MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Craigslist Etiquette

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Craigslist Etiquette

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:I know. but you're not far off. Half the shit on Craiglist right now is stuff people have bought from goodwill and are trying to make a profit on.

How do you know people didn't buy some beat up piece of crap item, fix it up, and then sell it for a profit. I don't see the problem with that. I know many people who go to thrift stores looking for "steals" I knew a guy who had a vast knowledge of books. He used to scope out the thrift stores to find the scores and then re-sell them. Same with a woman who new a lot about collectible plates. Another person I know has some knowledge about designer clothing labels. She'll find this clothing and sell it on Ebay(she won't do coats or other items that are more of a necessity for people). Most of the time it's to people overseas who don't have access to these clothes or people who don't have access to thrift stores like we do. Also, thrift stores are their to make money for their respective charities. It's not just there for people who can't afford things. If that was the case, then anyone who purchased something from a thrift store who could afford full price(new) items are a dick.

Same thing with your stove. Like you said, you could have sold it but you didn't. As soon as you put it on the curb it was fair game. If I found and old chair on the curb and refinished it and then sold it, am I a dick too? If someone buys the stove you put out and it turns out to be a piece of shit, well, that's their fault. It's Craigs list and buyer beware. If someone doesn't realize that, they shouldn't be buying on Craig's list.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:54 am

What Stebben said. They saved you the $35 city sticker and I'm pretty sure they won't get $100 for it. I have extensive craigslist experience and it has gotten harder to sell stuff at all, let alone for asking price, in the last couple years. I think the proliferation of scammers and actual robberies has cut down on the number of people using it. I used to always be able to sell a piece of furniture within a week or 2, but in the last year I haven't sold anything. Having an unwanted large appliance sitting around is a pain in the ass, be thankful it's gone.

Giving stuff away for free is the one thing that still works well on craigslist and yes, the first people to show up are either going to be re-sellers, scrappers or hoarders. I always list what it is and give the address and say it's sitting on the curb, first come first serve. Don't respond to any replies asking you to hold it. If you want a better chance of it going to someone who actually needs it, post the ad and then wait 2 hours to put it out. The hawks will have moved on to fresher prey.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 pm

I would be pissed too. Much like old flames, best not to look.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Don't be so hard on the scrappers. Late this afternoon I saw a couple of them, skinny thirtyish guys in a beater truck. They were rasseling my neighbor's dead dishwasher onto the back, which was already overflowing with bent bike frames, part of someone's iron porch railing, more old appliances, and some trashy patio furniture. It took them forever to get everything balanced so they could drive away, and I felt sorry for them -- it looked like they were hard up. If they got something that looked halfway useable and tried to put it on Craigslist before taking it to the scrap metal place, I wouldn't begrudge them the effort.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seashells » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 am

Re: freecycle. Galoot: I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with freecycle. I love it - I've given and received some great stuff via freecycle. There were some annoying no-shows, and more than a few suspected hoarders, but overall it's great.

Some of my scores: a beautiful bed, complete with head and foot boards (from a family clearing out their mother's home), like-new clip-in bike shoes, dvd player, kids' clothes, gardening supplies.

Some of my giveaways: a LOT of furniture like bookshelves and dressers (when I moved to a smaller home), microwave, toaster oven, bread machine. All of these things were in great condition, but were duplicates (or otherwise not worth moving) when I moved in with my husband. Also, kids clothes and baby supplies when we had outgrown them.

There is the same controversy on freecycle, over whether it's "fair game" to resell the stuff you get for free. When I post to give away, I mostly just want it out of my house. I don't care if someone sells it, although if its somethiing like kids' clothes, I guess I do prefer it to go someone who couldn't afford the clothes themselves.
seashells

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:24 am

Not quite Freecycle, but getting a pleasing item at a bargain price is part of the fun of thrift stores. My favorite scores: a beautiful antique 3/4-size bed (very old, handmade -- we think it was originally a rope bed - $40), and a spectacular middle-eastern natural wool rug ($4, I think) I took to Gulessarian's for cleaning. They appraised it around $700, which made me afraid to walk on it for years.

Expensive stuff makes me nervous, but when it's that affordable it's a nice surprise.

And I've given away dozens of good pieces over the years, including a pair of very cool walnut midcentury Danish-modern chairs I still miss. All fair.

What goes around comes around.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:25 am

You know there are far, far worse things that have happened to people who have posted or responded to ads on Craigslist. Like getting murdered.
So your boo-fuckin-hoo sob stove story is nothing.
Be grateful, very grateful, that is the worst that happened to you and that you are still alive.
Stop being a cry baby victim and just let it go, man.
Let. It. Go.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:18 am

Gonna take you a while to get past this election and move on, eh?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 am

KidCapitol wrote:You know there are far, far worse things that have happened to people who have posted or responded to ads on Craigslist. Like getting murdered.
So your boo-fuckin-hoo sob stove story is nothing.
Be grateful, very grateful, that is the worst that happened to you and that you are still alive.
Stop being a cry baby victim and just let it go, man.
Let. It. Go.

Are....you....are you retarded?

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:47 pm

I recently posted a couple items on Craigslist for the first time. So far I haven't gotten any inquiries. Is it a good idea to re-post a week later?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Yeah, I'd recommend it B. Usually the only responses I get to old ads are low-ballers and those people who ask if something's still available and then never get back to you.

And pictures.....gotta post pictures.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:45 pm

narcoleptish wrote:And pictures.....gotta post pictures.

Exactly. I did a little research as to value and sold two car and a bike (at different times). They all sold quickly, and at a fair prices. Pictures really helped.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All