MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:No, it's the price of gun control laws and policies that create unsecured "gun free zones" virtually guaranteeing nobody will be present who might be able to mount a effective defense. Do you think it's a coincidence that this is the typical location for this sort of crime? I'd appreciate a reply to that question.

Take a look at where most rapes happen, and then tell me if the answer is outlawing vaginas, underpants, or the right to withhold consent.

(The answer, you pig, is that you outlaw the offender, not the victim.)

I guess using gun control advocates' reasoning, to prevent rape they'd outlaw having a penis.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Dangerousman wrote:If you choose to remain unarmed, I'm perfectly fine with it and respect your decision. Too bad you're unable to return a similar level of respect for the choices others make.

How many people who have chosen to remain unarmed have committed mass shootings?

Your position is asinine, your call for respect is a joke. Indefensible.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I guess using gun control advocates' reasoning, to prevent rape they'd outlaw having a penis.

No, they'd outlaw whipping it out at an elementary school.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Too bad you're unable to return a similar level of respect for the choices others make.

I was reacting to your statement that this horrible shooting is merely collateral damage of your political opponents' policies, ass.

I'd have a lot more respect for gun rights advocates if any of you seemed capable of exhibiting something akin to a human emotion at times like this. Christ, you can't even preface your remarks with the slightest rebuke of gun-toting freaks like whomever perpetrated this mass slaughter.

And like it or not, given your outspokenness on all things Second Amendment, calling yourself "Dangerousman" makes you seem like you must be a totally oblivious fucking asshole, and never is that underscored more boldly than at times like these.

But hey, that's America, right? You're entitled to your precious weapons and I'm entitled to my ill opinion of your character.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Is it any coincidence the majority of mass shootings occurs in the country that fetishizes gun ownership?
https://secure.huffingtonpost.com/2012/ ... 88820.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:27 pm

This might be a turning point. Obama was on TV and said "meaningful action must be taken, regardless of the politics." About time.

Now cue the NRA: We told you Obama wants to take away your guns.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Now cue the NRA: We told you Obama wants to take away your guns.

Oh Hank, it's only a matter of how many hours we are away from these nut cases implying that Barry Obama orchestrated this event to push his anti-gun campaign.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm

DCB wrote:Is it any coincidence the majority of mass shootings occurs in the country that fetishizes gun ownership?
https://secure.huffingtonpost.com/2012/ ... 88820.html

We fetishize violence to a far greater degree than guns.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:44 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm numb right now

I don't ever want to understand what makes someone kill a child but I so want to know why; to be able to put some kind of meaning to this horrible tragedy.

The truth is a gun may have made Ryan Lanza's goal easier to achieve, but it did not make him devalue human life. It did not make him think that killing an innocent child was ok. Taking away guns will not fix this underlying problem, and until we face that horrible reality and begin to address it, the tragedies will only grow worse.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:11 pm

The right to bear arms is a constitutional right, just a precious as the first amendment. It's not about hunting. It's about protecting ones self from personal assault and, more importantly, a rogue government. God bless the victims and their families.

As the story below proves, crazy will find a way:

22 children and elderly woman stabbed outside primary school by Chinese knifeman No motive was given for the stabbings, which echo a string of similar assaults against schoolchildren in 2010
Latest in series of similar attacks at Chinese schools and kindergartens

A knife-wielding man injured 22 children and an elderly woman outside a primary school in central China as students were arriving for classes.
The attack took place in the Henan province village of Chengping just before 8am, said a local police officer.

The attacker, 36-year-old villager Min Yingjun, is now in police custody, according to an officer who declined to give her name, as is customary among Chinese civil servants.
It is the latest in a series of similar periodic rampages at Chinese schools and kindergartens.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2F3xjSQpJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:12 pm

The Hartford Courant is reporting one entire classroom of children cannot be accounted for. The President, also a parent, holds a news conference and is in tears. And the hardcore Second Amendment faction is concerned, on this very day, that we might restrict the ability of nearly anybody to not only have a gun and carry it wherever they please, but bring it into a school unquestioned? While the rest of us are waiting for the predictable assertion the problem is not too many guns, but rather not enough people being armed?

What a caricature this political stance, along with this whole country, has become.

The devaluation of human life goes right along with the demented notion one can solve one's personal problems, whatever they are, by killing someone else. Hand in glove.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Consider, Second Amendment absolutists.

A knife-wielding man injured 22 children and an elderly woman outside a primary school in central China

A knife-wielding man injured 22 children and an elderly woman

injured 22

injured

And then.

A gunman killed 26 people, 20 of them children between the ages of 5 and 10, in a shooting

If you're going to rail against what you see as false moral equivalence in other conversations, you better bring something better than this weak fucking knife shit to a gun conversation.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:The truth is a gun may have made Ryan Lanza's goal easier to achieve, but it did not make him devalue human life. It did not make him think that killing an innocent child was ok. Taking away guns will not fix this underlying problem, and until we face that horrible reality and begin to address it, the tragedies will only grow worse.

I find it hard to believe that we have so many more people in this country who devalue human life than there are in all the countries in OJ's post back there, combined.

If we do, then you're right we have a much bigger problem than we thought. But I'm skeptical. I don't think we have that many more psychopaths. I think all these guns we got make it easier for them to act out.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Ned, I agree it is a constitutional right, although one with many many qualifications. But that doesn't make it an absolute right. Read what Sno just said, and see if you can find it in your Grinch of a heart to actually be a human being for a change.

I cried when I read about it--maybe because the school I now teach at is not just a high school, but all grades. And I get to see dozens of wonderful happy little kids walking around the place every day, and the teachers that shepherd them around the place, and the parents who come to pick them up every day. It makes me cry again just thinking about this horrible tragedy.

Damn it, can you NRA types just manage to be human for a day or so? Yeah, this might actually result in some sorts of restrictions on guns. Is that more important than those 26 lives? Really?
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines