MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Sperm Count Crisis!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The Sperm Count Crisis!

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:16 pm

kurt_w wrote:Actually, this whole thread has the potential to turn into a La Brea tar pit of epic proportions.

Future paleontologists will dig down through the tar and find all kinds of prehistoric 21st century forons buried here.

With Francis and Arturo both acting like hogs who found the perfect new wallow, I gotta agree. And move on.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:27 pm

wack wack wrote:1) Reproduction as a right... interesting thought. My comment was in context of an arguable good of the whole, not the desires of individuals.

2) Fair enough, let's start at post-conception.

Seriously though, I'm all for science and medicine doing what it can to help individuals pursue their desires. I don't think it's any cause for hand-wringing as a society or world population.

1) It's not a new issue. China was under fire for years with it's one child policy, enacted because the Chinese government thought less births would be better for the whole country. Granted that policy was far more draconian than just ignoring a possible sperm count issue.

2) Tying in to Arturo's point about an economic divide here; Even if the governments of the world ignore this problem, you know someone will find a cure of some sort. Guess who will be able to afford it?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Even if the governments of the world ignore this problem, you know someone will find a cure of some sort. Guess who will be able to afford it?
Doesn't matter, mandatory insurance policies could be mandated to cover it.
rabble wrote:With Francis and Arturo both acting like hogs who found the perfect new wallow, I gotta agree. And move on.
I like the imagery, and I agree to some extent - I genuinely enjoy an argument about taboo issues. But anyway, if you're not comfortable examining the logical conclusions of your own hastily-formed opinions, it's no sweat off my back.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:48 pm

rabble wrote:With Francis and Arturo both acting like hogs who found the perfect new wallow, I gotta agree. And move on.

Imagery works, you spewed shit, we're wallowing.

ArturoBandini wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Even if the governments of the world ignore this problem, you know someone will find a cure of some sort. Guess who will be able to afford it?
Doesn't matter, mandatory insurance policies could be mandated to cover it.

Not if the treatment isn't available in the US, which isn't all that uncommon.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm

I can't even bear to read through this thread in its entirety given how totally wrong one of the central premises is. I'm really tired of hearing people state unequivocally that the planet is overpopulated (or about to become so) given that's it's utter bullshit. People have been claiming that was true (or about to become so) for a couple centuries now. It's really just another form of the "the world is coming to an end" argument and we all know how ridiculous everyone who makes those claims looks through the lens of history.

There is more than enough land, food, and energy for everyone. We suck at distribution, is all.

Oh, and Arturo, there are no cows on my keyboard, my hands are not moving faster than light while I type this, my monitor is not displaying everything in Chinese, and there is no truth in the notion that you cannot prove a negative.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Let's take a moment to remember that "crisis" is Victorian slang for an orgasm, and then re-read this HILARIOUS thread.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:24 pm

You guys make me think of Woody Allen in his sperm costume.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Let's take a moment to remember that "crisis" is Victorian slang for an orgasm, and then re-read this HILARIOUS thread.
Thank you for this. It helps a lot.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Let's take a moment to remember that "crisis" is Victorian slang for an orgasm, and then re-read this HILARIOUS thread.

Wow, my mind just applied that to so many books I have read in the past. The majority of them were not of a Victorian vintage.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Oh, and Arturo, there are no cows on my keyboard, my hands are not moving faster than light while I type this, my monitor is not displaying everything in Chinese, and there is no truth in the notion that you cannot prove a negative.
Fair enough. The converse of the original statement isn't something that could be rigorously proved anyway, so I was just using sloppy language.
Whoa. What does this mean for so-called "crisis hotlines"?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:18 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Whoa. What does this mean for so-called "crisis hotlines"?

You mean 900 numbers?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:Whoa. What does this mean for so-called "crisis hotlines"?

You mean 900 numbers?

Thanks again. There may not be any cows on my keyboard, but now there's some spit-out juice.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I can't even bear to read through this thread in its entirety given how totally wrong one of the central premises is. I'm really tired of hearing people state unequivocally that the planet is overpopulated (or about to become so) given that's it's utter bullshit.

Well, studies of population dynamics in closed ecosystems have consistently supported the theory that the closed ecosystem known as Earth is, or will be, overpopulated.Image
The available resources of a closed system become the limiting factor, determining the carrying capacity. Often, the population overshoots before eventually settling in at the carrying capacity. Our population appears to be heading towards, or possibly overshooting, the Earth's human carrying capacity.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:21 pm

jman111 wrote:Well, studies of population dynamics in closed ecosystems have consistently supported the theory that the closed ecosystem known as Earth is, or will be, overpopulated.
Exactly. For a couple centuries now, dire predictions have been made about how we're all doomed. Yet here we all still are. Clearly, there's something flawed in the conclusions of those studies.

We live in a country that throws away enough food daily to feed every starving person on Earth and has vast tracts of land that nobody is living on. Pretty unconvincing evidence for overpopulation if you ask me.

Yes, if population growth continues, eventually the Earth will become overpopulated. Of course, if we wait long enough, the Earth will be swallowed by the Sun. If we spent half as much time getting food to starving people as we did worrying about overpopulation, the whole world could be facing the same obesity epidemic we currently suffer from here in the U.S.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Yeah, all that science is just BS anyway.
Right?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines