MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Detritus wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:I assume the Styrofoam panel over the stove is the fire hazard (and why does my auto correct think Styrofoam needs to be capitalized?).

Styrofoam is a trademarked brand of closed-cell extruded polystyrene foam currently made for thermal insulation and craft applications. It is owned and manufactured by The Dow Chemical Company. Fail to capitalize it at your peril, mortal!

My OCD trumps any fear of Dow. Stupid red underlines taunting me!
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 pm

What are the chances that it's a contractor that leans conservative, if not full tea party. Probably bitches about taxes and government oversight and all the freeloaders.. But put a government contract in front of them and it's boats and bonuses all around.

I don't care if this isn't technically a government contract due to wherever the funds are coming from. Contractors prey on government contracts and gullible rich people. I recently saw a 65K landscaping job at a north shore lake house that didn't look a helluva lot different than when they started.

Another time some friends and I were regaled at a bar, by an employee of a mid-size local contractor, with stories of how they were "absolutely fucking" the owners of another Mendota mansion that they were rehabbing.

I do home repair and small improvements and I have never over-charged even one person in over a decade. And I have the clear conscience and meager income to prove it.

Not to sound bitter or anything...
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:14 am

narcoleptish wrote:Contractors prey on government contracts and gullible rich people.

I didn't mean these were the only people who get ripped off. That's obviously not the case.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:30 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Rain water dripping on cooking food is a health hazard smart guy.

Hey smart guy, Walker was quoted as saying it was a "fire hazard" not a health hazard.

Francis Di Domizio wrote: Doyle spent $384K to renovate the basement in 2007. Almost $200K of that was tax payer money. Who cares?

Who cares if they're overspending? What if they spent a million on the renovation? What about 2 million? I also think it was asinine for Doyle to spend that much on a basement renovation as well. This is the first I read about it. Jeebus, who are these fucking contractors they're using anyways.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:It's like you guys see Walker's name in a news story and have a Pavlovian response to rant like a 2 year old. Save it for the stupid shit he does that actually matter.

Walker has been spewing for the last couple years how "broke" our state is. He's slashed programs, salaries, benefits, and worker rights in the name of saving money. To then come out and have his wife say they want to renovate to the tune of half a million, yes, I'm gonna think that matters.

I won't argue that the kitchens may need renovation, but if you're going to be fiscally responsible, do what most every family or business owner does. Prioritize. Renovate the main kitchen one year, then budget for the second kitchen the next year. Not that we all have two kitchens, but you get my point.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:31 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Rain water dripping on cooking food is a health hazard smart guy. I assume the Styrofoam panel over the stove is the fire hazard (and why does my auto correct think Styrofoam needs to be capitalized?).

If money is as tight as has been claimed (we're broke! remember?), the safety hazard(s) could be addressed without a full remodel. Would you rebuild your car's engine if the oil filter was leaking?

Edit: Yeah, what Stebben said.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:03 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Rain water dripping on cooking food is a health hazard smart guy.

Hey smart guy, Walker was quoted as saying it was a "fire hazard" not a health hazard.

The full quote from Walker if you had bothered to read Henry's link was actually:
"It's got a kitchen that's industrial grade that right now hasn't been upgraded since I was in high school. So it's one of those where I think the idea was not only from a usage standpoint but, at some point, from a public safety standpoint; that you've got a chute over the stove that literally they have to put Styrofoam up in when it rains or snows to keep water from coming in, which is a potential fire hazard," Walker said.

I assumed you had the mental capability to realize he was talking about the styrofoam panel being a fire hazard and not water. I guess it's true what they say about assuming.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 am

Ok, ignoring the flammable water non-controversy, the critique of Walker has very little to do with a kitchen remodel and more to do with a tendency to complain about government spending, but only when the spending benefits working class folks, specifically working class folks who aren't donating to his campaigns. If you're a teacher or a government employee who doesn't have an (R) next to your name, the well has run dry. If you're a private contractor who gives to Republicans, please make an orderly line and grab a bucket.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am

pjbogart wrote:Ok, ignoring the flammable water non-controversy, the critique of Walker has very little to do with a kitchen remodel and more to do with a tendency to complain about government spending, but only when the spending benefits working class folks, specifically working class folks who aren't donating to his campaigns. If you're a teacher or a government employee who doesn't have an (R) next to your name, the well has run dry. If you're a private contractor who gives to Republicans, please make an orderly line and grab a bucket.

So you are thinking the wealthy republican private contractor (who may or may not be the one who gets this contract) is doing all the work himself and doesn't have working class (possibly union) employees doing the actual work and getting paid for it?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:19 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:So you are thinking the wealthy republican private contractor (who may or may not be the one who gets this contract) is doing all the work himself and doesn't have working class (possibly union) employees doing the actual work and getting paid for it?

No. I think the contractor will do very little work, pay themselves handsomely, and pay the workers jack shit. Oh, jeez, here I go assuming again. Whatever, keep being an apologist for an over inflated project.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Oh, jeez, here I go assuming again. Whatever, keep being an apologist for an over inflated project.

Like this whole thread isn't about making assumptions (on all of our parts). It doesn't look like the project has actually been finalized as of yet so any thing we think about it is quite possibly wrong.

Anyway seeing as Walker actually seems to be paying attention to public outcry over the spending and withdrew the request for general funds to pay for it, that point seems rather moot. If Tonette can manage to talk $500K out of friendly donors, I don't see a problem with her getting a better/safer kitchen for the staff to work in. If she can score a nicer kitchenette in the process, I'm sure the next resident will appreciate it as well. Hopefully in 2 years.

jman111 wrote:If money is as tight as has been claimed (we're broke! remember?), the safety hazard(s) could be addressed without a full remodel. Would you rebuild your car's engine if the oil filter was leaking?

The difference of course being that an oil filter can be removed without affecting the overall structure of the engine. An industrial oven or stove hood & ventilation system generally doesn't unscrew from the building it is in that easily.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
jman111 wrote:If money is as tight as has been claimed (we're broke! remember?), the safety hazard(s) could be addressed without a full remodel. Would you rebuild your car's engine if the oil filter was leaking?

The difference of course being that an oil filter can be removed without affecting the overall structure of the engine. An industrial oven or stove hood & ventilation system generally doesn't unscrew from the building it is in that easily.

OK, what if your oil pan leaked? Radiator?

The point is,if you had recently spent considerable time complaining that you were "broke" and had chosen to make cuts to your grocery budget, your medical expenses, and/or other important line items in your personal budget, would you choose to borrow money to rebuild the engine of a seldom-used car (or restore the entire vehicle) when it only needed a relatively minor repair?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 pm

jman111 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:

OK, what if your oil pan leaked? Radiator?

The point is,if you had recently spent considerable time complaining that you were "broke" and had chosen to make cuts to your grocery budget, your medical expenses, and/or other important line items in your personal budget, would you choose to borrow money to rebuild the engine of a seldom-used car (or restore the entire vehicle) when it only needed a relatively minor repair?

It depends. how old is the car? Are there other issue with the car that need to be addressed at some point soon? Is this my car or am I borrowing it from someone else who will get value from the improvements further down the road? For that mater am I the primary driver, or is it used by my employees primarily where I might want to ensure it is adequate and safe for their use?

Also I love the idea that tearing out and replacing the ventilation system and hoods from an institutional kitchen is a minor repair.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Who said that it had to be removed and replaced?
Is there a repair option?

Edit: typo
Last edited by jman111 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: If Tonette can manage to talk $500K out of friendly donors, I don't see a problem with her getting a better/safer kitchen for the staff to work in.

I fully agree.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:21 pm

jman111 wrote:Who said that it had to be removed and replaced?
Is there a repair option?

Edit: typo

Not knowing what much about how ventilation systems in kitchens actually work (other than you shouldn't hit that nozzle that sprays out fire suppressants), nor what is actually broken in the vents, any answer either way would be pure assumption on my part.

I am willing to assume that if the ventilation equipment is actually letting water in and they have a jury rigged fix that is standard practice, they have already tried to repair it at some point.

How much would you spend to repair a car if you know the car will need further repairs fairly soon? At a certain point replacement becomes the cheaper option.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government