MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Job Opening: Experience Required?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Job Opening: Experience Required?

Postby talagaster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 am

From Mid-West Family Broadcasting, your home for the SPORTSIEST SPORTS radio in SPORTS, here is some great position description copy. http://www.wi-broadcasters.org/wba/index.php/careers/radio-jobs/radio-production/

MORNING PRODUCER
Position Description and Responsibilities: Are you looking for a fun JOB? Forget an office job, try RADIO! Today’s Q106 is looking for a true country fan to be the Phone Producer on The Candy + Potter Morning Show. NO RADIO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY. Seriously. Are you smart, dependable, and outgoing? Does your life sound like a country song? Do you consider camouflage a color pallet? Yeah, you should give us a call. Vacancy Type: Full Time. Salary: $10.00 per hour.
Qualifications and How to Apply: Radio experience required.

Job qualifications shouldn't be multiple choice.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Re: Job Opening: Experience Required?

Postby Detritus » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:55 am

Ability to spell "palette" will hurt your employment prospects, apparently.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 am

A camouflage pallet would be awesome! It would look like all of the goods in your warehouse are floating several inches in the air. It would be tough on forklift drivers.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 am

What, exactly, does a Phone Producer do? Wave a hanky over one hand, mumble the magic words, and voilà-- it's a sexy little Cisco 7900-Series VoIP number with headset included?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 pm

$10/hour.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:47 pm

ilikebeans wrote:it's a sexy little Cisco 7900-Series VoIP number with headset included?

No.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:$10/hour.

Hey, it's technically above the official poverty level as long as you have fewer than three people in your family. I think.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 pm

ilikebeans wrote:What, exactly, does a Phone Producer do? Wave a hanky over one hand, mumble the magic words, and voilà-- it's a sexy little Cisco 7900-Series VoIP number with headset included?

I am going to exercise my ignorance and guess that the phone producer is the guy who answers the phone during call-in shows, queuing them up for the host, and being prepared at all times to screen out or cut off callers who stray too far from the show's ideological basis.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:10 pm

kurt_w wrote:

Hey, it's technically above the official poverty level as long as you have fewer than three people in your family. I think.

I also saw that radio experience is required. Who the fuck with experience is gonna work for that crap pay. No wonder our radio stations in this town suck monkey balls.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Except that, apparently, experience is both required and not required.

They want to hire someone who's "smart" and "dependable", and the wording of the job opening announcement does appear to suggest that they're a bit short in those departments....
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I also saw that radio experience is required. Who the fuck with experience is gonna work for that crap pay. No wonder our radio stations in this town suck monkey balls.

Terrestrial commercial radio is (thankfully) dying off. They likely have a shitty budget for a reason.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 pm

kurt_w wrote:Except that, apparently, experience is both required and not required.

Schrodinger's resume.

But it comes with perks like: waking up at 4 AM every day! No one will have access to fresher donuts than you! However, you can only afford the day-old ones.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:51 pm

That's actually pretty standard pay for radio, at least in WI. (It's slightly low for major market non "prime" talent, but only slightly.)

While we're talking about radio, I've been listening to local radio again lately a bit while driving to work and I really don't understand why there is so much sports talk radio - how much can possibly be discussed here?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:14 pm

rrnate wrote:That's actually pretty standard pay for radio, at least in WI. (It's slightly low for major market non "prime" talent, but only slightly.)

While we're talking about radio, I've been listening to local radio again lately a bit while driving to work and I really don't understand why there is so much sports talk radio - how much can possibly be discussed here?

Entry level radio jobs in local radio have always paid poorly. I worked at a college station back in the early 1970s, thinking maybe a job in radio news would be a great career. I got talked out of it quickly by people already in radio news. It's always been a low paying career.

Not only news was the pits: DJing in the 1960s was low paying, unless you worked in a big city. I had a couple of high school friends doing late night shifts at our local station. They would have done it for free, but got a little above minimum wage, which at the time was $1.60. That works out to $7.21 today.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Detritus wrote: ... and being prepared at all times to screen out or cut off callers who stray too far from the show's ideological basis.

Wait ... can morning zoo inhabitants completely bereft of intellect even have an ideology?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All