about calling himself a socialist. I'm not sure what the exact percentage is, but I'm pretty sure that about 80% of Americans don't understand the term "socialism."

As to the OP, I'm sure when they refer to 2016 they're talking about George P. Bush running for some office, but not the Presidency. He wouldn't get through the primary anyway.
I'd love to see my former mayor run, too. The fact that he has no shame about his beliefs could be a "learning moment."

And can you imagine a president with a Brooklyn accent? I'm in.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Next

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar