MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

3 people to meet in the next month

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

3 people to meet in the next month

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 am

If Dec 21st were actually going to be the end, what 3 people, one in each of the following categories, would you want to meet before then? For the sake of possibility we're going to stick with living people.

Categories:

Intellectual. Someone you'd just like to sit down and talk to, maybe have drinks/dinner, for a few hours.

Physical (for lack of a better term). Someone you'd like to do an activity with, for instance: Golf a round with ? or get a guitar lesson from ? or act on stage with ? ....etc.

Thank or punch. One person you'd like to either thank for something great that they have done, or punch in the nose for something else, no explanation needed.

I'm still working on my own list.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 3 people to meet in the next month

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:23 am

Okay, I'll go first.

Intellectual: News anchor Brian Williams.

Physical: Strap on the gloves and do a nice easy round with Muhammad Ali.

Punch: I was leaning toward notorious wildlife smuggler Anson Wong, but I think for pure visual hair-flopping entertainment value, I gotta go with Donald Trump.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am

narcoleptish wrote:Physical: Strap on the gloves and do a nice easy round with Muhammad Ali.

You want to box a dude with Parkinson's?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am

Fair question. By "nice easy round" I meant basically to get in there and do whatever, even just stand or hold him up, for a round or however long he can do it. Just to say I was in the ring, literally, with him. I'm a fan.

This doesn't have to be completely realistic..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 am

narcoleptish wrote:Just to say I was in the ring, literally, with him. I'm a fan.

Just like the Beatles.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 am

narcoleptish wrote:Fair question. By "nice easy round" I meant basically to get in there and do whatever, even just stand or hold him up, for a round or however long he can do it. Just to say I was in the ring, literally, with him. I'm a fan.

This doesn't have to be completely realistic..

Would you punch him, thus filling two categories at once?
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 pm

In order:

I'd punch Paul Ryan

Go mountain biking with Ned "The Lung" Overend

Eat (Cajun/Creole of course) with James Carville
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby kurt_w » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Or narco could meet him for dinner at a nice restaurant, have an intellectual discussion, and then punch him out over dessert, thus filling all three categories...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Physical (for lack of a better term). Someone you'd like to do an activity with, for instance: Golf a round with ? or get a guitar lesson from ? or act on stage with ? ....etc.

I'd like to have Bill Koch (this guy, not any of the numerous other Bill Kochs) spend an hour helping me improve my skate style.

narcoleptish wrote:Thank or punch. One person you'd like to either thank for something great that they have done, or punch in the nose for something else, no explanation needed.

That's kind of a tricky one. I'm not really the punching type. There are some guys who shaped the field I work in whom I'd like to thank, but they're all kind of obscure as far as the general public is concerned.

Maybe the single living person we all owe the most thanks to is Mikhail Gorbachev, for peacefully ending the USSR ... something that seemed totally and utterly unthinkable to those of us who grew up before then. His post 1991 career has been a bit uneven, but has anyone else in living memory done anything that important?

Other possibilities of people to thank ... maybe Tim Berners-Lee? If Rachel Carson were alive, I'd thank her.

I suppose in honor of Huckleby I could punch V.S. Naipaul.

narcoleptish wrote:Intellectual. Someone you'd just like to sit down and talk to, maybe have drinks/dinner, for a few hours.

Ms. Kurt.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:03 pm

kurt_w wrote:Or narco could meet him for dinner at a nice restaurant, have an intellectual discussion, and then punch him out over dessert, thus filling all three categories...

Wait a sec., were you at my last Thanksgiving gathering?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Just to say I was in the ring, literally, with him. I'm a fan.

Just like the Beatles.
I remember reading about that. After the photo shoot, Ali overheard the Beatles talking about how much money they were about to make touring America. "You're not as dumb as you look!" he quipped. Lennon, ever the smart ass, "No, but you are." Ali tensed up, then perhaps realizing he couldn't get pissed off, started laughing.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All