MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 pm

And this guy ran for president:

Santorum warned that a United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities treaty adopted in 2006 “has much darker and more troubling implications” than to simply improve the treatment of disabled people in other countries...

“In the case of our 4-year-old daughter, Bella, who has Trisomy 18, a condition that the medical literature says is ‘incompatible with life,’ would her ‘best interest’ be that she be allowed to die?” he asked.

“Some would undoubtedly say so.”

Santorum begins employment at WND by suggesting UN conspiracy to kill his daughter

At least he's not in the Senate anymore, but the fact that he was a Senator makes me puke in my mouth.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Wow big day for Big Ignorance. 49% of Republicans believe ACORN stole the 2012 election for Obama.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/0 ... 39298.html
ACORN no longer exists.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:59 pm

The GOP blames the failure to enact a Voter ID amendment to the Minnesota Constitution on, (drum roll please)... voter fraud.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Can we stop referring to it as "the bubble"? Clearly it's more impenetrable than that. How about "Iron Dome"?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Senate GOP kills disabilities treaty

Holy shit!

38 Republican nutjobs in the Senate killed the George H.W. Bush-negotiated treaty that literally required NOTHING further to be done in our country-- just to bring international standards up to OUR level.

This country is sooo very. deeply. fucked.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:44 pm

If it wasn't illegal, I'd advocate lining them all up and.......
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 pm

david cohen wrote:If it wasn't illegal, I'd advocate lining them all up and.......

Let's keep in mind that this is the end result of literally decades worth of propaganda aimed at convincing people to vote against their own interests. Rather than blame the victims let's examine how it happened and work to correct it.

The Fairness Doctrine, failure to support labor unions, the downward spiral down the "free trade" sinkhole, Citizens United and money in politics, deregulation and the failure to enforce anti-trust laws. Our economy isn't staggering because of over-taxation, it's staggering due to 30 years of "trickle up" economics. It's ironic that some Republicans complain about the "47 percent" of Americans who pay no federal income taxes when it is through Republican policies that we have created a legion of impoverished Americans.

On top of addressing all of those issues, I think minimum wage needs to be raised to the poverty level for a family of four and that figure should be automatically adjusted every single year. That means minimum wage should pay a single wage earner working 40 hour/week about $22,000/year or about $10.50/hour and it should rise without any political interference as the cost of living rises. So maybe on January 1st it would automatically rise to $10.75/hour. Afraid that will lead to inflation? That's fine, the minimum wage will simply raise more next year. If McDonald's can't offer a dollar menu while paying their employees a living wage, then perhaps we don't need dollar menus. People shouldn't have to work three jobs just to survive.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:53 pm

PJ,
Ditt..., err, I agree with what you have said. The thing is that it seems that the bourgeois of the grand old party have decided it is a messaging problem, nice.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/blogs/in ... ig-guns-04

p.s.- on a happy note I had to do some spell checking and found a word I had heard my Polish immigrant grandmother "mutter" over and over when us kids where causing trouble... "bushwa", although it came out like boorsha.
http://www.google.com/search?q=bushwa&i ... ent=safari
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:59 am

david cohen, that's not funny and not appropriate.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:46 pm

When they finally write up "Jan Brewer's Greatest Hits", they'll have to include the time she actually hit a reporter:
After the press gaggle, Brewer walked away, then spun on her heels and with a closed fist, whacked Welch, saying, “Where in the hell’d that come from,” referring to his question.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/ ... ck_check=1

She's just like Kowalski
"Don't ask me about my climate change!"
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Kurt w...ymmv.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:22 pm

The only way I can rationalize this is that it is retribution for Chris Christie telling the truth, and even that doesn't quite do it, but David Koch and Americans for Prosperity are attempting to coerce Congress to scuttle aid for Hurricane Sandy victims. Next up, limiting visitors to nursing homes and video games in children's hospitals.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:24 am

acereraser wrote:The only way I can rationalize this is that it is retribution for Chris Christie telling the truth, and even that doesn't quite do it, but...

Actually, I think it's closer to a rematch of the Civil War. There's certainly a racial component to it, but mostly it's an anti-Federalist, pro-States' rights argument. Alabama is happy to get federal dollars for hurricane cleanup... in Alabama. Hurricane cleanup in New York, however, is the responsibility of New Yorkers.

I'm getting to the point where I think that allowing the Teapers a bit of rope isn't such a bad idea. They seem intent to hang themselves, and I've really lost interest in stopping them.

To correct the problem they should raise everyone's federal taxes by 2% and give you a rebate at the end of the year based upon the federal dollars that your State spends. Perhaps that would let people know where the money is going when they pay their taxes. Minnesota residents get a $1200 rebate, Alabama residents get a nickel.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Didn't really want to start a new thread, so here is our buddy Glenn Grothman suggesting planned parenthood targets Asians.

Pay attention to the word rayshisht.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lvdr1yOPko

I'm dumbfounded and embarrassed that people vote for him.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Didn't really want to start a new thread, so here is our buddy Glenn Grothman suggesting planned parenthood targets Asians.

Pay attention to the word rayshisht.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lvdr1yOPko

I'm dumbfounded and embarrassed that people vote for him.

I love the insinuation that making low cost medical/reproductive care easily available in lower income neighborhoods is rayshisht.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government