MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Santorum’s new cause: opposing the disabled

President-unelect Rick Santorum made his triumphant return to the Capitol on Monday afternoon and took up a brave new cause: He is opposing disabled people.

Specifically, Santorum, joined by Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), declared his wish that the Senate reject the U.N. Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities — a human rights treaty negotiated during George W. Bush’s administration and ratified by 126 nations, including China, Russia, Iran, Cuba, Syria and Saudi Arabia

The former presidential candidate pronounced his “grave concerns” about the treaty, which forbids discrimination against people with AIDS, who are blind, who use wheelchairs and the like. “This is a direct assault on us,” he declared at a news conference.

Lee, a tea party favorite, said he, too, has “grave concerns” about the document’s threat to American sovereignty. “I will do everything I can to block its ratification, and I have secured the signatures of 36 Republican senators, all of whom have joined with me saying that we will oppose any ratification of any treaty during this lame-duck session.”

Santorum, an observant Catholic, seems to care much more about the preborn than living, breathing human beings.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 pm

Henry V's cause: opposing the sovereignty of the United States in favor of U.N. domination.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm

The treaty requires virtually nothing of the United States. It essentially directs the other signatories to update their laws so that they more closely match the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Their concerns, rather, came from the dark world of U.N. conspiracy theories. The opponents argue that the treaty, like most everything the United Nations does, undermines American sovereignty — in this case via a plot to keep Americans from home-schooling their children and making other decisions about their well-being.

The treaty does no such thing; if it had such sinister aims, it surely wouldn’t have the support of disabilities and veterans groups, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Republican senators such as John McCain (Ariz.) and John Barrasso (Wyo.), and conservative legal minds such as Boyden Gray and Dick Thornburgh.

Rick Santorum: Continuing to earn his redefined last name.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:18 pm

UN treaties threaten the purity of our precious bodily fluids.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Talon Newsman wrote:UN treaties threaten the purity of our precious bodily fluids.

I think you mean the sovereignty of our precious bodily fluids.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 pm

That reminds me: how's UNSCOM doing? Still keeping us safe from rogue dictators getting hold of nuclear weapons? I remember Operation Desert Fox when President Clinton had to attack Iraq with bombs because "Iraq's policy of unremitting defiance and non-compliance necessitated the resort to military force".

Thank goodness for the UN that time, huh?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Why does Meade feel threatened by the differently abled? Do they really scare you? Or are you just a fucking pussy?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kimberly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Meade seems to have some deep seated fear of the UN. Has he been reading too much Alex Jones? :roll:
Kimberly

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

At least Santorum didn't bring up United Nations black helicopters in his rant about sovereignty and the treaty concerning the disabled. I wonder if he thinks all the other treaties the U.S. has ratified in the last 200 plus years also threaten American sovereignty.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm

They put this guy on the Science and Technology committee;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/0 ... 37394.html
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:28 pm

That guy is an absolute idiot. A freak. You could pull any random person off the street and they would be better qualified to serve on the House Science Committee than Rep. Paul Broun. If I lived in his district I'd quit my job and move rather than be represented by that deranged moron.

If the Republicans do in fact put him back on the House Science Committee, they're even bigger clowns than I think they are. Which would be hard to imagine, since my opinion of them is already pretty low.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:46 pm

It's just icing on the cake to note that Rep. Broun was a sponsor of the (failed) Federal Marriage Amendment in 2008 ... and he's apparently so fond of marriage that he gets married over and over and over again.

The guy has been married four times at last count. I wouldn't have thought there were four women in the world sufficiently lacking in self-esteem to marry that pompous, ignorant, hypocritical, obnoxious buffoon.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

kurt_w wrote:It's just icing on the cake to note that Rep. Broun was a sponsor of the (failed) Federal Marriage Amendment in 2008 ... and he's apparently so fond of marriage that he gets married over and over and over again.

The guy has been married four times at last count. I wouldn't have thought there were four women in the world sufficiently lacking in self-esteem to marry that pompous, ignorant, hypocritical, obnoxious buffoon.

Maybe he's like Elizabeth Taylor, who loved weddings but was less interested in the marriages that followed.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Apparently he's interested enough to want to run other people's marriages....
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:41 pm

kurt_w wrote:If the Republicans do in fact put him back on the House Science Committee, they're even bigger clowns than I think they are. Which would be hard to imagine, since my opinion of them is already pretty low.

This makes the House seem like a complete joke. It's one thing for these dipshits to get elected, but for the leaders to give them chair positions on these subjects is asinine. And people wonder why Obama and these fuck wads can't find compromise.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government