MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

RwP: Mayor Dave bitter towards Sly/New Glarus in WH/Moore/RJ

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: RwP: Mayor Dave bitter towards Sly/New Glarus in WH/Moor

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:36 pm

[quote=Schabow]I guess I'm just OK with a little incvility and a little crudeness if it's to make a bigger point and that there is a sense of light-heartedness about it. [/quote]

I don't object to the "crudeness," I object to the misogyny and the gender-based insults. These are attacks on politicians not over their ideas or their politics, but over their gender. They appear to come from someone who isn't "light hearted," as you insist, but from someone who has a problem with women.

Do you think Kleefisch deserved to be insulted that way by Sly? Do you think he was justified in that rant? Nobody who considers him or herself a "progressive" could ever defend that.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Know what station I listened to a lot when I lived in Madison? 1240 WHFA, Relevant Radio, the Roman Catholic station. Even though I'm not Roman Catholic. I thought it was interesting when some priest would come on and talk about the Second Council of the Lateran. When the talk turned to politics, I changed the channel.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 pm

rabble wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:But wherever you stand, I do not expect THIS attack on OUR lines of communication should sit well with you:
http://act.freepress.net/sign/murdoch_p ... rce=FPblog

As has been pointed out in other threads, the likelihood of an area getting cut off from the internet is directly related to the number of service providers. The fewer providers there are, the easier it is to turn off the internet.

I was not singling out the internets...
If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too.

If your good with this don't sign the petition at the freepress link above.

To all,
As far as the Sly bashing going on here I will say that I pretty much steered clear of him until nearly 20 months ago. I started listening and found it to be a very good product. I didn't alway agree and somethings probably pissed me off that never would have bothered you. I did however occasionally send a note regarding what I liked and what bothered me, sometimes I got a note back but never were they disrespectful. The show was a very effective local program that delightfully, I'm my mind, blended local and state politics/happenings with the national/world context. I do not think that is an easy thing to accomplish and I am greatful to have had the opportunity to observe it.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 pm

I enjoyed Sly's program. Sly appeals to working class guys, mostly, and some gals, so it's not surprising that someone like "Ex-Mayor Dave" would sniff down his elitist nose at Sly.

Sly could be unnecessarily crude and adolescent in the way that a lot of radio shock jocks are, but I don't think there was anything misogynistic about his attempts at humor or outrage. When there was a bigger issue at hand (eg., the events after February 2010), Sly cut most of the shock jock crap and became the best thing on local radio.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 am

Donald wrote:Sly could be unnecessarily crude and adolescent in the way that a lot of radio shock jocks are, but I don't think there was anything misogynistic about his attempts at humor or outrage. When there was a bigger issue at hand (eg., the events after February 2010), Sly cut most of the shock jock crap and became the best thing on local radio.

I guess you stand for what you want to stand for. But if you're going to be a progressive, it seems to me you should oppose using terms like "bitch" and "whore" when discussing women in politics, not do a "yeah, but" tap dance. Go ahead and list the positive qualities if you want, but don't simply ignore the negative ones.

And as long as there's a kid spinning Motown and soul music on WSUM, your final point is objectively not true.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:23 am

jjoyce wrote:But if you're going to be a progressive, it seems to me you should oppose using terms like "bitch" and "whore" when discussing women in politics

Jason is a suppressive repressive Progressive. Be like him.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:25 am

jjoyce wrote: But if you're going to be a progressive, it seems to me you should oppose using terms like "bitch" and "whore" when discussing women in politics

According to this statement it seems as though it's ok to refer to women who aren't in politics as a "bitch" or "whore." Am I correct or are those words completely off limits?

jjoyce wrote:And as long as there's a kid spinning Motown and soul music on WSUM, your final point is objectively not true.

His statement is objectively not true if you like Motown or soul music of which I do. Otherwise that IS a subjective statement.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 am

Shouldn't the article Dave wrote ended after the first line?

"I never listened to talk radio when I was mayor, and I haven't since."
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Meade wrote:
jjoyce wrote:But if you're going to be a progressive, it seems to me you should oppose using terms like "bitch" and "whore" when discussing women in politics

Jason is a suppressive repressive Progressive. Be like him.

Thank you Meade, you illustrate an excellent point. Although, I haven't heard from you much lately.

Here is the point; I'm going to paraphrase, and please imagine this spoken in a hushed tone...
'Err, what we're going to do is use the divide and conquer'.

p.s.- For every dollar scored from the power of the purse of the likes of the Heratage Foundation an angel losses its wings or a kitten dies, eitherway it's bad.

MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 pm

I've heard Sly call men whores and bitches, too. He's an equal opportunity insulter. Let's not be sexist by thinking we have to defend what you seem to think of as "the weaker sex." He took after Lucy Mathiak for a while, but she didn't shrink from defending herself on his show. I think they ended up having a good, professional relationship.

The name calling is just shock jock talk. I don't like it, but I understand it. It's supposed to generate controversy and get a reaction, and it usually works. It's adolescent, I admit, and it took away from his credibility. But Sly also did very thoughtful topics that never got any calls. Nothing worse for a talk radio host than giving a thoughful set up and no one responds.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:55 am

Donald,
I am on board with what you are saying and really understand your voice. I posted the following two or three weeks ago and think it is very appropriate here. The point of the embedded quote is not about Watt's view of our global presence, but about the potential of our presence being asserted as citizens. It is not so funny to me that it has come to this. I suspect the absence we lament pleases those who seek cover, and for them to embrace this noise is obviously difficult.

PJ,
You are very good. I isolated the following bit I heard last weekend and I thought you might like it...

"There was this guy by the name of James Watt, who was Ronald Reagan's secretary of the interior. And he made a very profound statement once. He said, noise is power. And the noisier we are as a culture, Americans he was talking about, the more powerful we appear to be to others. Isn't that interesting? "; Bernie Krause, TTBOOK, 11/11/12.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government