MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Homeless warming shelter...Social Justice Center?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Homeless warming shelter...Social Justice Center?

Postby swimmingupstream » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 pm

I know for a fact that the Social Justice Center on Williamson Street has unused space. Will Brenda Konkel work to open her doors for the homeless?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Re: Homeless warming shelter...Social Justice Center?

Postby massimo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 pm

I work in a T. Wall Properties office building, it's about half empty right now. Tens of thousands of empty sq. ft. Will T. Wall work to open his doors for the homeless?

What doors are you working to open, swimmingupstream?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:38 pm

swimmingupstream is knock knock knocking on heaven's door while working on opening his own doors of perception.

Be patient. It's a full-time job for him.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Any word if Brenda Konkel is going to open up the Social Justice Center as a warming shelter? Perfect location.
Westsidegal

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Any word if Brenda Konkel is going to open up the Social Justice Center as a warming shelter? Perfect location.

Brenda, and the Occupy group she is involved with, is trying to get them housing, not shelter.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Any word if Brenda Konkel is going to open up the Social Justice Center as a warming shelter? Perfect location.

So if a person advocates for something, the idea is that person should then give their workplace and everything else over to that purpose? Is that how this works?

As soon as a person says something ought to be done, it automatically becomes that person's responsibility? Or is it more complicated than that?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Well if Brenda has the space, why not use it? She is critical of others for not stepping up, why doesn't she lead by example? I don't think that is an unfair expectation. Do you?
Westsidegal

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Well if Brenda has the space, why not use it? She is critical of others for not stepping up, why doesn't she lead by example? I don't think that is an unfair expectation. Do you?

The Social Justice Center is not "her space." She manages it for a variety of granting agencies. Do you understanding the difference?

As for her stepping up, she is deeply involved in the helping the homeless with their daily needs in addition to acting as their advocate with the city and the county. What are you doing? You are critical of her efforts, so why don't you lead by example? I don't think that is an unfair expectation. Do you?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Well if Brenda has the space, why not use it? She is critical of others for not stepping up, why doesn't she lead by example? I don't think that is an unfair expectation. Do you?

I think maybe there's more to this than your kind and selfless worries for the homeless and the extent of Brenda's example.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:59 pm

I find it interesting that Brenda can rip into others, including those who are providing services to the homeless like Porchlight, but if you even mildly question her it is considered out of bounds. I know Brenda needs to get herself back in front of the cameras, but what is she contributing to solving the problem?
Westsidegal

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Detritus wrote:The Social Justice Center is not "her space." She manages it for a variety of granting agencies. Do you understanding the difference?

Come on now. If Brenda wanted to open the Social Justice Center's doors to the homeless she could do so. It is disingenuous to claim otherwise.
Westsidegal

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Westsidegal wrote:I know Brenda needs to get herself back in front of the cameras, but what is she contributing to solving the problem?

As I said,
Detritus wrote:As for her stepping up, she is deeply involved in helping the homeless with their daily needs in addition to acting as their advocate with the city and the county. What are you doing? You are critical of her efforts, so why don't you lead by example? I don't think that is an unfair expectation. Do you?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Westsidegal wrote:If Brenda wanted to open the Social Justice Center's doors to the homeless she could do so.

Would she serve food? Would they sleep there? Are there zoning issues with this. Would the landlord allow this? Could they terminate her lease?

rabble wrote:I think maybe there's more to this than your kind and selfless worries for the homeless and the extent of Brenda's example.

Is it that obvious? And for what it's worth, I'm no cheerleader for Brenda, so I have no agenda here. I just think you do and your assertions have no merit.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Westsidegal wrote:
Detritus wrote:The Social Justice Center is not "her space." She manages it for a variety of granting agencies. Do you understanding the difference?

Come on now. If Brenda wanted to open the Social Justice Center's doors to the homeless she could do so. It is disingenuous to claim otherwise.

And you base this on what, exactly? Do you know the requirements of her grants and her donors? The basis on which she maintains the Center space? The legal, health, and safety requirements of operating a shelter, and the ability of that space to fulfill those requirements? I assume you do, and will provide them here--otherwise, your claim is disingenuous.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Detritus wrote:And you base this on what, exactly? Do you know the requirements of her grants and her donors? The basis on which she maintains the Center space? The legal, health, and safety requirements of operating a shelter, and the ability of that space to fulfill those requirements? I assume you do, and will provide them here--otherwise, your claim is disingenuous.

Let it be noted that Brenda Konkel does not let these niceties get in the way when attacking others involved in trying to solve this problem.
Westsidegal

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government