MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

WI WATER USE: Mining & More

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

WI WATER USE: Mining & More

Postby richjohn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:24 pm

As our WI/Midwest drought continues from summer into winter, I wonder about our clean water, our polluted water, and how we Wisconsinites are making choices about water use. One issue we can control is the re emergence of wanting to do major mining up in Northern WI makes me wonder if that is a wise decision. Sure people sell it as jobs issues, and though there some questions about that being true in the long run, but a more serious overarching question to me is: how will our underground and our waterways be affected/depleted by mining? Is quickly pulling hundreds of thousands of gallons of clean water out of our aquifers to be briefly used (and contaminated) for non-drinking/farming use really a wise idea? And where will this used up polluted water be dumped? Into rivers and steams for further pollution?

We are the stewards of water. Our adult bodies are 60% water. We live in a closed eco-system. There is no new water on Earth. We need to make our best decisions about how to: use water, conserve water, and clean up polluted water, to insure drinking water for us and our future generations to live.
richjohn

Re: WI WATER USE: Mining & More

Postby ouroborus4 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 pm

excellent topic. Not only are we in the middle of a severe drought, but it is possible this will last for years or decades (take Texas as an example). Personally, I take a 'navy shower' and use rain barrels as primary ways of saving water, with a few other small things along the way. Its unfortunate that the economy and focus on jobs tends to trump preservation of our natural resources and thereby the health of ourselves and future populations. I think the mine will be a travesty on our most precious resource.
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Re: WI WATER USE: Mining & More

Postby fennel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:43 pm

So our last bill was on the order of 31 CCF which is really high for a two person household that has water-saving toilets, manual dishwasing procedures, and so on. But we also have a fair number of young trees that needed some wet love this past summer. (Still, we lost a few, damn it!)

We don't care if our lawn turns to toast but feel a need to take care of the trees. (Because they're furry and they purr! ... in their own way.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government