MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Open Mic New Glarus

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Open Mic New Glarus

Postby newglarusman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:36 am

Kleeman's Bar New Glarus is hosting an open mic at 8:00 pm January 08, 2013. Tentatively scheduled for an hour, but could go as long as things are hopping. This is a nice venue and a microphone and speakers will be provided, though it will be quite simple. Frankly, I could play an acoustic unamped and fill the place with sound. If a lot of people show up, it will turn into an impromptu jam, and anyone reading poetry better be ready to do it to music. Bring your friends drink New Glarus Beer, or any of the dozens of other brands, or liquor if you wish. Plenty of local hotel space if you want to get serious. If you want to contact me, I"m on Facebook, Patrick O'Brien, New Glarus, easy enough to find, but really just come to downtown New Glarus, and ask for Kleeman's; everyone will know. The bar owner is insisting that whoever plays doesn't suck, so if you suck, practice.. Local talent will be there, and a good chance to get seen outside Madison, in a town where people like good music, and like to rock it out. See ya there.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Open Mic New Glarus

Postby newglarusman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:01 pm

By the way, admission and stage time are free, the beer is not.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:45 pm

By the way, singers, if there is something you want to sing but can't play an instrument, and don't know anyone who can play, with enough warning, maybe I can back you up, and I can also do background vocals.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:34 am

Due to strong interest, I am offering an advance registration option. You can advance register by contacting me via my Skype: atopenmic
You will need to check in by 7:30 in person at Kleeman's in order to hold your place, or be taken in the order of your arrival.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:55 am

We have our first registrant, and he's talking a lot of smack. Just what we're looking for. :).
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:54 am

That makes two guitarists, one lead, one rhythm, one drummer, so if you want to sing and you can't play, knowing what you want to sing is going to help someone prepare to assist you. In addition to my Skype account, you can contact me at info@independentlifeandhealth.com.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 pm

The lead guitarist also plays harmonica., and he's out of Evansville.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 am

We have our first virtuoso, a local guy that among other instruments plays guitar and mandolin. He offered to play Stevie Ray Vaughn, with yours truly on the mic, and offered an Irish jig on the mandolin. He also studies British literature, and works as a sound man, though not in that capacity mic night. We're lucky to have him.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Poster preview

Postby newglarusman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:29 pm

openmicpic2.jpg
openmicpic2.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am

Talked with a local dj, with a full skill set, including a Les Paul. Said he'd be there.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm

We've settled on our sound system. It's a Yamaha 300 PA system, very nice. With any luck, we'll testing it out next Tuesday at Kleeman's.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:05 am

Just want to send out some love to the folks at Sugar River Lanes in Belleville. They ran an open jam tonight and were kind enough to let me do a couple of songs on my unamped acoustic. Some challenging music was played by the folks who came out to play, and they could play, and so could the band. They're running another session on the 27th of December 8-11, and a couple more in January. Solid band.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Got a definite commitment from local former member of Dead Fly Boy, who once opened for Quiet Riot, before they were Quiet Riot, woohoo. He's going to be playing his Takamine electric acoustic.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:25 am

The acoustics in this place are great!
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newglarusman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:28 am

I should mention that this is a good sized hall, and brand spanking new. This ain't no coffeehouse gig.
newglarusman
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music