MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Uncle Charlie's or Dirty Joe's Nitrate Hut

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Uncle Charlie's or Dirty Joe's Nitrate Hut

Postby workboy7 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:57 pm

While my new name is still a jumbled mess rattling around my brain box, the food is dead-nuts (an industry term) perfect, including my new menu items like salads and wraps, which are both outselling my predictions eight fold. As always, my pride in dogs, beef, wings and friday fish fry enforces my one bite guarantee; love it or no charge to you. Come by Pooley's, eat my food.
For the previous posts predicting my demise at the far-east outpost, customers stream in daily, even this far away from King street.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Re: Uncle Charlie's or Dirty Joe's Nitrate Hut

Postby john_titor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:19 pm

As long as we are going to bread our own fish:

john_titor wrote:Gyros on the spit NO, dogs CHECK, Italian beef CHECK, a polish CHECK, charburgers, CHECK quality fries (+ 8 ways of poutine) NO POUTINE and salads NOT ON ONLINE MENU BUT YOU SAID CHECK. Shakes NO - STUPID FOR A BAR Efficient take-out IDK. Don't be a chisel SOUNDS LIKE IT. Be located next to something that involves youth sport leagues CHECK. Lunch crowds IDK.

Who is from the future now, bitches?

With all that, I have not yet been. I could not find the hours you are open on the Pooley's website. I would like to try for lunch, but don't want to drive out and find it closed. What should I get? If I go tomorrow should I get the combo or the fish?

As far as the loss of Dog Eat Dog goes, I wouldn't worry about it. "Chicago Style Hot Dog & Beef Stand" while doing exactly what it says on the tin, could use a second look.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:02 am

Stopped out last Friday, its now called Diggity's.

Had the Cheesy Slaw Dog (which I've had before) but noticed on the menu that it said "try it with hot giardiniera" which I had not seen before. Damn, that is fantastic. Sloppy (in all the right places) and perhaps a little too oily but that's going to happen when you pile all that stuff on a dog. I'll get it again.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:06 am

Logjam wrote:Stopped out last Friday, its now called Diggity's.

Will Glen Quagmire object and lay claim to that name?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:20 pm

I too made it out there shortly after my post. I opted for the combo. It was good. The sausage gave it a nice smoke flavor. What was the spice you put on the fries? Very good. I saw what I assumed to be workboy7 making the rounds. Seemed like a nice fella.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 am

Kind of off topic here, but just responding to this part of the thread title:

Dirty Joe's Nitrate Hut

Back in the 70s/80s, there was a lot of speculation that nitrates/nitrites used in preserved meats might be a possible carcinogen. That's pretty much been disproved. In fact, dietary nitrate/nitrite may actually be beneficial in a number of ways, including reducing blood pressure (the nitrate is converted to nitrite, then to NO and other nitrogen oxides). And, further ... the vast majority of your dietary nitrate/nitrite intake (perhaps 80%, 90%, or more) comes from vegetables, not from meats.

The real health issues with processed meat are the obvious ones: sodium and fat, not nitrates.

So a joint selling 'dogs should probably be "Dirty Joe's Sodium and Fat Hut". Although if they have salads on the menu, that could justify the "nitrate" thing I suppose.

In parts of Wisconsin where well water is very high in nitrates due to groundwater contamination from fertilizers, there is a risk of "nitrate poisoning" for infants under six months. Their bodies don't handle nitrate the same way, and excess nitrate can impair infants' ability to transport oxygen in the bloodstream, leading to what's known as "blue baby syndrome". If you're living in an area like Aldo Leopold's "sand counties" and are using tap water to mix up infant formula, you should definitely get your well tested.

Thus endeth the digression ...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:10 am

Stopped in last Friday (I think) for dinner. We just wanted to grab a few beers and a bite to eat, so decided to make the drive. We each had the Italian beef- delicious.

Now, if only the bartenders were more attentive. It took almost 20 minutes to get someone to take our food order (while sitting at the bar, literally waving occasionally to get their attention). And then I got fries instead of the chips I had ordered. That was ok, though. They looked good (and were), so I declined the offered replacement.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:25 am

We've stopped in about 2-3 times a month for lunch. I always want to try something different, but end up ordering the chili cheese dog (with onions) anyway. People I have gone with have ordered different items at different times. We haven't had any complaints yet. The Italian beef and the burgers really seem to be a big hit with this group.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:49 am

A small update from Diggity's...we now sell gyros, big, fat, greasy hand cut gyros...quite possibly the best in town...come in and let me know. They aren't on the menu yet, still doing a little tweaking, just wink at your server.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews