MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Baldwin Street Shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Meade wrote:

In both of those cases, the District Attorney's Office found Heimsness did not break any laws.http://host.madison.com/news/local/crim ... z2C8xOdyPU
No one knows what exactly happened, and we may never know. Hopefully more details will come out.

I certainly don't trust the word of a police officer who unnecessarily beat the hell out of someone and was suspended/disciplined for it. Doesn't mean he's lying, but it definitely means his attitude or judgement is impaired.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby The One » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 am

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:I disagree. I think we can question and possibly blame the authority when we are shown a clear history of violence. According to this article, there was blood on this officer's hands and boots (and more):

http://www.isthmus.com/isthmus/article.php?article=30200

Not even a reprimand!?!

...and RIP Paul.

So you're saying that because he beat somebody in an arrest and shot the tires of a car, he was unjustified in shooting Paul?

I will agree that this cop has issues and I would feel better if he was off the force or put on a desk, but I'm not going to say he commuted murder because of past actions.
The One
Senior Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:43 pm

http://www.isthmus.com/isthmus/article.php?article=30200
the article states the officer shot the tires out of a car in a Parking Garage - where bullets can ricochet around. And in the 2006 incident, a "Witness called 911 to report that Madison police stomped, beat and 'almost killed' a suspect in bar assault."

"The police almost killed this guy," Parker told 911 dispatch, according to the recording obtained by Isthmus. "And I don't think he deserved this. They were kicking him in the head and stomping on his face and bending his neck over to the side, and he's out (unconscious) now and there's blood everywhere and it's very Rodney King-esque."

That's our officer Stephen H., just applying his brutal brand of justice. Why would anyone kick someone who is subdued repeatedly in the head? Are cops trained to do that here? We know the ones in LA are...

So, no, I'm not saying he murdered someone in front of their house--that is for the court to decide. I am saying if our checks and balances were better within the police force, this very tragic thing may not have happened. Desk job for Stephen? For sure. Banned from the force? That also would have likely saved Paul's life.

Paul's family asks those who want to honor his life to donate to the Oregon High School Orchestra c/o Friends of the Orchestra. president@oregonfoto.org
Oregon High School
456 N. Perry Parkway
Oregon, WI 53575
Principal: Kelly Meyers
608-835-4300
fax 608-835-7894
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:35 am
Location: right behind you

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Meade » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:Desk job for Stephen? For sure.

Due process for the officer? Not in Zombeatles world.

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:Banned from the force? That also would have likely saved Paul's life.

Here's something that would have saved Paul's life: neighbors who don't leave their front doors unlocked at 2am and then expect the police to put their own lives at risk when that homeowner calls 911.

Here is something you can do to save your own life: don't consume alcohol to the point of dementia and psychosis.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby The One » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:http://www.isthmus.com/isthmus/article.php?article=30200
the article states the officer shot the tires out of a car in a Parking Garage - where bullets can ricochet around.

Do you think a police officer has time to calculate the possibility of bullets ricocheting when a car is about to run them over?

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:Why would anyone kick someone who is subdued repeatedly in the head? Are cops trained to do that here?

Him beating a subdue person is wrong, you will have no argument from me. Have you ever been in a fight or has to take somebody down who is resiting? It can let your emotions take over and while it was wrong, it is also understandable.

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:We know the ones in LA are...

That statement alone shows how much resentment you have for cops. Because of a couple of asshole cops beat the crap out of King 21 YEARS AGO, you think the entire LA police department is only interested in beating people.
The One
Senior Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Sorry - I meant Oakland cops. Gotta stay current.

The bottom line is a gentle soul was killed by a non-gentle soul, who got paid to do it, in the town I grew up in.

End of sad story.
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:35 am
Location: right behind you

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby The One » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:Sorry - I meant Oakland cops. Gotta stay current.

The bottom line is a gentle soul was killed by a non-gentle soul, who got paid to do it, in the town I grew up in.

End of sad story.

The gentle soul consumed too many ungentle spirits and tried to grab the non-gentle soul's gun and lost. That will happen in any town.
The One
Senior Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby peripat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Got the video of that, do you?
peripat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:59 am

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:29 am

In reference to the Bill Lueders article: that was a clear trash piece. It's a one-sided editorial that has been used as fact by local news outlets since this tragedy occurred.

I pulled up the police incident report for this case when the Lueders piece came out (unfortunately I can't find it anymore, so I'm going off memory...if somebody else knows how to find it I'd appreciate it). The man who was arrested had a record of violence combined with alcohol. And keep in mind that the cops didn't simply storm in and start beating on a guy at the bar, they were called in because he was drunk and hit somebody on the head with a pint glass, then he resisted arrest. He was inebriated, violent and dangerous.

Lueders glossed over this side of the story:
But Tyler Kneubuehl, an employee of State Street Brats who was present that night, feels the cops used appropriate force. "He was refusing to go," Kneubuehl says of Bauer. "He was putting up a fight."


Note that both Lueders and Olson (Bauer's attorney) did not even contact the "victim" for his side, because nobody knows where he is:
Bauer was charged with substantial battery, bail jumping and resisting or obstructing an officer. He pleaded no contest to the battery and bail-jumping charges, both felonies, and was sentenced to five years of probation; the resisting charge was dismissed. Olson does not know Bauer's current whereabouts.


Also please note the original incident occurred in 2006. The entire thing was settled in Jan. 2009. Lueders' polarizing piece came out in August of 2010......and from what I can gather online, his book came out in September of 2010.

Take all of that as you will. I take it as Lueders victimizing a criminal, which he has done repeatedly in his writing. That article alone got 18 comments on the Isthmus website (much higher than average) and in doing so he ramped up some publicity for his book.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3266
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:48 pm
Location: Rock'n'roll crazy nights

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Meade » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:00 am

Kyle Motor wrote:Also please note the original incident occurred in 2006. The entire thing was settled in Jan. 2009. Lueders' polarizing piece came out in August of 2010......and from what I can gather online, his book came out in September of 2010.


The police report on the Jacob Bauer incident appears to be missing. Bauer'sattorney's demand letter is dated May 16, 2008.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Maggie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:42 pm

SombreroFallout wrote:Let me state categorically that Steve Heimsness is even more of an asset to this community as a Law Enforcement Officer and as a fellow human now than he was before this happened.


Kyle Motor wrote:In reference to the Bill Lueders article: that was a clear trash piece. It's a one-sided editorial that has been used as fact by local news outlets since this tragedy occurred...


Maggie wrote:It is time for us to come together as a community to mourn and heal. There will be plenty of time to accuse and condemn later.


I should have added to my post that this is also not the time to be defending or praising Officer Heimsness nor is it the time for Officer Heimsness' wife, Mrs. Walter, to be thanking forons for defending and rationalizing the brutal killing of Paul Heenan.

The sentimentalization of Officer Heimsness is very painful for those of us who are sickened by this killing, who are sickened by this brutal shoot to kill policy, and are sickened by those who, simply because Officer Heimsness supported their rock bands and seemed like a "cool" guy, now criticize those of us who want to see justice for Paul Heenan and demand that at the very least Officer Heimsness be given a desk job. There are many of us in this neighborhood who are scared. Not scared of criminals. We are scared of Officer Heimsness. And I am not exaggerating.

To Kyle Motor - In America no criminal suspect deserves to be beaten the way Officer Heimsness beat, brutalized and humiliated Jacob Bauer. I don't care how horrible a person somebody is. We don't do this in America. You should be ashamed of yourself. I hope you reflect on what you wrote and offer an apology to those of us whom you have offended by your harsh comments.

I am personally ready to forgive Officer Heimsness but not until he admits to the community that what he did that night was wrong, that he regrets his mistakes, and begs for our forgiveness. When he does that I am ready to open my heart to this man and forgive him. Anything short of that and he will not have my respect or forgiveness.
Maggie
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: Near East Side Madison

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Toonces » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Meade wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:Also please note the original incident occurred in 2006. The entire thing was settled in Jan. 2009. Lueders' polarizing piece came out in August of 2010......and from what I can gather online, his book came out in September of 2010.


The police report on the Jacob Bauer incident appears to be missing. Bauer'sattorney's demand letter is dated May 16, 2008.


And the rest of his violent criminal offenses and drunk driving convictions are dated before the incident on 12/29/2006. He already had two resisting/obstructing convictions as well as battery and disorderly convictions.
Toonces
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: Behind The Wheel

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Maggie wrote:... nor is it the time for Officer Heimsness' wife, Mrs. Walter, to be thanking forons for defending and rationalizing the brutal killing of Paul Heenan.
She did no such thing, as her one and only post makes plain.

Everyone understands that you're hurting and you're angry, but there's absolutely no reason to drag Mrs.Walter's name through the mud.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Maggie wrote:There are many of us in this neighborhood who are scared. Not scared of criminals. We are scared of Officer Heimsness.


Well, if you don't get so shit canned you walk into the wrong house, struggle with the homeowner, not obey an officers commands, run after him, and then reach for his gun, you should be pretty safe.

Just curious. Were you scared of him before this?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4754
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Baldwin Street Shooting

Postby Maggie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Maggie wrote:... nor is it the time for Officer Heimsness' wife, Mrs. Walter, to be thanking forons for defending and rationalizing the brutal killing of Paul Heenan.
She did no such thing, as her one and only post makes plain.

Everyone understands that you're hurting and you're angry, but there's absolutely no reason to drag Mrs.Walter's name through the mud.


Mrs.Walter wrote:
snoqueen wrote: .... to all those who have written from the heart.

...I thank you.


As you can see Prof. Wagstaff, Mrs. Walter posted "I thank you" So you are clearly wrong because just as I had written she was thanking those who were defending her husbands actions. I hardly think what I wrote is dragging her name through the mud and I have no desire to bring any more pain to this poor woman.
Maggie
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: Near East Side Madison

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PaleoLiberal and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar