MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Moving the occupiers....again

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Moving the occupiers....again

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:56 am

I just drove past sanitarium hill and the sheriffs dept. was out in force moving the tent people out of the park. There were cops spread out on the hill, standing single or in pairs, 50 yards apart. There was a convoy of county parks trucks pulling in as we passed, possibly to haul stuff out?

When we drove past again, an hour later, I counted 19 cops still spread out on the hill. (I was not driving) I'm sure I missed a few. That seems a little excessive to me, unless there has been some threat of violence that I'm unaware of.

I wonder where we'll be moving them out of next week?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Moving the occupiers....again

Postby Detritus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:12 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I just drove past sanitarium hill and the sheriffs dept. was out in force moving the tent people out of the park. There were cops spread out on the hill, standing single or in pairs, 50 yards apart. There was a convoy of county parks trucks pulling in as we passed, possibly to haul stuff out?

When we drove past again, an hour later, I counted 19 cops still spread out on the hill. (I was not driving) I'm sure I missed a few. That seems a little excessive to me, unless there has been some threat of violence that I'm unaware of.

I wonder where we'll be moving them out of next week?

I believe they're sending them out to Token Creek. I guess global warming has denied the city the ice floes it so desperately wanted.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 pm

We really need to round up the people in the tent city with a massive police presence? I just don't even know what to say, other that I'm very ashamed my tax dollars are being spent in that fashion.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:50 pm

minicat wrote:We really need to round up the people in the tent city with a massive police presence? I just don't even know what to say, other that I'm very ashamed my tax dollars are being spent in that fashion.

I have a feeling that this is a no-win situation for authorities. It is impossible to meet the demands of a group of people with poorly defined (or contrary) goals, membership, or leadership.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Igor wrote:
minicat wrote:We really need to round up the people in the tent city with a massive police presence? I just don't even know what to say, other that I'm very ashamed my tax dollars are being spent in that fashion.

I have a feeling that this is a no-win situation for authorities. It is impossible to meet the demands of a group of people with poorly defined (or contrary) goals, membership, or leadership.

It's a no-win situation for everybody. Homelessness is a national problem that defies local solutions. The way Soglin frames the issue comes off as kind of heartless. However, what do we think would happen if Madison were somehow to "solve" its homeless problem? I believe we would be rewarded by the arrival of more of the homeless as soon as the word gets out. One city, or one county, can't solve this problem on its own. Sure would be helpful if there were some national leadership.....but that's crazy talk isn't it?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 am

gargantua wrote: Sure would be helpful if there were some national leadership.....but that's crazy talk isn't it?

Is it? I reckon I will continue to walk the earth with, then take a pragmatic sense of optimism/idealism to my grave. The opposite is too searing to contemplate.

Here is a very old narrative that seems have been beaten out of our collective conscience...

Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno (One for all, all for one).

Make of this what you will.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe