MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Postby Average Joe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Seriously, with all their connections they can't conjure up $500K from wealthy billionaires that the Walkers seem to be friends with to make a donation for "historic preservation" of the Governor's Mansion?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Average Joe wrote:Seriously, with all their connections they can't conjure up $500K from wealthy billionaires that the Walkers seem to be friends with to make a donation for "historic preservation" of the Governor's Mansion?

I'm guessing that there are granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances involved which don't exactly count as historic preservation.

I have to say that I strongly object to the government spending more on a kitchen than double what my house is worth. If I have to take a $200 a month paycut then they can live without a fancy kitchen in a mansion they don't even live in.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Athena wrote:
Average Joe wrote:Seriously, with all their connections they can't conjure up $500K from wealthy billionaires that the Walkers seem to be friends with to make a donation for "historic preservation" of the Governor's Mansion?

I'm guessing that there are granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances involved which don't exactly count as historic preservation.

Yup. That'd be why I used them ""air quotes"" to denote "sarcasm".
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:33 pm

In the face of mounting criticism, no public money will be used for the kitchen renovations. Instead Walker will ask his rich friends for the money. I'm sure it will be a tax write-off.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:In the face of mounting criticism, no public money will be used for the kitchen renovations. Instead Walker will ask his rich friends for the money. I'm sure it will be a tax write-off.

Unsurprisingly the whole stink seems to be much ado about nothing.

Half a million to renovate an industrial sized kitchen for safety issues isn't that crazy. Especially if the repairs were ultimately going to be paid by private donations anyway.

Aides to Republicans and Democrats on the commission confirmed Tuesday the first lady had expressed intent months ago to raise the money privately, although the money would be borrowed upfront by the state.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Especially if the repairs were ultimately going to be paid by private donations anyway.

Funny how the stories change.

From the OP:

The request stated that WERF was currently raising funds to pay for a portion of the renovations

Emphasis mine.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Half a million to renovate an industrial sized kitchen for safety issues isn't that crazy.

It isn't? What kitchen safety issues cost $500,000 to fix?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:02 pm

lukpac wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Half a million to renovate an industrial sized kitchen for safety issues isn't that crazy.

that you've got a chute over the stove that literally they have to put Styrofoam up in when it rains or snows to keep water from coming in, which is a potential fire hazard," Walker said.

Water dripping on a stove is a huge fire hazard. The flames from the stove and the water create a crazy combustible circumstance. I'm thinking that's about a $100,000 fix right there.

They probably had the same estimators from the capital repair project.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 pm

lukpac wrote:

Protest signs duct-taped to the range hood.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I couldn't have set that up better if I had tried.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Funny how these problems didn't exist when the Doyles lived there for 8 years. Maybe that's because the state employees who oversaw the Mansion didn't allow things to fall into disrepair. Now Walker is there, has private contractors messing with things, and ooooops! Sounds familiar doesn't it;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm

You people are such job killers. Walker comes along, tries to stimulate the economy and you libs are all "no no no".
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Next thing you know they'll be asking for indoor plumbing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:that you've got a chute over the stove that literally they have to put Styrofoam up in when it rains or snows to keep water from coming in, which is a potential fire hazard," Walker said.

Water dripping on a stove is a huge fire hazard. The flames from the stove and the water create a crazy combustible circumstance. I'm thinking that's about a $100,000 fix right there.

Rain water dripping on cooking food is a health hazard smart guy. I assume the Styrofoam panel over the stove is the fire hazard (and why does my auto correct think Styrofoam needs to be capitalized?).

Now I'm not sure what genius is using Styrofoam to block water over a stove, but that's a completely different issue (and no, it probably wasn't Scottie).

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Especially if the repairs were ultimately going to be paid by private donations anyway.

Funny how the stories change.

From the OP:

The request stated that WERF was currently raising funds to pay for a portion of the renovations

Emphasis mine.

Don't look at me, I just quoted Henry's link. Apparently Henry found a link with more information than the OP. Personally I think whether they are overspending or not or if its tax dollars or private donations, it's a spectacularly stupid thing to get worked up about. Doyle spent $384K to renovate the basement in 2007. Almost $200K of that was tax payer money. Who cares?

It's like you guys see Walker's name in a news story and have a Pavlovian response to rant like a 2 year old. Save it for the stupid shit he does that actually matter.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I assume the Styrofoam panel over the stove is the fire hazard (and why does my auto correct think Styrofoam needs to be capitalized?).

Styrofoam is a trademarked brand of closed-cell extruded polystyrene foam currently made for thermal insulation and craft applications. It is owned and manufactured by The Dow Chemical Company. Fail to capitalize it at your peril, mortal!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government