MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:Make sure they've got your name on them, though -- not your roomate's or your landlord's or your parent's, or the ever-popular "Occupant." Just like proof of residency on paper.

Yep, but utility bills are just one acceptable proof of residence. Others that work might or might not be online. And the paper versions are still accepted. This latest ruling by the GAB just expands those options and will help in getting more people to participate in democratic decision making by voting. As Martha Stewart says: it's is a good thing.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:19 pm

I am now wondering how many documents required for a voter ID could be obtained electronically (like birth certificates from some jurisdictions) and whether they would be allowed.

I love the GAB, by the way. A bunch of smart old retired judges, demonstrably and intentionally nonpartisan, fair to the point of obsessiveness, and clearly dedicated to upholding basic principles of voters' rights and, as far as possible in this environment, clean elections. They've pissed me off a bunch of times and that's probably a good sign.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:20 pm

snoqueen wrote:I love the GAB, by the way. A bunch of smart old retired judges, demonstrably and intentionally nonpartisan, fair to the point of obsessiveness, and clearly dedicated to upholding basic principles of voters' rights and, as far as possible in this environment, clean elections. They've pissed me off a bunch of times and that's probably a good sign.

That might change. Incoming Senate leader favors political appointees over judges on GAB
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:01 pm

More, from madison.com:

GAB director Kevin Kennedy did not immediately return a message seeking reaction.

When the board's objectivity was criticized last year by Jeff Fitzgerald, Kennedy defended its makeup and operation.

"The current board members have more than 130 years of experience on the bench as trained decision makers, something the state did not have with the previous Elections Board, which was comprised of partisan political appointees," Kennedy said in 2011. "The nonpartisan structure of the board and its staff has been validated since its inception, and particularly during the unprecedented election and political activity of the past 12 months."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:04 pm

"The judges say we don't have enough (information) to overturn the staff recommendations, so they just say 'aye,' " Fitzgerald said.

We need them to make decisions whether they've got information or not! Jeez. This ain't rocket science people. And rocket science is a hoax anyway.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Wississippi, here we come!
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm

ilikebeans wrote:

Wississippi, here we come!

Just fucking amazing.
"GAB, it's not working the way it's supposed to," Fitzgerald said.

Exactly how did you expect it to work?
A professor specializing in election law who has studied the accountability board bemoaned the proposal.

"I think that's about the worst idea I've heard this year," said Daniel Tokaji, a professor at the Ohio State University Moritz College of Law who has written about Wisconsin's accountability board.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 60151.html

Maybe they'll outsource to MBF.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 am

Rep. Robin Vos wants to revisit the voter ID law; opponents wonder 'what now?'

One of the state’s top Republican leaders signaled he's ready for Round 2 in the fight to impose a voter ID law in Wisconsin, saying it will be a priority when lawmakers get back to work in January.

...it's unclear what a new Republican voter ID bill would look like and if it would stand up to what will be tough scrutiny from the minority party and the groups that have legally challenged the first one.

“I thought he (Vos) was misquoted,” says Stacy Harbaugh, a spokeswoman with the America Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin. “I had to double-check the date (on the online post) to make sure he was talking about current issues for the upcoming Legislature.”
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 pm

I think we need to take a moment and just stand in awe of the GOP's laser-like focus on jobs.

Too bad it's only to keep theirs in perpetuity.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Not a priority!

The GOP governor last month told a gathering at the Ronald Reagan Library and Museum near Los Angeles that he supported ending the ability of people to register to vote at the polls. Walker said Wednesday he still supports the measure, but downplayed it and said opponents had turned it into a "ridiculous issue."

But half an hour later, Rep. Joel Kleefisch (R-Oconomowoc) sent an email to all lawmakers saying he and Sen. Alberta Darling (R-River Hills) were writing a bill to end election-day registration and seeking co-sponsors for it. Capitol aides said it was the first email they had seen in which legislators are asking for people to sign onto bills for the next session.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 86401.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Ending same-day registration would cost state $5.2M right away, report says

Repealing the Wisconsin law that allows voter registration on Election Day would cost the state election agency about $5.2 million right away, and another roughly $1.9 million every two years after that, while also preserving some Election Day registration, according to a preliminary report from a state committee.

That's because two federal voting laws would kick in requiring implementation of a long list of federal registration procedures — including provisions that would preserve some Election Day registration. Because the state enacted a same-day registration law in 1975, it is now exempt from the federal mandates.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

No suprise, but its nice that he's honest about it.
"A lot of us are campaign officials -- or campaign professionals -- and we want to do everything we can to help our side. Sometimes we think that's voter ID, sometimes we think that's longer lines -- whatever it may be," Tranter said with a laugh.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 73927.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:27 pm

DCB wrote:No suprise, but its nice that he's honest about it.
"A lot of us are campaign officials -- or campaign professionals -- and we want to do everything we can to help our side. Sometimes we think that's voter ID, sometimes we think that's longer lines -- whatever it may be," Tranter said with a laugh.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 73927.html

That makes me sick. Seriously.

What a pathetic fucking excuse for a party the GOP is. Their mission is to steal as much as they can from the poor and middle class, and transfer it to the rich. Since that would normally be a rather unpopular agenda, they have to lie about it all the time. And since lying doesn't always work, they try to rig elections and stop people from voting.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:38 pm

They need to put some teeth into laws that guard against voter suppression and actually enforce them. I don't care how strongly you feel about a candidate or party, actively pursuing the disenfranchisement of voters is a crime against democracy. It needs to be a felony.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 am

pjbogart wrote:They need to put some teeth into laws that guard against voter suppression and actually enforce them. I don't care how strongly you feel about a candidate or party, actively pursuing the disenfranchisement of voters is a crime against democracy. It needs to be a felony.

YES!!!
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government