MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Gates & Brovi

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Gates & Brovi

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:The Laurel is a legit burger/beer joint. Michael's Frozen Custard serves a nice burger. The Village isn't on Monroe, but very close. Down by the stadium there's Lucky's. Can you not get a decent burger at Bluephies (haven't been there in years)? jac's has a burger, right?

Let's just speak the truth about Monroe Street: The people living over there are among the city's most finicky when it comes to options in their ideal neighborhood. They never seem content.
I'm not technically in this neighborhood (I'm off Midvale) but I admit to being finicky. I've always disliked Bluephies and given how many truly excellent burgers there on in this town (although these days, I'm hard-pressed to think of a better one than Five Guys, which many probably dismiss out-of-hand just for being a chain), I cannot get behind Michael's. But yeah, there's plenty of options in that 'hood. I agree with you that The Village and the Laurel are both good. If you're hungry early enough, there's no better greasy spoon in town than Mickie's Dairy Bar (I should probably have posted the tuna and egg salad club in the Favorite dishes in town thread) and Pizza Brutta is near the top of my favorite places to go in any part of town. New Orleans Take Out remains excellent and Brocach is quite good. I've never been to Lucky's, but that's simply because I'm not a sports bar fan. I'm sure there's more that I'm just not thinking of right at the moment.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 pm

kurt_w wrote:Ouch! That must be my repayment for bumping the thread with your old comments about Al Franken.

I love tweaking Dudgeon-Monroe residents, especially when they start complaining about restaurants.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:23 pm

jjoyce wrote:I love tweaking Dudgeon-Monroe residents, especially when they start complaining about restaurants.

I still haven't had lunch. Why isn't there a restaurant near me?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:57 pm

kurt_w wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Let's just speak the truth about Monroe Street: The people living over there are among the city's most finicky when it comes to options in their ideal neighborhood. They never seem content. They used to complain about having too few restaurants and then they started complaining about what kind of restaurants they got.

Ouch! That must be my repayment for bumping the thread with your old comments about Al Franken.

I agree with Jason, but would hasten to add that when you consider the number and quality of restaurants and retail options on that street.....makes it seem like being super-finicky pays off. I don't live in the neighborhood, but I seem to spend a fair amount of time and money there. In this case, I salute finicky!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:27 pm

swoon_queen wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Regarding the muffuletta search in Madison, Marigold Kitchen has a similar tasting sandwich I remember fondly from my frequent downtown lunchin' days. Can't remember what it's called, but whenever I got the hankering for a muffuletta that sandwich did the trick- the olive relish was perfect.

I was at an event that Marigold catered recently, and they indeed served an incredibly tasty, swoon-worthy muffaletta. A look at their menu shows nothing similar, that I can see. If you figure out which sandwich on their menu is the one, I would love to know.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Incidentally, we got a random, unsolicited shout-out for Jac's from another patron at the pharmacy on Monroe St., when he overheard us discussing a sandwich place on Monroe we were trying to find (Gates & Brovi). The look in his eyes suggested he had glimpsed something near sandwich/burger heaven there. Next on the list of places to try.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm

rrnate wrote:Uh, what's with the shrimp not being deveined? Is it some new food trend to eat shrimp shit?

I ALMOST asked a chef where exactly I was supposed to put the shit on my plate: next to the veg or on top of my potato. These were large, entree sized shrimp. He was trying to tell me you don't want to devein them when you cook them with the shell on. Yes, I understand you wanted to leave the shell on for flavor, but that doesn't mean I have to scoop the gritty poop myself. An extra step and they could've devined before cooking. It just comes off as supremely lazy and unappetizing.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:18 pm

kimm wrote: He was trying to tell me you don't want to devein them when you cook them with the shell on.

He just didn't want to take the time to do so, I can't think of any other reason why you wouldn't "want" to.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Uh, yeah... that's crazy talk.
You don't have to remove the shell to devein shrimp.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Sunday night I had the Parman's Melt sandwich. Ground beef, braunschweiger, and sourkraut on toasted bread. I ordered it without the kraut so it technically wasn't the Parman's, but it was an excellent sandwich. I love a good patty melt.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews