MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

yes!!! Arkansas to hire Bret Bielema

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: yes!!! Arkansas to hire Bret Bielema

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Won't the people in Arkansas always wonder whether BB will stick around to the end of each season? I'd think jumping jobs at a high-visibility, critical time like this would cast a shadow on his entire career as a coach.

But as I've said I don't get sports as a whole and mostly look at it as a psychological study of aggressive, high-profile risk-taker personalities.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:33 am

Stay thirsty, my Badger friends.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:40 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:48 am

It really pissed me off when he said he chose Arkansas so that he could win a national championship. As Alvarez pointed out:

Alvarez laughed in retrospect when Bielema told him he felt he had a better chance to win a national championship at Arkansas, completely forgetting the fact that UW was ranked fourth in the country last October before back-to-back Hail Mary losses ended that dream. One could argue that had he managed the game or prepared his players better, the dream would have lived on.

I hope he falls flat on his face in Arkansas.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:29 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:42 pm

O.J. wrote:Yup.

I know that article pretty accurately portrays how badger fans are feeling, it is not a fair analysis.
Alvarez is not more loyal to WI than Bielema. Alvarez constantly flirted with other coaching offers. He would have left for Miami if the money was more irresistable.

Moving from Wisconsin to Arkansas is not a lateral move. It is equivalent to a MAC coach from Kent State or Ohio getting a Big Ten offer. The SEC is a much better and bigger stage than the B10. WI will likely not be playing for a national championship in the 21st century.

Bielema has a much better shot to recruit a national championship defense, not to mention recievers & QBs, in that part of the country than he ever would in the north. Maybe Arkansas is a middle tier team within the SEC, but that shows that Bielema is willing to take a huge risk in the face of stiff competition. You have to admit he has moxy. He bumped his salary from $2.5M to $4.M, but the money in WI was far more guaranteed, he could easily be out of job in Arkansas after 2 or 3 years. This is about a guy embracing a giant professional challenge.

It sucks major ass the way that Bielema left WI. Ridiculous. But that is the system of college football. I hate it, it just prooves that fans are suckers to believe in team spirit and loyalty. But it's that illusion that keeps us interested.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Heee heee heee. The music man skips town, and the badger fans are left with their trombones and band outfits.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Huckleby wrote: He bumped his salary from $2.5M to $4.M, but the money in WI was far more guaranteed, he could easily be out of job in Arkansas after 2 or 3 years..

You need to check your facts, Huck. His salary is $3.2M(6yrs/$19.2), with $12.8M in guarantees, unless he's fired for reason.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:10 pm

OK, that's number I heard on talk radio, your bigger number supports my point: the move was not about money. He might have been better of financially in WI, certainly so if my view of the risks is correct. Bielema is following his heart, not cynically going for the gold.

BTW, I am more sick about this move than most people. I don't follow college football in general. I just follow the Badgers because it is a local saga. And now the dream is over - Bucky is dead to me. Maybe time will heal all wounds - although my vengeful side prefers "time wounds all heels."
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Wisconsin was 2 Hail Mary's away from playing in the National Championship last year. In 2006, UW had some questionable calls in a game at Michigan that doomed their chances, or else would have finished the regular season undefeated. By the way, this is the year that they beat Arkansas in the bowl game. Do you remember that game? The one that the pundits gave us little chance to keep up with their speed, but afterwards Arkansas' coach said they couldn't handle ours? We were one colossal choke job at the Metrodome in 1993 from playing for a Championship that year, too. Have you looked at the schedule for next year? Other than the game at Ohio State, I'd be shocked if we weren't favored in every other game we play.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Huckleby wrote:WI will likely not be playing for a national championship in the 21st century.

Your making that prediction for the next hundred years? That's silly.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Huckleby wrote:OK, that's number I heard on talk radio, your bigger number supports my point: the move was not about money.

Huck, he gets more guaranteed money with his Arkansas contract. But, the bigger financial aspect in this is that his assistant coaches will probably stand to make more money, which you could certainly make a case that it might help him reach a title game. But I think the level of competition he'll face more than outweighs this.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:58 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Huckleby wrote:Moving from Wisconsin to Arkansas is not a lateral move. It is equivalent to a MAC coach from Kent State or Ohio getting a Big Ten offer. The SEC is a much better and bigger stage than the B10. WI will likely not be playing for a national championship in the 21st century.

This statement is a lie. The MAC doesn't have an automatic birth to the BCS or national Championship series. A Big Ten team has played for the national championship in 3 of the last 10 years. The MAC has never qualified.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:14 pm

HawkHead wrote:This statement is a lie.

Don't you mean a damnable lie?

The state of college football now is that the real national title game is played in November - the SEC title game.
Look at where the national titles have come from the past decade. The SEC is the professional division of college football.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking