MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Gates & Brovi

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Gates & Brovi

Postby chance » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:12 pm

The problem with parking for Gates & Brovi has another aspect.

On-street parking is now being allowed on the other (Arboretum) side of Monroe, across from Mallatts and the building Gates & Brovi is in. I’m pretty sure this is a new development. There’s frequently a line of cars parked there now, presumably Gates & Brovi customers. That forces the in-bound traffic from Nakoma to merge into the inbound traffic from Odana almost immediately after rounding the curve there and coming onto Monroe Street. Those two traffic streams (inbound Nakoma and Odana) used to have blocks to accomplish that merge. It’s created a new choke point. Bad traffic design.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 pm

chance wrote:That forces the in-bound traffic from Nakoma to merge into the inbound traffic from Odana almost immediately after rounding the curve there and coming onto Monroe Street. Those two traffic streams (inbound Nakoma and Odana) used to have blocks to accomplish that merge. It’s created a new choke point. Bad traffic design.

That's a city street right there. G&B is clearly in the city. It's an urban neighborhood, despite the presence of the Arb.

The problem with driving in Madison isn't "traffic design," it's drivers who want unhindered access to everything and the ability to drive without stopping. That doesn't happen in cities.

Nakoma resembles a suburb, but just a few blocks east of G&B is one of the worst areas when it comes to cars wanting to rip through at 35 and pedestrians accessing their neighborhood businesses.

Slow down. Yield. Merge.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Ate there yesterday after reading the review in Isthmus and seeing they had a vaguely muffaletta-esque offering (my favorite sandwich, not widely available around town). The service was stellar; my son commented that we should just take our waitress with us and when we go out to eat anywhere we'd just say 'no thanks, we brought our own waitress'. The interior was pleasant, clean, big; reminding me of some of our favorite Milwaukee area restaurants like Centraal. Parking is terrible. The muffaletta type sandwich was smaller than expected, light on the olive relish, and completely deluged with some kind of orange colored, red-pepper tasting greasy sauce. It did not impress me. I would definitely order that sauce on the side next time, and more of the olive relish. My son had a bacon cheeseburger which he liked a lot. Two sandwiches, each came with fries and coleslaw (and yes, the coleslaw is terrible, a real bummer for me because I love coleslaw). We had water to drink. Our bill was $22. We will try it again, now that we know what to expect, but we will give them time to get better first.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:39 am

Violet_Skye wrote:a vaguely muffaletta-esque offering (my favorite sandwich, not widely available around town)

Was that on the regular menu? Nothing's standing out in my memory as a muffuletta, esque or otherwise. If you're thinking of the ham sandwich at the top of the menu, and it's the pimento cheese you're dismissing, you bite your tongue.

Other than The Bayou, both Rolling Pin Bakeshop and Deli Roma offer amply-stuffed muffulettas -- if you haven't discovered them yet. Of those two, Deli Roma's version is closest to the typical NOLA configuration
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 am

That's the one, but I didn't notice any cheese at all. Just this gloppy orange goo that could be described as tasting of pimento, I guess. Thanks for letting me know where else I could get a muffaletta around town.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:01 am

I stopped in two weeks ago for a post-basketball game dinner with a friend. We parked behind the restaurant on Wyota and didn't find it any harder than parking on Willy St. I had the roast beef sandwich with giardiniera which was really excellent and my friend had the burger with braunschweiger. He seemed to be a fan of it. Service was perfectly fine and I thought prices were reasonable. I had an Ale Asylum and he had a Staropramen and I think our total bill was about $25. I'd give the place my stamp of approval.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 am

jjoyce wrote:
chance wrote:That forces the in-bound traffic from Nakoma to merge into the inbound traffic from Odana almost immediately after rounding the curve there and coming onto Monroe Street. Those two traffic streams (inbound Nakoma and Odana) used to have blocks to accomplish that merge. It’s created a new choke point. Bad traffic design.

That's a city street right there. G&B is clearly in the city. It's an urban neighborhood, despite the presence of the Arb.

The problem with driving in Madison isn't "traffic design," it's drivers who want unhindered access to everything and the ability to drive without stopping. That doesn't happen in cities.

Nakoma resembles a suburb, but just a few blocks east of G&B is one of the worst areas when it comes to cars wanting to rip through at 35 and pedestrians accessing their neighborhood businesses.

Slow down. Yield. Merge.

Hmmm. The thing is, that last (or first?) section of Monroe used to be sort of a transition zone. Drivers coming from either Nakoma or Odana Rd were leaving neighborhoods that were quieter, lower-density, and purely residential, and transitioning into an area with lots of businesses, pedestrians, narrower streets, etc. That transition zone was longer before, because the businesses down at that end of Monroe Street mostly didn't attract a whole lot of crowds, the way all the restaurants etc. further up the street do.

If there's more on-street parking and a busy new restaurant down at that end, it's going to make for a pretty abrupt transition for in-bound drivers coming from Odana or Nakoma.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. As Jason points out, people used to be lulled into thinking they could keep cruising along at 35 in that transition zone, when it really wasn't appropriate given the neighborhood and the congestion that they'd soon be encountering. Maybe a more obvious signal that "you're in the city now" will help. If so, the change probably needs to happen right at the three-way junction with Odana and Nakoma -- that's the obvious point to get drivers to change their mode from "suburban driving" to "city driving".
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:21 am

I noticed one of the reviews on Yelp said something about "a lack of sandwich/burger options on Monroe Street". That's always baffled me. Ms Kurt and I went into deep mourning when the Atlas Deli closed -- their sandwiches were incredible. For many years it seemed like there was a definite unmet need for a good sandwich place on that street.

Gates & Brovi sounds like a good concept, if they can just fix some of the problems mentioned here. Dunno when I'll be back in Madison next, but I'll check it out for sure.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:40 am

kurt_w wrote:I noticed one of the reviews on Yelp said something about "a lack of sandwich/burger options on Monroe Street". That's always baffled me.

That comment baffled me, honestly. Unless you've got a jones for a long gone sandwich spot, there's jacs, and the Laurel, and Pizza Brutta -- hell, Michael's and Bluephies are acceptable. [edit: Forgot Brocach.] And that's to say nothing of Brasserie V, which has not one but two of the best burgers in town.

Her complaint about the cole slaw serving vessels -- "I'd expect as much at a bbq joint, but not at a restaurant on Monroe Street" -- smacks of something distasteful.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:56 am

The Laurel is a legit burger/beer joint. Michael's Frozen Custard serves a nice burger. The Village isn't on Monroe, but very close. Down by the stadium there's Lucky's. Can you not get a decent burger at Bluephies (haven't been there in years)? jac's has a burger, right?

Let's just speak the truth about Monroe Street: The people living over there are among the city's most finicky when it comes to options in their ideal neighborhood. They never seem content. They used to complain about having too few restaurants and then they started complaining about what kind of restaurants they got.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:00 am

Yelp is a joke; it's about as useful as the not-so-stealthy first time posters that come on here touting their restaurants.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:17 am

jjoyce wrote:The Laurel is a legit burger/beer joint. Michael's Frozen Custard serves a nice burger. The Village isn't on Monroe, but very close. Down by the stadium there's Lucky's. Can you not get a decent burger at Bluephies (haven't been there in years)? jac's has a burger, right?

The burgers (and frites) at jacs are incredible- better than most downtown options, in my opinion. The sandwiches at Brasserie V are also quite good. Regarding the muffuletta search in Madison, Marigold Kitchen has a similar tasting sandwich I remember fondly from my frequent downtown lunchin' days. Can't remember what it's called, but whenever I got the hankering for a muffuletta that sandwich did the trick- the olive relish was perfect.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:50 am

TheBookPolice wrote:That comment baffled me, honestly. Unless you've got a jones for a long gone sandwich spot

Hey, now.
there's jacs, and the Laurel, and Pizza Brutta -- hell, Michael's and Bluephies are acceptable. [edit: Forgot Brocach.] And that's to say nothing of Brasserie V, which has not one but two of the best burgers in town.

OK, so I'm thinking that jacs, Brocach [on Monroe], and Pizza Brutta are all new within the past few years, which is why I said "For many years [...] there was a definite unmet need for a good sandwich place". My experience is increasingly out of date here. (Now, the Yelp commenter presumably doesn't have that excuse, so you're right to call them out on that).

Michael's has a few basic burgers and dogs, but not sandwiches. Bluephie's is good, but not the kind of place I'd normally wander into to just buy a sandwich. I'll cop to forgetting about the Laurel.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:54 am

jjoyce wrote:Let's just speak the truth about Monroe Street: The people living over there are among the city's most finicky when it comes to options in their ideal neighborhood. They never seem content. They used to complain about having too few restaurants and then they started complaining about what kind of restaurants they got.

Ouch! That must be my repayment for bumping the thread with your old comments about Al Franken.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:54 am

swoon_queen wrote:The burgers (and frites) at jacs are incredible- better than most downtown options, in my opinion. The sandwiches at Brasserie V are also quite good. Regarding the muffuletta search in Madison, Marigold Kitchen has a similar tasting sandwich I remember fondly from my frequent downtown lunchin' days. Can't remember what it's called, but whenever I got the hankering for a muffuletta that sandwich did the trick- the olive relish was perfect.

This thread is making me hungry.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews