MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Baldwin Street Shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby brentron909 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Unimaginable, heartbreaking news out of the near-east side this weekend. I lived in that neck of the woods for years and can't fathom how something like this happened. Sounds like the story is still developing, but the fact that the victim/ assailant was also a resident of the neighborhood makes the news even sadder. At the least, I hope the full story comes out and the officer responsible for killing someone is either brought to justice or exonerated for appropriate action. BUT, I can't really see how shooting at a robbery suspect would be appropriate IMHO.
brentron909
Forum Addict

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby rabble » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:29 pm

My bus rides past that block. I vote at that school. Sometimes we walk the dogs through that neighborhood.

I have so many thoughts on this subject that I'm not going to try and sort them out for a while.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm around there all the time too. Yesterday was so weird, they had the block taped off and glum-looking cops were patrolling the edges and we had no idea what was wrong. It's an extreme tragedy for a lot of people and I feel terrible for everyone involved.

My own thought, unsubstantiated by anything at all, was that given the time of night, maybe the dead man was very high and out-of-control. I guess my mind was trying to find a way to exonerate everybody and blame it on drugs, which probably isn't fact-based thinking on my part. So don't anybody take it and run with it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:57 pm

This sucks for everyone: the deceased, the community, and the officers involved. I sincerely hope everyone can avoid leaping to conclusions or assigning blame until all the facts are in. For now, it's enough just to acknowledge it was a tragedy.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting = a loss in the music community

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 pm

RIP Paul Heenan. Here's the article on him, with a quote from Mark Whitcomb: http://www.wkow.com/story/20050638/police-investigate-officer-involved-shooting-in-madison -- Evidently he drunkenly went into the wrong house, thinking it was his, and the result is certainly tragic. there was no burglary, it was a mistake. 3 shots to kill - huh? Why not a tazer or pepper spray? Paul was coming home from working sound @ the Crystal Corner for the Hometown Sweethearts. Ironic this occurs the night after Soglin held a meeting on improving the music scene here. I'm so sorry for Paul and his friends and family - to die over a misunderstanding - we can do better here, Madison. Can we get the questionable officers off the force please, Mr. DeSpain? So very, very sad.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/Friends-Shooting-victim-was-neighbor-who-entered-wrong-house/-/1648/17346664/-/10rv4id/-/index.html
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Holy crap. Paul Heenan recorded and mixed a few songs for a band I had about 10 years ago. He was a super mellow dude, kind of a surfer with no where to surf. Loved Radiohead, played guitar for Monovox at the time and was doing engineering at DNA.

You can hear his old band here

Here's a song he recorded for me: Alone

That's seriously depressing. Rest in Peace, buddy. I never heard a single soul say a bad word about you.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 pm

geez...

http://www.wkow.com/story/20061413/offi ... sive-force
UPDATE: Officer involved in Friday shooting previously disciplined for excessive force

... an officer who has previously been suspended for using excessive force-- shot Paul Heenan, 30, outside a South Baldwin Street home.

http://www.isthmus.com/isthmus/article. ... icle=30200
"They were basically stomping on his head," the employee, Elissa Parker, tells Isthmus. "There was more blood than I could ever fathom a person having."
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 am

They showed the pic of the college student the 'officer in question' stomped on and kneed in the head last year on the news last night (his face was extremely bloody). I hope either the 'officer' gets SUED by Paul's family, and/or goes to jail for the manslaughter he committed last week. Why can't you just TAZE ME, BRO? We count on the police to protect and serve. Neither of those things were done last thursday night. RIP Paul. Here's hoping this can karmically be made right - even though that seems impossible. The music community and Madison's east side remains shocked and dismayed.
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict

Postby david cohen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Not passing judgment until all of the toxicology reports are in and the MPD incident reports are complete and reviewed. This is a tragedy, but there sure are a lot of holes in the information we need to realistically evaluate the circumstances.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:They showed the pic of the college student the 'officer in question' stomped on and kneed in the head last year
For the record, this incident occurred in December of 2006, not last year.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:geez...

http://www.wkow.com/story/20061413/offi ... sive-force
UPDATE: Officer involved in Friday shooting previously disciplined for excessive force

... an officer who has previously been suspended for using excessive force-- shot Paul Heenan, 30, outside a South Baldwin Street home.

http://www.isthmus.com/isthmus/article. ... icle=30200
"They were basically stomping on his head," the employee, Elissa Parker, tells Isthmus. "There was more blood than I could ever fathom a person having."

In both of those cases, the District Attorney's Office found Heimsness did not break any laws.http://host.madison.com/news/local/crim ... z2C8xOdyPU
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The One » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:Why can't you just TAZE ME, BRO? We count on the police to protect and serve. Neither of those things were done last thursday night. RIP Paul. Here's hoping this can karmically be made right - even though that seems impossible. The music community and Madison's east side remains shocked and dismayed.

There are opportunities for civilians to take part in police training. I suggest you take the course. It is so easy to sit on the sidelines, after the fact, and scream criticism about how a trained officer should have managed the situation.

Here are a few tips...
1. If you charge at a cop, you will lose.
2. If you try to reach for a cops gun, YOU WILL GET SHOT
3. Police are trained that they shoot to stop. That means, they shoot multiple rounds.
4. Police are in training throughout their career. Reason for that is they learn to act right away at the situation. That means if someone is trying to get a weapon to use against you, you don't think, you act.

What happened is very tragic and I do feel for all who are involved and their families. Unfortunately, we can only take what the investigation tells us and it seems justified. Please morn and pray for Paul and his love ones. We can not, however, start blaming cops for doing what they are trained to do. That leads to second guessing and the end result of that is dead cops.
The One

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:33 pm

The One wrote:If you try to reach for a cops gun, YOU WILL GET SHOT

Unless you're Blunt. That's why he did a little time in the Dane County Jail. But (he said) he did it playfully.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:47 pm

The One wrote: We can not, however, start blaming cops for doing what they are trained to do.

I disagree. I think we can question and possibly blame the authority when we are shown a clear history of violence. According to this article, there was blood on this officer's hands and boots (and more):

http://www.isthmus.com/isthmus/article.php?article=30200

Not even a reprimand!?!

...and RIP Paul.
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict

Postby chopshop » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:10 pm

RIP Paulie. My thoughts to his family and friends and bandmates.
Last edited by chopshop on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
chopshop
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Headlines