MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

RwP: Mayor Dave bitter towards Sly/New Glarus in WH/Moore/RJ

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

RwP: Mayor Dave bitter towards Sly/New Glarus in WH/Moore/RJ

Postby Schabow » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm

So this week I went after former Mayor Dave's article that was posted on this very website. Honestly, I thought he was being a bit hypocritical and bitter towards Sly in the Morning.
This week on “Rants without Pants”, I discuss Gwen Moore and Ron Johnson’s take on the economy, the fiscal cliff and the Grover Norquist pledge, New Glarus owner’s invitation to the White House and Mayor Dave’s bitter article regarding Sly in the Morning.

On Blogging Blue:
http://bloggingblue.com/2012/12/05/rwp- ... the-cliff/

From my blog Shabhead:
http://www.shabhead.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... s-sly.html

Straight from YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTa4O9Y6G-E

00:00 5:40 – WI Rep. Gwen Moore on the Fiscal Cliff (including updated Shabhead News Alert)
5:40 – 7:29 Republican Senators willing to violate the Grover Norquist Pledge and where WI Senator Ron Johnson stand on this issue.
7:29 –8:17 New Glarus Owner Deb Carey was invited to the White House for a meeting regarding owning a small business.
8:17 – End Former Mayor Dave’s bitter and hypocritical article towards Sly in the Morning.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RwP: Mayor Dave bitter towards Sly/New Glarus in WH/Moor

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 pm

It is so funny that leftys like Schabow have now anointed Sly as their spokesperson and cause célèbre. I guess there is no cop killer available right now in Madison.

A few years back Sly said that former uber progressive alder and bicycle advocate Robbie Webber should be raped. He said on his program that Robbie Webber was "uptight" and "needed to get laid by someone like Kobe Bryant over a chair." Bryant is the NBA player who was accused of sexual assault in 2003.

Can you imagine if some conservative radio jock like Rush Limbaugh said sure a vile thing about Michelle Obama? But I guess what is a good rape joke among progressive friends?

Plus, I am sure Schabow wants to get right in there with his crooked little wee-wee. He is a musician want-a-be, right? Can never turn down a good gang bang I guess.
Last edited by swimmingupstream on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Vigor
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 am

swimmingupstream wrote:http://host.madison.com/news/local/article_4d16124b-fcd5-575d-b766-fae0c717d3f5.html

Well, I'll match your madison.com link:
http://host.madison.com/news/opinion/co ... z2DOvZSmXT

And raise you one:
http://host.madison.com/news/local/chri ... z2DwVqi9IN

But wherever you stand, I do not expect THIS attack on OUR lines of communication should sit well with you:
http://act.freepress.net/sign/murdoch_p ... rce=FPblog
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 am

Mad Howler wrote:But wherever you stand, I do not expect THIS attack on OUR lines of communication should sit well with you:
http://act.freepress.net/sign/murdoch_p ... rce=FPblog

As has been pointed out in other threads, the likelihood of an area getting cut off from the internet is directly related to the number of service providers. The fewer providers there are, the easier it is to turn off the internet.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:It is so funny that leftys like Schabow have now anointed Sly as their spokesperson and cause célèbre.

What do you mean "now"? I've been listening to the guy faithfully for over 7 years.

swimmingupstream wrote:I guess there is no cop killer available right now in Madison.

Wow...just wow...you're a dick.

swimmingupstream wrote:A few years back Sly said that former uber progressive alder and bicycle advocate Robbie Webber should be raped. He said on his program that Robbie Webber was "uptight" and "needed to get laid by someone like Kobe Bryant over a chair." Bryant is the NBA player who was accused of sexual assault in 2003.

Can you imagine if some conservative radio jock like Rush Limbaugh said sure a vile thing about Michelle Obama? But I guess what is a good rape joke among progressive friends?

Yeah, that's awful. I'd, of course, like to hear this in context, but yes, not good. But I'm not gonna defend every thing he has ever said. That wasn't the point of the video.
swimmingupstream wrote:Plus, I am sure Schabow wants to get right in there with his crooked little wee-wee. He is a musician want-a-be, right? Can never turn down a good gang bang I guess.

Stay classy Swimmingupstream!

Stay classy
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Schabow wrote:
swimmingupstream wrote:I guess there is no cop killer available right now in Madison.

Wow...just wow...you're a dick.

Why? Are you personal friends with Mumia?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Schabow wrote:you're a dick.

That's borrowing from Sly's playbook!

"Mayor Man-gina" is what Sly called Cieslewicz, if memory serves. It stands out because Sly typically reserved his least savory criticism for women, as we see above.

I was right in the wheelhouse for being a "faithful" listener like you, Schabow. But I found it hard to take all the shrill invective, the stupid name calling and the severe misogyny. So instead I listened to music or interesting people who almost universally produce podcasts these days, not radio shows.

Sly was a bully on the radio, just like many of his peers found elsewhere on the commercial dial. And few could manufacture outrage as quickly as he could to get the phones to light up from his handful of regular callers. I guess if you're an easily pissed off white dude with not much responsibility during the day, you either called his show, McKenna's show, a sports talk show or all three. That's fascinating radio, huh?

I wish only that Dave had gotten his licks in on Sly a lot sooner and was joined by more people around here. I'd like to think that smart, interesting, productive and effective people in this town don't like it when people get mean, nasty and profane in pursuit of either a political agenda or higher ratings. Maybe it's easier to just turn the dial, which is what I've done.
Last edited by jjoyce on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:
swimmingupstream wrote:you're a dick.

Maybe it's easier to just turn the dial, which is what I've done.

You've also just misquoted swimmingupstream. Reread carefully. That was Shabow's invective.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:00 pm

jjoyce wrote:
swimmingupstream wrote:you're a dick.

That's borrowing from Sly's playbook!

I'm sorry Joyce, but calling "swimmingupstream" a dick based on what I was replying to, felt (and still feels) justified.

I get where you are coming from regarding some of Sly's antics, but remember that he was calling Brett Hulsey out on the weird beach incident as well as Walker's Aide Tim Russell's boyfriend, Brian Piereck for being a pedophile, which I believe he got arrested for. I feel he goes after both gender's equally. That is based only on what I have heard with my own 2 ears, in context.

I will say this as well...to generalize his callers as "easily pissed off white dudes" isn't a fair description. I have never called his show, but he has extremely smart, intelligent and pretty level headed callers...unlike Mckenna and Sykes. (I listen to Sykes and Wagner all the time).

With all that being said, I do get your point. I guess I'm just OK with a little incvility and a little crudeness if it's to make a bigger point and that there is a sense of light-heartedness about it.

My point in the video was not to defend Sly, but instead highlight the hypocricy in "Citizen Dave's" most recent article. I, in general, like Mayor Dave, but I'm sorry, he can be pretty uncivil and mean-spirited in his articles as well...it's just disguised better.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Schabow wrote:With all that being said, I do get your point. I guess I'm just OK with a little incvility and a little crudeness if it's to make a bigger point and that there is a sense of light-heartedness about it.

Totally disagree - lefty as I am, I think Sly often came across like a jerk and I won't miss him in the air.

A quick sample of his merry morning antics:
--
""SLY" SYLVESTER: How amateurish is it to have Rebecca Kleefisch, who, I don't know, she has some like little panty business in her basement or something, I don't know. She's hardly a, she's hardly an entrepreneur. You know what? You know how amateurish that is? Cold-calling?

(Using high-pitched voice, speaking as Kleefisch)

'Would you like to move to Wisconsin? Would you like to move CouponCabin to Wisconsin? I'm Rebecca Kleefisch. I performed fellatio on all the talk show hosts in Milwaukee. And they endorsed me and that's how I became lieutenant governor. And then I got colon cancer and I ran around the state to help people. Even though I have government health care, screw everyone else.'

---

Definitely think that it sucks that Sly and his co-workers got dumped like they did, but serving up jerkface-isms like this just makes things worse for everybody.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:35 pm

That's it...YOU'RE OUT OF THE BAND!
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Schabow wrote:That's it...YOU'RE OUT OF THE BAND!

Maybe Sly could take my place? He presumably has time right now, though I'm willing to go out on a limb and say he's more argumentative than I am.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:56 pm

I think the last time I ever paused the dial on Sly's show ('cause that's all I ever did was pause) he was ranting about this new car called the Mini Cooper and bemoaning the fact that small fuel efficient cars were replacing the old 12-mpg boats that real men would prefer to drive if society weren't otherwise pressuring them toward the exercise in self-castration that is shopping the lots for something greener in an effort to be a more responsible suckling of natural resources.

Of course, he didn't say it nearly so eloquently.

Sly's a dick. WTDY are dicks for dumping their employees smack in the middle of the holiday season. None of this is news, just more evidence that my theory is correct. The world is full of dicks. In the end we're probably all dicks to some degree ... and ultimately low-grade worm food.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government